Profile for Mrs. H. V. Minor > Reviews

Content by Mrs. H. V. Minor

Mrs. H. V. Minor "Halimeda Hilary" (Guildford, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Smart Weigh Precision Digital Vanity / Bathroom Scale, "Smart Step-On" Technology, Tempered Glass Platform and Large Backlight Display
Offered by Five Star

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stylishly Designed and Accurate Body Scale., 15 Sep 2014
This is a stylishly designed, slim-profile, high precision product and a pleasure to use as it is light weight being made of tempered glass. The scale's total capacity is 150kg or 330 lbs. I particularly like the very clear, large, backlit, LCD display, excellent for those who, like me, have poor eyesight and need all the help they can get when reading scales from a distance. The Smart Weigh scale reads your weight in three different measurement modes: Kilos, pounds and also stones + pounds. "So what?" you might say, but when you have had as much problem as I have in translating your usual measurement unit (which for me is kilos) into measurements more easily understood by other people (I've forgotten how to use avoirdupois measurement as I now work mainly in metric measure), you really appreciate being able to make this adjustment on your scales. On the Smart Weigh, this is done by pressing a small button on the back. When you step onto the scale, your weight is immediately displayed in the LCD window and, when you step off the scale, it shuts down in a few seconds to save battery life. It comes with batteries provided so you are up and ready to go at once. The scale dimensions are 12 inches X 12 inches so it isn't huge and therefore doesn't take up a lot of floor space. I can heartily recommend the Smart Weigh Body Scale for looks, accuracy and convenience.

Salad Love: How to Create a Lunchtime Salad, Every Weekday, in 20 Minutes or Less
by David Bez

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure Chest of Salads - 1,000 days of lunches., 14 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Caution! This is not a cookbook! The author makes clear: "I am not a chef; I'm a designer and food lover . . ." This book is a collection of salad combinations that will last for a year - a different one every day, easy enough to make in the office during the lunch hour and much healthier than the all-conquering sandwich or the calorie-laden-but-convenient snack bar. So, whether you are an office worker or a Mum at home needing a quick lunch, this mine of ideas is for you. You don't need to be on a diet to be interested in this book, either. The author says: "I wasn't on a diet. I didn't need to lose weight; I just wanted to eat right and I still wanted plenty of flavours in my meal." A description of how to layer a salad follows, perhaps because it's easier to compose a filling salad quickly if you follow a pattern: The Base, Vegetables and Fruit, Protein, Toppings, Fresh Herbs, Dressings & Spices - this last section is lovely - four pages of easy but tasty dressings that ensure that your lunchtime treat will always have "lift" (my word for it). If you are going to embark on the exercise of making salads at work, a section on a basic collection of tools to equip your desk kitchen drawer with is useful but please don't be put off from buying this book because you are not in a position to do so. This book is just as useful if you are making salads at home to transport to work in a Kilner jar or plastic box. Divided into the seasons of the year, there is a vast variety of salad combinations here, not all of them based on green leaves and the salads have been further categorised into 'vegetarian', 'pescatorian', 'omnivore', 'vegan' and 'raw', with further suggestions for every salad on how to change it to something else, so, turn a vegetarian salad into a vegan one or a pescatorian one into its vegan alternative with ease. Buy this book and two things will be for certain: (1) you will never be bored by your lunch choices and (2) with 1,000 days of office lunches (even if your office is your kitchen) you will never again be lost for a salad idea.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Weapon in my Arsenal against Weight Gain., 14 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am constantly on the "qui vive" for interesting, well written and illustrated cookery books that will help me to maintain the weight loss I have recently succeeded in achieving. Like the writer of this book, I, too, had come to rely too much on bread, white rice and pasta - even more than potatoes - to form the basis of meals but it isn't necessary to rely on high carbohydrate foods to eat satisfyingly and healthily and "Cut the Carbs!" is certainly one of the books I have added to my arsenal of weapons against food boredom and the temptation to fall back into "a deep and dark carb hole". There are sections here to cover all meals. My favourite recipe in the breakfast section has to be the "Chia Bircher Muesli" (p.22) as this can be made the day before and refrigerated so that the chia seeds swell nicely and, if you haven't met chia seeds before, you're in for a treat. The "Black Forest slow Granola Parfaits" (p.30) are good enough to serve as a dessert and any breakfast composed of the recipes in this section would be a feast fit for a king! The section on soups is inspiring. These soups are my kind of soup: "I'm not talking about meek broths. I'm talking about chunky, hearty bowls of sustenance. The sort which, while you eat them with a spoon, keeping a fork nearby won't seem like complete folly." What I like to call "souperoles" - half soup, half casserole!! Filling but not fattening, high nutrient but low calorie. The "Turkish Red Lentil Soup" is so easy to make and the "Ribollita" is a souperole par excellence :-) Skipping on lightly past the too-good-to-miss "Bloody Mary Tomato Soup" and the refreshing "Chilled White Bean, Cucumber, Mint and Yoghurt Soup" we arrive at "Interesting Sides & Salads (Filling Enough to Feed a 6'3" Man)" and I'm instantly in love with "Savoury Baked Apples with Goats' Curd and Parma Ham". Who said baked apples had to be stuffed with raisins, sugar, butter and cinnamon? These innovative savoury stuffed apples are a meal in themselves served with a good green salad. There is so much of innovative thinking and imaginative flavour combining in this book: "Lean Summer Feasts" introduces you to "Thai Green Papaya Salad with Trout" and no, there are no noodles in it! How about "Prawn, Avocado and Edamame Salad" - I can get edamame beans reasonably easily now. I found, when I was in the process of losing three and a half stone of unwanted weight, that the key to staying on track for the twelve months that it took me to succeed was not getting bored with the range of foods I was eating and this is exactly the kind of book that helped me succeed and will continue to help me keep off the dreaded pounds. I heartily recommend this book. It will not just keep you interested in what is on your plate, you will begin to feel a gain in energy and vitality as a result of not consuming white carbohydrates. Needless to say, the book is beautifully presented with tempting illustrations and clear instructions. There are relatively few foods that are not easily available (I have yet to find a source of Ajvar - a Balkan roasted pepper and garlic relish - but I'll get there or make it myself!) and no recipe is so complicated that it is outside the capabilities of home cooks.

