Profile for Captain Crash > Reviews

Captain Crash

Draper Expert 45577 30 cc Petrol Brush Cutter and Line Trimmer
Draper Expert 45577 30 cc Petrol Brush Cutter and Line Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine from Draper Tools, 13 July 2014
Bought this machine to replace one just out of warranty, that my local dealer couldn't fix after having it for 3 weeks. Have just given it a thorough testing and I'm really impressed with it. Found it easy to start, not like some two strokes, in fact, my daughter borrowed it today and she started it straight away - and she's a girl!.
The motor has a powerful feel to it and runs smoothly. Weight seems average for this type of machine, being neither heavy nor light. When edging the lawn with the machine inverted, the shape of the trimmer guard actually allows you to see where the edge is being cut, unlike some guards which means you're cutting blind. The machine is well balanced and the harness is better quality than some I've had in the past.
Drapers seem to be accessible if you need to talk to them and there is a full parts list included with the instruction book which covers most things well but omits the fitting of the handle (simple enough) the thickness of the trimmer nylon (2mm, I think) and the book says 25:1 two stroke mixture and should now read 40:1.
The only criticism is with the trimmer head which has loose two washers and a loose spring inside and I would describe reloading with trimmer nylon a bit fiddly. I wouldn't knock off a star for this as it's such a great brush cutter/trimmer for the money, but when reloading the nylon line don't do it over long grass in case you lose the loose bits.

Bicycling Magazine's Illustrated Guide to Bicycle Maintenance
Bicycling Magazine's Illustrated Guide to Bicycle Maintenance
by Todd Downs

4.0 out of 5 stars Illustrated Bicycle Maintenance, 11 Dec 2010
Having changed my road bike, bought in 1975, for a new mountain bike, I couldn't help but notice that my tattered copy of Richards Bicycle Book was somewhat out of date. The Illustrated Bicycle Book seemed to be an ideal replacement.
Very comprehensive starting with the history of the bicycle and covering all types of bikes and their required maintenance. Even modern road bikes are quite different in some areas to earlier models so an updated book was overdue for me. I imagined this book was of American origin, but as I had bought an American bike, a Giant Rainier, it should be ok. The spelling is UK english not US english (eg tyre not tire) so I could be wrong.
The first task I wanted to do was bleed the hydraulic disc brakes. Disappointingly, however, this was not covered in any detail and the author refers you to the manufacturers manual (which did not exist at the time) claiming there are a number of different types and they couldn't all be shown. I eventually managed to get the technical sheets from Giant and was able to complete the job.
Since then most maintenance work I've done is in the book and apart from the initial disappointment, I have found the book to be very useful in bringing me up to date, and I would recommend it.

The Shack
The Shack
by Wm Paul Young

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shack, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
Some of the reviews of this book are as much a Theological Thesis as a review, but all I will say is that this is truly the first book in my life that I couldn't put down.
Highly recommended to make you think. Read it and make your own mind up.

Black and Decker Gk1640tk Chainsaw - 40cm Bar Complete With Cable
Black and Decker Gk1640tk Chainsaw - 40cm Bar Complete With Cable

3.0 out of 5 stars Black and Decker 1640 Chainsaw, 10 Dec 2010
Bought on price and it worked very well at first, but after a while a few annoying faults developed. It was repaired under warranty three times during the warranty period and I frequently had to stop and retension the chain (a fiddley job) while logging.
I have since bought a similar item by Bosch and although a little more expensive I've cut up several large trees with it without any problems whatsoever.
If you are only going to use the saw occasionally, I would still recommend it for the price, as I passed it onto a friend who's still using it, but if you need a hardworking saw then I suggest you spend a bit more.

Tone Ringer for Loud Ring Volume
Tone Ringer for Loud Ring Volume

5.0 out of 5 stars Telephone Loud Ringer, 10 Dec 2010
Living in a large house, I often missed phone calls especially as some of the modern cordless phones don't have such a loud ring.
This item solved the problem with a good loud tone and I haven't missed any calls since. It also flashes red when ringing so, as long as it's positioned in a visible location, it would be useful for someone who's hard of hearing

Faithfull Hickory Axe Handle 36In X 2.1/2IN
Faithfull Hickory Axe Handle 36In X 2.1/2IN

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Axe Handle, 10 Dec 2010
Made from from Hickory, traditionally the best wood for an axe handle, this was the perfect size for my axe head. Size matters, and you need to buy the one that needs shaving down slightly for a tight fit before finally driving the wedge in. Excellent price from Amazon - very competitive, especially if you go for the free delivery option.