Profile for Big Hair > Reviews

Content by Big Hair

Big Hair "John" (Cumbria, England)

Page: 1 | 2
ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT - 10.1" FUSION5 XTRA POWER4 TABLET PC - QUAD-CORE CPU - POWERFUL GPU - 16GB STORAGE - SLEEK DESIGN - BLUETOOTH - FLAT 50% OFF - LIMITED TIME OFFER
Offered by F5CS LTD
Price: 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial Review - first impressions (and a little advice)..., 5 July 2014
Hi, I bought this tablet 2-weeks ago and have some 1st impressions albeit after only 2 weeks of use. I am a very experienced computer and tablet user and it is from this perspective that this brief review comes.

I have given this tablet 5 stars as I really can't justify dropping any when considering the price of this
tablet, it's apparent build quality and it's ability to perform the function/s that an owner of this machine
is led to expect from the seller's description of it's capabilities.

So, my initial experience of this tablet is as follows:
*****value for money - excellent, this is a very capable machine for a very affordable price.

*****build quality - very good and definitely beyond what might be considered adequate, this
tablet isn't 'flashy', has no notable ergonomic features or fancy materials such as a non-slip
casing but is smart and feels substantial in use. All buttons and sockets work perfectly and are
easy to access.

*****capabilities - excellent, this machine simply worked straight out of the box and off the charger.
Everything has worked first time for me on this beauty. The consequence of this is that the new
or inexperienced user is very unlikely to face any of those problems due to incompatibilities and
instability that can quickly totally wreck any enjoyment, confidence and productivity that
may have been anticipated.

This machine is very slick, very fast, very reliable, very stable and a pleasure to use.

A couple of words of advice if you're new to tablet PCs.......

1) Give it a reasonable amount of charge straight out of the box - this is a little difficult when
you have just run out of the house and greeted the post/delivery man as though he's your
long-lost best friend, snatched it from his grasp and ripped the packaging to shreds in
the excitement of the arrival! (at least this is what usually happens when I get a new gadget...).
Give it at least a couple of hours to start with. When using it for the first 2 or 3 times try to let the battery
run right out then give it a long (about 4-6 hours should do it) charge to 100%. If you do this every couple
of weeks you will get optimum battery life and performance.
2) Make the very first thing you do after turning on the (tablet's) WiFi and connecting to your network, the addition
of your Google account to the tablet. This is in my experience a very helpful thing to ensure the correct
working of applications without frustrating problems. This really will be beneficial - don't start with anything
else, get this done and you'll probably never look back.

Oh yes, the screen is to my eyes very nice indeed and has plenty of resolution and clarity for everyday use.

I know this is a very brief and a touch insubstantial review but I haven't had it long and can only give my
opinion on this basis. I'll try to update this review with another after a month or so.

I hope this has helped a little bit. My parting advice to anyone considering this tablet is simply to
purchase one as soon as you can as you will not regret it - it really is a cracking piece of kit for
an excellent price that does what you expect and want it to! I love it!
JB

10.1" Fusion5 Xtra Foldable Standable Black Leather Look Case with Strap - Ideal for Fusion5 Xtra v1, Xtra v3, Xtra Compact and Xtra 4CORE tablets
Offered by F5CS LTD
Price: 15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but costly postage..., 28 Jun 2014
Hi, just received this little case. It does it's job very well, holding the tablet securely with perfectly aligned holes in the side where the various connections are. This case is obviously very inexpensive and has no stylish qualities whatsoever - a good thing in my opinion, I just want it to unobtrusively house my tablet. It's basically a piece of plastic-covered cardboard by the feel of it, but it serves it's purpose pretty well. My only gripe, and it's a big one, is the ridiculously expensive delivery charge which is only pence short of the case's price! Why not just advertise and sell it at the 'real' price and charge us the 'real' price for postage. The overall price will be the same but buyers won't have to feel as though they've been made a bit of a fool of with smoke and mirrors.
To sum-up, good case, basic whilst fully functional for it's intended purpose, inexpensive and good value for money - if you aren't bothered about having a cheapo case in your hand then buy this one - it's a little cracker....
JB

The Penguin Dictionary of Botany (Penguin reference)
The Penguin Dictionary of Botany (Penguin reference)
by Stephen Blackmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy, Very Handy, 10 Jun 2014
Great little book. I use it as a reference when identifying wildflowers.
Not a lot to say, but it's of a very convenient size & shape and is very
well written. The definitions are rich in content. It's a book you
can flick through and learn a lot without any particular term or word
in mind.
Lovely little book, very useful and convenient. Get one!
p.s. I nearly gave it only 4 stars when considering that it could contain
more pictures, but then realised that that would have changed it into
a far less convenient and quite different book. I gave it the full 5 stars
because from the above perspective it is excellent.