Proops 11 Piece Doming Dapping Block and Punch Set Hardwood 17-61mm.
Proops 11 Piece Doming Dapping Block and Punch Set Hardwood 17-61mm.
Offered by proops brothers ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Piece of Equipment., 2 Aug 2014
This is a beautifully made piece of equipment that does the job it was created for. It is a pleasure to use and I am thrilled to have it among my jewellery making tools.

Body Pure 1200 mg Raspberry Ketones
Body Pure 1200 mg Raspberry Ketones

4.0 out of 5 stars Body Pure Raspberry Ketones may well help all of us to achieve a healthy weight and the further good news is that, 2 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are 30 capsules of raspberry ketone in this bottle, taken at a rate of 2 per day, both doses taken with a large glass of water, one before breakfast and one before dinner. There are no indications on this bottle as to what the product does, so you need to have done some research beforehand and the chances are that you might already know that raspberry ketones are supposed to aid in weight loss. They are believed to speed up fat burning and boost the metabolism. They are also said to suppress the appetite, although I haven't found this to be the case and I am always ready for my next meal when it is due. However, I am currently maintaining substantial weight loss and anything that will help me to do this is welcome. Raspberry ketones are a food supplement; they are not an alternative to a healthy diet, so go ahead and try them but keep firmly in mind this simple equation: calorie intake > energy output = weight gain : calorie intake < energy output = weight loss. Body Pure Raspberry Ketones may well help all of us to achieve a healthy weight and the further good news is that, as long as you don't "exceed the recommended dose", there are no reported bad effects and I have certainly never experienced any.

