Profile for SL on Amazon > Reviews

Content by SL on Amazon

SL on Amazon (Derbyshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Daily Ukulele: Leap Year Edition: 366 More Great Songs for Better Living (Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Songbooks)
by Liz Beloff
Edition: Plastic Comb
Price: 18.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 1 Mar 2014
I love this book - there are so many great tunes in it of varying degrees of difficulty so you never get bored. This "leap year" edition has an added feature on A FEW songs - tabs that help you finger pick familiar riffs on famous tunes (e.g. Beatles Nowhere Man and And I Love Her). As a beginner, this is useful for me and it's a thrill to hear something roughly resembling the tune after a bit of practise. The tunes vary from really old traditional standards to 60s and 70s pop. There's not much really modern music, but that's OK by me. Some of the tunes I don't know, but I search them out on YouTube and so am learning some music that is new to me too, so that's a bonus. Highly recommended.

Black Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012 Model) Case Cover (Second Updated Version of Case) - Retail Packed Executive Multi Function Standby Case with Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake feature for the Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012 Model) - (8GB,16GB,32GB Wi-Fi or 32GB 3G HSPA+) + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen (Available in Mutiple Colors)
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS
Price: 34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value product, 23 Nov 2013
This is a good value case for the Nexus 7. It includes a stylus to "point" with and a screen protector (got a few bubbles though). The case is sturdy and looks good. You can turn it into a "stand" by folding the cover round the back and clipping it in place with a clip on the back. I am finding it really useful.

Easy Songs for Ukulele: Play the Melodies of 20 Pop, Folk, Country, and Blues Songs (Hal Leonard Ukulele Method)
by Lil' Rev
Price: 4.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 23 Nov 2013
This is a good book for beginners who are learning to play the uke. Chord diagrams are shown over musical notation and tabs are also included underneath (I'm not sure what these mean though!). There's a good selection of familiar pop/folk/country songs here (20) and they are arranged with very simple chords. I'd recommend getting one of these "Easy" books to begin with and then work your way up to the more difficult uke books that are out there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 6:30 PM GMT

Highway Patrol
Highway Patrol
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great song, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Highway Patrol (MP3 Download)
Heard this on Jules Holland and had to buy it. Love the humour and style of this and the gee-tar playing is first class.

Ukulele Chord Songbook: The Beatles
Ukulele Chord Songbook: The Beatles
by Various
Price: 10.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but a bit advanced for me!!!, 23 Nov 2013
This is really good value as it contains 100 songs including songs by all 4 Beatle songwriters. Chord diagrams are shown at the beginning of each song plus a diagram of the first note and the first stave of music. Note: full musical notation is NOT provided. As a beginner I really need the chord diagrams above the words but this would have been a much bigger book if it had been done that way. I would say this is a book for advanced uke players - there are some very complicated chords here. There's the odd 3 chord song ("Love Me Do") but most have a lot of different chords - I counted 20 in "Mother Nature's Son" (I didn't know Paul McCartney knew that many chords). Anyway, it's all good stuff and maybe one day I'll be good enough to play the more difficult tunes. It's certainly given me a new appreciation of the Beatles and their songs and it's a joy to read the lyrics of songs like "Across the Universe" even though I can't play it on the uke yet!

Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Country
Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Country
by Jim Beloff
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - I love it!, 23 Nov 2013
As a beginner to ukelele, this is a great book with an excellent range of classic country songs. It includes chord diagrams along the music, which is ideal for me as I'm still learning them. It also has complete musical notation, which means you could pick out the tune on the uke if you are good enough (I'm not!). There are some really slow tunes which is great for a beginner and some more lively ones that I can aspire to. I'm finding it a great help to me learning the uke and a lot of fun too. Five stars from me!

Bob Dylan for Ukulele
Bob Dylan for Ukulele
by Bob Dylan
Price: 8.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for strummers, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Bob Dylan for Ukulele (Paperback)
This book has a good selection of songs (23) and includes chord diagrams and strumming patterns but no actual musical notation. This is tricky if you don't know the tune (I'll be searching on YouTube to find some of them). As I'm a beginner and learning to play the chords, this is fine for me but would be disappointing if you want to play the tune (which you can't). Most of the chords are pretty simple so it should be OK for my (beginner) level.

Esposti Condolence Book
Esposti Condolence Book
Offered by FiveBoys Stationery Ltd
Price: 11.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Very tasteful, 2 July 2013
Very good, tasteful book of condolence and a reasonable price compared to similar items. A good idea for a funeral to capture the names and comments of people who attended so you can have this as a keepsake or heirloom for your family.

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting facts but ..., 2 July 2013
I love QI and was delighted to get this book on Kindle for just 20p! However I would say the drawback with this book is it's literally just a long list of facts - no context or background is given to any of the statements so it often leaves me wondering "how do they know that?". Not as satisfying as the original QI book of general ignorance, which does give the background to all the fascinating facts contained in that book. Still, this is worth getting as well.

British Legends: The Life and Legacy of Charlie Chaplin
British Legends: The Life and Legacy of Charlie Chaplin
Price: 2.05

3.0 out of 5 stars OK as it was free!, 2 July 2013
What I like about this book is (a) it was free when I got it and (b) it has some pictures of Charlie in it. Other than that it has a lot of shortcomings - a few factual errors and a lot of "opinion". This reads like a college thesis rather than a proper book. For a definitive book about Charlie Chaplin I recommend the David Robinson biography, or Charlie's autobiography which is very honest and revealing (although there are sections of his life that he glosses over and some that he doesn't mention at all!).

Anyway, for a freebie for an introduction to Chaplin this is OK but if you can afford to spend a bit more on the others, do. Or, better still, get one of the British Film Institute DVDs of his films and see how funny he really was.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4