Profile for Music lover > Reviews

Content by Music lover

Music lover (Kent, England)

Stars
Stars
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Having loved their debut album by the time they had got ..., 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Stars (Audio CD)
I have a strange relationship with this album. Having loved their debut album by the time they had got to releasing "Stars" I was feeling strongly that they had sold out to the "middle-of-the-road" (middle-aged) stereotype and were just in it for the album sales and money.

Clearly, the album had strong qualities but I just felt that they hadn't progressed in the way that many other bands who started in the same era had done (e.g. U2, TalkTalk, Simple Minds). Not fulfilled ŵhat I felt was their awesome potential.

But, having just back-filled my new hi- fi set-up with albums I had originally owned as vinyl I must confess that this album now sits very comfortably on its own time-tested merits as a classic of its genre with great songs throughout presented in startlingly-good recording quality.

Just does exactly what it ever alluded to on its "tin" and never presumed to be anything than the perfect proponent of this style of music that it undoubtedly is.

Thousands will be enjoying this music long after I am dead and gone, so who am I to argue?

If you can't beat 'em join 'em!........and I am very happy to do so !

Buy and enjoy.

Circle of one (1990)
Circle of one (1990)
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars by Tears For Fears ( so thanks to those guys who are also absolutely awesome) oleta Adams is and was (from late eighties onwards, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Circle of one (1990) (Audio CD)
Discovered, bizarrely, by Tears For Fears ( so thanks to those guys who are also absolutely awesome) oleta Adams is and was (from late eighties onwards) an absolute superstar with THE most astonishingly perfect, soulful and powerful gift of a voice (she would say from God).

Watch her, first, from those days in the sublime Tears For Fears concert you can find on YouTube (and DVD) called "Going To California" and feel yourself falling in love with her. As a TFF fan alone I wish I could have been there myself to watch them and their fantastic backing singers and band but, oh!! Then there was Oleta on piano (great pianist), and being given the respect by the TFF guys ( at v. Considerable risk to themselves) by being allowed to share lead vocals throughout the concert. Everyone on top form but a star is also born in front of your eyes.

Oleta sings one of the tracks from this album in that concert and the rest of the tracks are really strong, coupled with a particularly fine recording quality ( spoken as a true hi-fi fanatic!).

Personally I feel that Oleta has a voice to easily rival her more commercial "diva" sisters over the last 25/30 yrs ( the Whitneys, Mariah's, Celine's, Beyoncé's et al) but compared to all of them never quite achieved (sought?) the sustained commercial quality of songs and success they had, so did not achieve the level of fame her talent so richly deserves.

This is a really good album showcasing one of the greatest but least well-appreciated female singing talents of the last 2/3 decades.

Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Bon Iver, Bon Iver

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly Beautiful Music!, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
This album took me completely by surprise. I stumbled upon it via my love for Talk Talk's utterly sublime album "Spirit of Eden" and reading reviews of that which mentioned Bon Iver as having been influenced by that masterpiece.

It has just got so under my skin with its subtle musicality and Justin Vernon's natural progression from his hugely well-received debut album "for Emma, Forever Ago" - a great album too.

But this album (the "difficult 2nd album") after such a cult success, is a natural progression of the searingly honest and painful emotions that made "For Emma" so important to so many people (check the reviews). It seems to me the sound of someone who is gradually healing and there's a more uplifting, full-bodied tone to most of these songs than the purposeful melancholy of "For Emma".

Whilst "Emma" is soft and delicate and mirrors the desolate iciness of where & when it was recorded this follow-up moves a similar but more vigorous and optimistic palette to what I feel is a much higher level of artistic accomplishment. He is helped in this by the absolutely superb array of musicians he has gathered around him.

The end result is an album that is a delight. But then it grows on you. And after repeated listens all the way through (it is one of those rare beasts ) you realise that this album and artist and band are going to remain a very important part of your musical life.

I cannot recommend this highly enough. One of my favourite albums ever - and I am 56 yrs old!! Solid gold 5 stars.

Sleight of hand (1986)
Sleight of hand (1986)
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Part of the soundtrack of my life!, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: Sleight of hand (1986) (Audio CD)
I can't believe that I am the first to leave a review of this superb album.

It takes me back effortlessly to long, happy days of music nights with my friends through ridiculously high-end hi-fi with the volume hard against the stopper, fuelled by copious amounts of red wine - well, it was the eighties!

The, admittedly, high cost of this CD is, I think, a major factor in it seeming invisibility but I would recommend it as good value even if the only 4 tracks were , Jessie, Figure of Speech, Don Juan and Reach Out.

The whole album is really well-recorded and dynamic with fantastic, heartfelt lyrics delivered with such passion and intensity. Utterly compelling (I want to be the first thing that comes to your mind when you wake up to the day. I want that very special love you hold on to. I want that passion.......I won't play with words. You could fire my desire. Don't break my heart!).

Her best album and long may it be mine alone!