Profile for D > Reviews

Content by D

D

Page: 1 | 2
Five Red Herrings (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery)
Five Red Herrings (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery)
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Just my kettle of fish, 8 Sep 2013
I can almost hear Ian Carmichael speaking Lord Wimsey's words as I read this, remembering a TV series decades ago; but what I really like is the comfy feel of a mystery woven by another excellent female writer in the thirties, and set in the beautiful Borders.

Potette Plus Green
Potette Plus Green
Offered by Baby Lurve
Price: 15.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Potette Plus Green (Baby Product)
I bought this some time ago for my (then) 2and a half year old granddaughter, after we had had a disruptive visit to a park where the toilets were a long walk away from the play area. I was quite shocked when it arrived that the "liners" were basically a half-nappy in a plastic bag, but the biggest problem was that the potty was just too small. For this reason, it is not even very effective as a toilet seat. It's a shame because the idea is a good one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2014 11:01 PM BST

The Snow Goose
The Snow Goose
by Paul Gallico
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Neglected classic, 29 May 2013
This review is from: The Snow Goose (Hardcover)
A classic short story by Paul Gallico, which took quite a bit of tracking down. I am especially pleased with this beautifully illustrated book.
The tale of a young girl, an injured swan, and an unlikely hero. Read it if you get the chance.

The Harlequin Tea Set: An Agatha Christie Short Story
The Harlequin Tea Set: An Agatha Christie Short Story
Price: 0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Afternoon delight, 29 May 2013
I was introduced to Harley Quin when I worked at a tiny sub-branch library three decades ago. This story in particular is a special delight to me, as my Mam did have a harlequin tea set. Even I have to admit the plot is rather thin for the Queen of Crime, but the book is still a pleasure to read.

The Case of the Missing Lady: An Agatha Christie Short Story
The Case of the Missing Lady: An Agatha Christie Short Story
Price: 0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy find, 29 May 2013
Quirky story with a gentle joke at the end - many years since I first met Tommy and Tuppence but they still hold their charm.

My Baptism Book
My Baptism Book
by Sophie Piper
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for a small child, 8 April 2013
This review is from: My Baptism Book (Hardcover)
I ordered this for my granddaughter's baptism - at 2 years old she is too young to understand what the occasion is all about, but my prayer is that this lovely book will help her know and and feel the love of God.

Harry Potter Hermione Granger Wand
Harry Potter Hermione Granger Wand
Offered by Wish4 - Toys, Games & Fancy Dress
Price: 5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars magic!, 8 April 2013
Bought this for my 3 year old granddaughter as a prop for a dance show - she was a little disappointed it did not light up or make a noise like her fairy wand, but cheered up when her dance teacher said it was "perfect" for the "Harry Potter" sequence. The show was delightful!

Alfie's Shop (World Book Day Edition 2013)
Alfie's Shop (World Book Day Edition 2013)
by Shirley Hughes

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Alfie, 8 April 2013
Bought for World book Day, but great to have the "Alfie" books brought to a new generation. Storylines nice and simple for little ones, illustrations attractive for all ages.

Giraffes Can't Dance Colouring and Puzzle Fun: World Book Day Edition 2013
Giraffes Can't Dance Colouring and Puzzle Fun: World Book Day Edition 2013
by Giles Andreae
Price: 1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Dance and draw with the giraffes!, 8 April 2013
A good accompaniment for the "Giraffes Can't Dance" book which my grandchildren and Toddler Group have already enjoyed. I would say some of the puzzles in this booklet are a little advanced for the age group likely to be reading the original book, but nevertheless a fun way to complement the story.

A Child's First Book of Prayers
A Child's First Book of Prayers
by Lois Rock
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Much wider age range than title suggests, 10 Nov 2012
I bought this intending it for my 3 year old grandchild, but most of the prayers are not really simple enough for that age group. However, it is a lovely book with a good selection of prayers, beautifully presented and illustrated; a book that can grow with a child and become a famiy treasure. My only objection is to the title - I don't think it is suitable for a first book of prayers. I am tempted to keep it myself! but I will probably give it to my 9-year old for Christmas.

Page: 1 | 2