Profile for Mike Garnier > Reviews

Content by Mike Garnier

Mike Garnier (Bristol UK)

NEW MAGIC COIN SLIDES MAGIC TRICK MAGICIAN NOVELTY GIFT
NEW MAGIC COIN SLIDES MAGIC TRICK MAGICIAN NOVELTY GIFT
Offered by Fancy Dress Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer joy!, 2 Dec. 2014
I bought this as a birthday present for a 5 year-old grandson. It took me a couple of minutes to show him how to do the trick & the look of total delight on his face each time he made the coin disappear or changed a penny into a 5p piece was just wonderful!
His teenage cousins also enjoyed performing the trick when he finally let them have a go!

Q Garden QGBV2500 Leaf Blower Vacuum - Green/ Black
Q Garden QGBV2500 Leaf Blower Vacuum - Green/ Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant machine, 3 Dec. 2013
I've had a Black & Decker blower/vac for some time, but the bag doesn't fit tightly enough, so "leaks" grass and small leaves, and when collecting leaves, the bag fills & requires emptying in no time. So, in view of the price and the excellent reviews for this QGarden machine, I decided to give it a go - and I'm thrilled with it! Very easy to use, it makes clearing my garden of leaves (from 2 sycamores and a large mulberry) a joy! The only thing to watch out for is not to try shredding leaves from flowerbeds when the soil is wet, as it will suck up earth and then need taking apart to clean out all the clogged mud (which I did the second time I used it!)
Definitely recommend

Folk Roots, New Routes
Folk Roots, New Routes

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything everyone's being saying about it is true!, 3 Dec. 2013
Don't know why it's taken me so long to get this CD - but now I have, I just wish I'd bought the original LP when it first came out!

French Guitar (Solo Guitar Picking)
French Guitar (Solo Guitar Picking)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful playing, 3 Dec. 2013
I happened upon a clip of Francois Sciortino, who I'd never heard of before and liked it so much I downloaded the CD. The whole thing is a real joy - beautiful playing and good variety of sounds and techniques. Don't know why he's not better known - he certainly deserves to be.

Osram DULUX Energy-Saving Bulb with Light Sensor EL Sensor 15 W E27
Osram DULUX Energy-Saving Bulb with Light Sensor EL Sensor 15 W E27
Offered by The Lightbulb Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Light-Sensor Bulb is the Answer!, 18 Sept. 2013
For the past 15 years, I have had a low-wattage garden light staying on all night triggered by a separate light sensor. The sensor recently stopped working, so the light stayed on all the time.
I was on the point of buying a whole new light plus sensor, when I chanced upon this bulb, for a quarter of what a new light would have cost.
It does the job perfectly and I'm thrilled with it!

The Book of GIMP: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything
The Book of GIMP: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything
by Olivier Lecarme

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 July 2013
On first using GIMP, with no manual or other guide to help, I was at a complete loss, although I have used Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop Elements for many years. Other reviews of The Book of GIMP were largely positive, so, although it's not cheap, I went for it. So glad I did - it's got everything I was looking for, containing an introductory tutorial section which walks you through all the basics, followed by a very good reference section.

A definite must-have for anyone wanting to get to grips with GIMP.

Sumex Race Sport COVER1M Full Car Cover 430 x 160 x 120 cm Medium Size Weather- and Waterproof

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 3 July 2013
My car is garaged overnight under a large tree, which is home to many incontinent pigeons. The cover keeps all the tree and bird debris off my paintwork. It's very easy to take on and off (I have acquired a large plastic box to store it in when not in use - larger and easier than trying to refold it every time to a size which would fit in the bag provided), the elasticated front and back keep it securely in place without the need to use the cord as well and overall I'm delighted with it.

A Little History of the World
A Little History of the World
by Ernst Gombrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for your grandchildren!, 25 July 2010
A friend recommended this after reading it to her children, aged 11 & 10. So I bought it with a view to giving it to my 12 year old granddaughter, but thought I should read it myself first! I was captivated and only wished I'd been given a copy myself when I was her age. Beautifully, yet simply, told, it makes "sense" of the history of humankind in a way that leaves you breathless. It's so refreshing to read a work of history that, while acknowledging the influence of "great" political and military leaders, does not glory in their exploits and pays appropriate tribute to the development of ideas across the centuries. I'm sure my granddaughter will love it and will hopefully learn a great deal from it.

Guitar Book
Guitar Book
by P. Bensusan
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than just another guitar book, 23 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Guitar Book (Spiral-bound)
Although I've been playing guitar for over 45 years, I've tended to steer clear of alternative tunings (even though I'm a fan of guitarists like John Renbourn and Martin Simpson), believing anything other than standard tuning (with the occasional dropped D) to be too limiting and fiddly. But when I recently came across the work of Pierre Bensusan (through Acoustic Magazine), I was finally persuaded that DADGAD at least might be worth a go. Having now bought his Guitar Book, I am a total convert. The book itself is a total joy - both its presentation and of course its contents. The exercises are excellent training for the fingers and the pieces are sufficiently varied and challenging to provide me with material to work on for at least another 45 years!
If you're a reasonably proficient guitarist and are thinking of giving DADGAD a try, this is surely a MUST BUY (togther with at least a couple of Bensusan's recordings).