Nature Pure Potent Raspberry Ketone
Nature Pure Potent Raspberry Ketone

4.0 out of 5 stars but I think they do have a mildly laxative effect which is probably why users are recommended not to exceed the recommended dose, 2 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product describes itself as (a) supporting fat burning, (b) boosting the metabolism and (c) appetite suppressing. There are 30 capsules in this bottle, taken at a rate of 2 capsules per day, each of them taken 20 minutes before breakfast and dinner with a large glass of water. My own opinion is that these need to be taken in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet and that it would be a mistake to think that, on their own, these will result in weight loss. I have to say, I have not found them to be appetite suppressing to any degree. As to whether they are fat burning or metabolism boosting, the jury is still out, but I think they do have a mildly laxative effect which is probably why users are recommended not to exceed the recommended dose. I am currently trying to keep off weight that I have lost over the past two years and anything that will help me to do that is welcome. Try this product, by all means, but don't ignore the warning on the bottle that "food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet."

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer Fair 4g
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer Fair 4g
Offered by Bargainland UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product that does exactly what it says on the ..., 2 July 2014
Excellent product that does exactly what it says on the tin without becoming clogged or streaky. I can recommend this.

Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
by Antonio Carluccio

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lucious Great Big Book of Pasta., 2 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a beautiful book! Everything you ever wanted to know about pasta is here. Part One deals with the history pasta, what it is and what it is made of (not all pasta is made from durum wheat flour) and the many different pasta types both dried and fresh. I love the section on making your own pasta - something I haven't done in years but will definitely be doing in the near future, inspired by this chapter. You don't need a lot of equipment to make your own pasta: roll it out like dough, roll the pasta sheet into a sausage roll and cut sections off with a sharp knife, thicker or thinner, to your taste. Or you can use a food processer and a pasta machine. There are recipes for both "pasta fresca all'uovo", for eggless pasta and also for flavoured pastas, although I think I might struggle to find a source of cuttlefish ink to make black pasta) and then use the very useful instructions for shaping the pasta: I love the idea of shaping fusilli round a knitting needle, for example. It has such a homely feel ! Knit your own pasta :-) The chapter on "Pasta and the Italian Kitchen" tells you all about the essential Italian larder and what you will need to stock it with and the "Pasta and Sauces" chapter is very informative about what sort of pasta to serve with what sort of sauce, so if you thought all sauces can be served with spaghetti, think again: "In general, the smoother the pasta, the thinner the sauce; the more convoluted the pasta shape, or the rougher the outside of the pasta, the thicker the sauce." So, on to the recipes of which there are many and all of them are mouth-watering; there are even recipes for sweet pasta dishes. Where the Chef uses regional Italian pastas that might be hard to source in the U.K., he does suggest alternatives but, by and large, the pastas in the recipes are of types that are available in supermarkets or from smaller specialist stores. If you go to www.carluccios.com you will find that you can buy a wide range of pastas including cocoa pasta. The recipe sections are: Pasta in Soups, pasta with sauces, fresh and filled pasta, baked pasta, pasta salads and leftovers and pasta as dessert. At the end of the book there is a list of pastas, so a useful reference if you come across a pasta you've never heard of before. Antonio assures us that different pasta shapes are being invented all the time, so I don't suppose any list will ever be definitive! This is a delicious book and I shall consume it with pleasure :-)

PINK ART ADULT CANVAS ARTIST APRON WITH POCKET & LINING
PINK ART ADULT CANVAS ARTIST APRON WITH POCKET & LINING
Offered by Quickdraw Stationery UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever and useful apron for the artist and craftsperson, 2 July 2014
A clever and useful apron for the artist and craftsperson: You shorten the neck strings by pulling down on the loose ends! Very sturdy.

Infinite Trolley Coin / Master Key - Twin Pack Red
Infinite Trolley Coin / Master Key - Twin Pack Red
Offered by TMB Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent little tool, 2 July 2014
An excellent little tool. No more hunting for elusive one pound coins! Works like a dream in most trolleys and handily attaches to your key chain so that you are never without it. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20