0 of 3 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars
Among other issues, the antithesis of Mac-friendly., 28 Feb 2012
This Synology device, and any Synology device with a similar file system, is not Mac-friendly. It is the antithesis of Mac-friendly if only for one reason:
The ext4 file system.
The ext4 file system disallows particular file name character combinations to the extent that many files on an HFS+ file system (i.e. Mac's) simply cannot be transferred onto the device.
Including, but not limited to, ANY file with / or a leading ._ in the file name, which is relatively common among Mac files.
Why custom partitioning is not allowed is a mystery to me. If there is no way around the issue, it's a bad system for Macs, period. Anyone who tells you otherwise probably doesn't use NAS for network file storage and sharing, which is supposed to be any NAS's main job.
In summary, Synology and Mac, as they currently stand, do not mix well.
Not to mention, ._ is also a possible combination in file names in NTFS file sytems (i.e. Windows'). So Windows users should keep an eye out as well.
Besides the above issue,
- As others have experienced, the device sometimes shut down abnormally, which can cause other issues to data.
- When an error occurs during file transfer, the entire transfer stops with no option to continue it. Not fun for massive transfers.
- Sometimes the device seems to just stop whatever it's doing for no reason, although it doesn't shut down. This could include stopping a reboot after a setting update, for example.
- The device also has trouble accessing hard drives with partially corrupt data, whereas my Mac accesses it just fine.
- The system is generally not very user-friendly. Related settings are scattered across a vague control panel, and the help files aren't very in-depth (often, more comprehensive online documentation may need to be found).
- The device has been really really slow at transferring files to date, despite a sufficiently strong internet connection. In combination with the above issues, what should have taken a few hours has turned into days. NOT FUN AT ALL!
- To exacerbate the above point, transfer session details seem to be minimal: e.g. no '# files transferred' number, or whatever, and the other values update only occasionally, often leaving one in the dark, with no indication that anything at all is being transferred....