Profile for keen reader > Reviews

keen reader (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Road to El Dorado: Percy Fawcett and the Lost World of Z
The Road to El Dorado: Percy Fawcett and the Lost World of Z

4.0 out of 5 stars but I had enjoyed other books of this type so I gave it ..., 7 Sep 2014
Percy who? Was my first thought, but I had enjoyed other books of this type so I gave it a go and am glad I did.

The actual subject matter is the stuff of the late Victorian Boys Own Genre. Admittedly this briskly written book is minus the lengthy nineteenth century prose style, the characteristic smell of a second hand book shop (and the aesthetic pleasure of an elaborately bound Victorian volume.) And for any fans of the Girls Own Genre and the Chalet School series in particular - read this (It's not too long) and think of the Mary-Lou Trelawney and Verity Anne Carey's fathers. I have to admit to previously thinking that storyline rather over done - and I don't now!

This has done nothing to reduce my fear of Tropical Rainforests.

The American Sniper: A History of America's Shadow Warriors
The American Sniper: A History of America's Shadow Warriors

4.0 out of 5 stars an easy to read writing style and a brief, 17 Aug 2014
Interesting, and the sort of information that made me think, well, if I ever have to put a sniper in a story I must come back and read this again... As usual, an easy to read writing style and a brief, pacy, quick read.

The Secrets of Filming Swallows & Amazons
The Secrets of Filming Swallows & Amazons

3.0 out of 5 stars Swallows and Amazons was my favourite book. Possibly it still is, 17 Aug 2014
Swallows and Amazons was my favourite book. Possibly it still is. (Winnie the Pooh, A traveller in time, Alice in wonderland and Lord of the Rings are pretty high on the list too, in case you wondered.) This was the second film I ever saw and I enjoyed it, and so enjoyed this book.

tinkertonk Silicone Travel Pop Up Camping Mug Folding Collapsible Cup (Blue)
tinkertonk Silicone Travel Pop Up Camping Mug Folding Collapsible Cup (Blue)
Offered by Beyondfashion

3.0 out of 5 stars A different stocking filler for children to play with but ..., 3 Aug 2014
A different stocking filler for children to play with but still feel they're getting a grown up present . Hoping the different colours will head off sibling rivalry/ confusion.

The Hills is Lonely (Lillian Beckwith's Hebridean Tales Book 1)
The Hills is Lonely (Lillian Beckwith's Hebridean Tales Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed revisiting one of the first books I read from ..., 3 Aug 2014
I enjoyed revisiting one of the first books I read from the adult section of the library as a child.

Very British Problems: Making Life Awkward for Ourselves, One Rainy Day at a Time
by Rob Temple

4.0 out of 5 stars Apparently well liked., 3 Aug 2014
Bought as a present. Apparently well liked.

Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics)
Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Aug 2014
Molesworth is still Topp.

Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style (Revised Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 2 Aug 2014
Not wildly original, and I suspect I'm still a frump, but some sensible advice clearly expressed.

How to Get Dressed Without Driving Yourself Crazy
How to Get Dressed Without Driving Yourself Crazy

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice clearly expressed but don't expect it to do ..., 2 Aug 2014
But it's probably time to admit that you can only get so far in improving on something by reading about it and only a certain amount further by following advice. OK if you haven't read very much of this sort of book recently, which I hadn't. Some good advice clearly expressed but don't expect it to do wonders.

The Beltway Sniper Attacks
The Beltway Sniper Attacks

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative, 27 July 2014
I'm old enough to remember some of the reporting on this, which added to my interest, but there are a lot of details here that weren't in the UK press - or weren't very much in the UK press at the time and I gather weren't in the US press either. This book was horrifying (sadly, not mostly not surprising) and informative. Did I get confused at one point, or were the earlier murders committed with a gun that had been borrowed by someone who would not have been able to buy it legally? That borrowing a gun to use on a range, in the presence of the gun's owner could be legal, I could understand. Lending someone a gun for them to take on an extended road trip....at the least seems a major loophole in the law, and slightly odd behaviour to this UK national. I would quite like to have heard more about the reaction to that in the end - although I do realise there might be legal reasons why it couldn't be written about.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8