The Vegetative Key to the British Flora
The Vegetative Key to the British Flora
by J. Poland
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly Rewarding, 10 Jun 2014
I've had this book for a couple of months now. I started with the usual (and excellent up to a point) small, picture-based field guide such as Collins. The acquisition of a digital camera and my love of wildflowers in general saw me search out an old Collins guide and the rest is history! It wasn't long before I started searching Amazon and reading reviews of this apparently miraculous book that promised (and was indeed said) to enable it's owner to identify (very) many British wildflowers. I was not in any teeny-tiny way disappointed. This book is simply superb - I still work through an ID with just a few pictures of a plant's leaves and stems and get a huge surprise at just how good this book can be when used well. To get the best from this mighty beast which upon first flick-through can appear startlingly devoid of pictures and full of mysterious terminology the reader must 'learn to use' this book and it's keys....

1) Don't panic - the devil really is in the detail with this book - start at the beginning and carefully read
the preface and introduction several times, it is very worthwhile to do so.
2) Have a good (and usually very cheaply-priced) botanical dictionary to hand - it will make things a lot
easier whilst deepening your understanding and increasing your enjoyment.
3) When reading the description and keys, get into the habit of close and accurate reading. In every one
of the several books I own in this vein the wording is every bit as important as the terminology.

To sum up, a rewarding approach to this book (and others like it) is all about being careful and accurate
about small details. If this sounds boring and tedious to you then you may become frustrated by this book.

This book IS NOT HARD TO USE, it simply rewards the reader's attention exponentially in my experience.

This book is a very effective tool for anyone such as myself that enjoys wildflowers and the mystery of their
correct identification. It's quite amazing just how quickly a few leaves and observations regarding their
arrangement on the plant etc can lead to a successful identification.

Being able to approach an apparently anonymous piece of vegetation with the high degree of confidence
afforded by having this beauty of a book in your armoury is always great fun! You don't even have to wait
for a plant to bloom.

This book is not cheap, but when you consider the quality and power of it's contents, and the enduring
pleasure it's use can bring, I personally say 'don't hesitate, get a copy ASAP'.

Botany for Naturalists: A Colour Guide
Botany for Naturalists: A Colour Guide
by MR John Leslie Presland
Price: 9.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book spoiled by very poor production & printing, 17 May 2014
Hi, just received this book and opened it up with great enthusiasm. Oh dear...... Now bear in mind that I have only read about 30 pages in and have skimmed the rest as I progress. The book is very nicely written with just the right balance, being neither a 'dumbed-down' insult to the reader or an inaccessibly technical puzzle. The information therein is very interesting and helpful to the budding botanist or (like me) wildflower enthusiast. Structural (morphological) features are well described and explained, supported by acceptably relevant photographs. I started learning and increasing my current understanding right from starting at page 1!
Now for the dropped stars -
The physical production of the book has some shortcomings however.
1: many pages have 'squashed creases' through them as if the paper has been pressed before being completely flat! Unsightly and sloppy but not a deal-breaker (for me at least).
2: the photographs are numerous and (necessarily I would think) rather small and unclear - the colours in the photographs however are truly awful to the extent of being a distraction to the reader's enjoyment of the book. The colours in the photographs are far too saturated and look like cheap prints of a very old set of pictures - they are not on the whole even very clear - very disappointing and garish -ugh!
3: the killer for me that will cause me to return the book to Amazon for a replacement is that page 61 is completely unreadable and spoiled. It has several photographs and a little text as have many pages, but also printed over or beneath this are the complete contents of page 63! What a mess and frankly a disgrace - there is no way on earth that this book should have been sold - it is clearly not of saleable quality. This final point cannot have been overlooked in production....

So, the volume I received from Amazon is dated 2014, looks like a straight rehash of a 70s edition (meaning the photographs and their colour reproduction) and has many spoiled pages and one completely unusable page - the book looks like either a second or a less-than-completely-genuine copy.

To sum-up this rather long-winded 'review' - this book is superb in terms of content and shoddy in terms of manufacture. I will be returning my tragic copy but will certainly ask for a replacement - I still want and like this book, just not in the shoddy form I have just been sent by Amazon. The book is very good value for money and contains an awful lot of information in an easy-to-understand presentation. It needs 1-Better photographs, 2-un-creased pages and 3-page 61 printed correctly.

When I receive (hopefully) another copy from Amazon I will continue this review with more information about the book's actual contents. I've written a lot about it's shortcomings to allow folk to approach this potentially superb book 'with their eyes open'...

JB

The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery)
The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery)
by Bernard Knight
Price: 5.32

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly dull..., 26 Feb 2014
Having read and increasingly enjoyed the first 3 books in the series, this one surprised me and not in a good way. The 'awful secret' turns out to be awful because it's so dreadfully DULL. It boils down to so-and-so said this and if it's true the whole of the Christian world will crumble. But, whose to say if it is true - it came across to me as a bit of hearsay or even tittle-tattle.... The endless 'if anyone finds out we're all doomed' and 'I want to tell you but I can't' and 'I must tell the world the truth regardless' just goes on and on and really starts to grate. When this so-called awful 'secret' is revealed I simply thought -'is that it!' and had to stop myself from eating the book. Hey-ho I'm continuing with the next book, but this particular one was to me personally completely underwhelming and a waste of time to read.

The Field of Blood: A Brother Athelstan Medieval Mystery 9
The Field of Blood: A Brother Athelstan Medieval Mystery 9
Price: 2.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by typos and sloppy proof-reading..., 23 Dec 2013
Hi, I'm loving this series which I moved on to after reading a series of 18 Matthew Bartholomew (and Brother Michael) stories. I've been constantly annoyed and distracted by typos, completely wrong words in translarion, spelling mistakes and bizarre font size changes, throughout the series and am starting to get seriously fed-up with it! I'm going to finish the 12 books on the Kindle then give some serious thought to starting my next book back in paper format. A few mistakes will always happen but it's getting silly now and I'm starting to resent paying for a shoddily produced Kindle version of my books. Sorry to be so negative but I wonder if others are feeling the same? The story and writing was as usual very good and great to read, although I felt it was getting a little too conventional.

Sacrifice
Sacrifice
by Sharon Bolton
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Laughable Hocum, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sacrifice (Paperback)
Well, having to spend 3 days without even enough money to buy my next book on my trusty Kindle PW I had a troll through my bookshelves and found this.... hmm, the cover looked very mysterious and the blurb looked promising so I started to read what I thought was going to be a good book. Up to about the first third of the book my interested was captured by the 'body in the peat' discovery. That's when I should really have hurled the book into the cracks of doom and returned to my bookshelves. I pressed on with what became a very labourious story. The main story was pretty dull whilst the parallel story was quite simply ridiculous. The main character is at one point hurtling through stormy seas at night on a little boat and seems to have morphed into Lara Croft - laughable. Endless toing and froing, conspiracy everywhere. This story is not a stimulating and intricate web through which the reader must weave, it's simply very bloated. I lost the will to live after about 400 pages but carried on to the end of this silly book. I really wouldn't bother buying this one....

A1CS FUSION5 PREMIUM TABLET PC - 9.7" IPS SCREEN - ANDROID 4.0 - NOW SUPPORTS IPLAYER- DUAL-CAMERA - ULTRA SLIM

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Tablet after 5 weeks, 23 Jun 2012
Hi, well I've had the premium tablet for almost 5 weeks now and have a few comments to share. I received the tablet with the android version (4.0) that didn't have a working iPlayer and after e-mailing A1CS about this was assured that a fix (a firmware update of android v4.0) was to be released ASAP. Well A1CS were good to their word and about a week ago I received an e-mail with the instructions to perform an update of android. This went without a problem and I now have the andoid version 4.0.4 installed. This has completely fixed iPlayer which now runs without fault and at a very good speed on this tablet. Some have had a problem (also fixed by the andoid v4.0.4 update) with WiFi; I however have never had any problems with WiFi on this tablet before or after the update.

SCREEN:
This tablet is a real beauty - it is very slim (9mm) and very solidly built, with a glass screen and a very strong aluminium back. This means that at no time does this tablet 'buckle' or feel fragile when in use and being held. The IPS screen (as used on other high-end tablets) is simply a joy to look at and to use. It really can be viewed at any angle and has very bright, vivid and sharp colours. It is a pleasure to use. The touch-control of this screen is feather-light and also maintains it's (high) accuracy when zoomed-in (using the two fingers moving apart technique). This means that buttons still behave perfectly when zoomed right in, unlike some inferior screens I have used with previous tablets.

STARTUP:
This tablet boots (starts) up very quickly - taking about 10-20 seconds for me. The first thing I would advise doing when you first get your tablet is to set up the basics such as the language used for the android keyboard and the time settings. You must remember to set the time zone (for anyone in the UK that is) and keyboard to UK and to set the time updates to come from the network (i.e. internet). These basic settings will lead you to the next very important step which is to register your Google account with this tablet. This is done via 'settings-->add account'. Once this is done you will find the calendar app and any others from Google will work in much the same way as on your laptop.

PERFORMANCE:
In use this tablet runs like a dream. It runs apps quickly and without the annoying and almost random lock-ups and crashed of earlier tablets that I have owned with earlier versions of android installed. This android version (v4.0.4) really does feel and operate like a 'proper' operating system and leaves you to use and enjoy your tablet as you should be able to. The Google Play app worked first time and whent straight into an update. Within minutes I had downloaded a few apps and installed them without problems.

PICTURES:
The tablet comes with a picture viewing app (called Gallery) that has been working perfectly with pictures imported from my camera via a USB-SD adapter plugged into the 'host' USB slot of the tablet. The screen zooms in and out beautifully when viewing pictures.

Note:- before unplugging your USB storage device (e.g. stick or SD card) you MUST remember to go to settings-->storage and scroll down to the 'extUSB' section, then select 'unmount'. This ensures that your storage device is not active when you unplug it and will therefore work properly the next time you plug it in!

CALENDAR:
The calendar app is very useful for me and syncs perfectly with my Google calendars so that I can check my schedules easily from the tablet.

READING BOOKS:
I have downloaded Kindle (and registered the tablet with my Amazon account accordingly) which is also working perfectly. This tablet with it's 4:3 screen ratio is very nice to read books on.

INTERNET BROWSER:
I use Opera Mobile as my browser and have found it to work very well indeed, although the supplied browser also works very well without any problems.

BBC IPLAYER:
This version has completely fixed the iPlayer problems of the earlier version and the iPlayer works very well indeed both reduced and at full screen. I get no stuttering only smooth play.

I could go on and on about this very very nice tablet but suffice to say that it is a real pleasure to own and use. It does everything I want it to and does it well. Personally I would say, if you're thinking of and android tablet buy this one. I can't see how you could find a better tablet at a better price from a better company than A1CS...

Good luck (with this tablet you won't need it!)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2012 11:04 AM BST

Nikon COOLPIX P510 Compact Digital Camera - Red (16.1MP, 42x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous with reservation, 14 April 2012
Hi, I've had this camera a couple of days now and am really starting to love it. In brief, this little beauty takes very good pictures at all zoom positions. The autofocus is not as snappy as say the Canon 1000D et al but it's honestly very good - certainly not what I'd rate as a weakness by any measure. The image stabilization is in my opinion outstanding - yes you really can take crisp pictures at 1000mm (and up to 2000mm with digital-zoom) with this camera. This camera has a multitude of features, some of which effect your pictures at the instant of taking the picture, some are post-processing functions ala PSE. I've tried a few of them and they seem to work well, as advertised it must be said.

Now for the dropped star in my rating.....

If you are considering this camera with the intention of using the video capabilities for anything other than shooting either stationary or very slowly-moving subjects not further than about half the zoom-range away - think again. When using in video mode the autofocus seems to suffer a nervous breakdown; to reiterate what others have already said, the video AF simply dozes in and out of focus and can take an age to achieve focus at all - it is in all honesty quite useless. I tried it with the camera mounted on a monopod and got diabolical results, goodness knows what it's like hand-held! Finally, when zooming (and indeed focusing) during video you are able to hear every whir, buzz and what sounds like tiny men inside the camera working pulleys - rendering any sound recorded unusable.

This AF problem is ONLY WITH VIDEO, in my somewhat limited experience; when using (as I intended when purchasing this camera)for still photography this camera is fantastic and you will very quickly grow to love it!

In summary - for stills - easily 5 stars - excellent performance, for video - definately 2 stars at most - it will make you weep if you want this camera to shoot video......
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2013 12:37 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2