Profile for Mr BD > Reviews

Content by Mr BD

Mr BD

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher)
All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher)
by Alafair Burke

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Effort, 22 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife read this book and thought it to be well written and more complex than first impressions might give. The complex US legal nuances meant an initial struggle with the understanding of some of it at first and also meant having to check back through the novel on several occasions.
However, the book was enjoyable and we will be looking for others by this author.

The Poppy Factory
The Poppy Factory
by Liz Trenow

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Read, 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Poppy Factory (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife found this book not only very topical it is also very well written and interesting. While covering two generations and two separate but linked stories it flows very well.
The first book my wife has read by this author but will definitely be reading others by her.

Oral-B Pro 6000 Smart Series With Bluetooth Technology Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Offered by STOCKEXPRESS

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Over the Top, 1 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Recently I bought the excellent Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 One-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush and I am very pleased with it. The opportunity arose to try this model so I took it. I've seen it on sale in the shops and was fascinated by the idea of the digital display but horrified by the price.
Firstly, comparing it to the 1000 model it does clean as well but it is heavier and bulkier. It has several cleaning setting and a specific toothbrush head (supplied) for each. The blue led lights on it are quite bright and unnecessary. It uses Bluetooth to communicate up to two toothbrushes to the display unit, which shows which setting the toothbrush is cleaning on and shows which part of your mouth you should be cleaning as the process counts down. At the end you get a smiley face and a star-rating from 1 to 4 (which appears to be solely based upon the time spent).
The packaging includes everything required to fix the display, toothbrush holder and brush-heads to the wall for easy storage. Charging completely takes 24 hours and a 3-bar display shows how much it has charged, switching off when complete.
Apparently it is also possible to connect the toothbrush via Bluetooth to your 'phone (assuming that has Bluetooth too) but that just didn't interest me enough to try it.
I think the idea of showing you how long to brush for and in which quadrant would be interesting for children to learn with but there is the issue of the bulk and weight of it to consider.
It does clean well but I prefer the more basic and just as effective 1000 model. This does seem to be an attempt too far to make a toothbrush stand out from the crowd.

Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
by Antonio Carluccio

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent simple guide for glorious dishes, 1 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an avid fan of pasta-related dishes I have quite a collection of books and gadgets. I didn't really need another pasta book (so my wife tells me) but couldn't resist trying this book.
And I'm very glad I did too. The recipes are very easy to follow but wonderful nonetheless (or perhaps, because of). There is a detailed section on making many of the wide variety of pastas (by hand/machine, colouring, eggless, shaping), complete with photographs of most of the processes. A small but informative section on how to cook pasta then follows.
Then the recipes are divided into sections:
Pasta in Soups,
Pasta with Sauces,
Fresh Filled Pasta,
Baked Pasta,
Pasta Salads and Leftovers,
Pasta as dessert

Most of recipes require only a small amount of work, although several need to simmer for over an hour. However, the results are worth it.

Having bought this I don't believe I will ever need to buy another book on Pasta - much to my wife's relief.

Colgate Actibrush whitening toothbrush - Green
Colgate Actibrush whitening toothbrush - Green
Offered by Adore Trading

2.0 out of 5 stars Drop in reliablity over the years, 29 Jun 2014
I've used Colgate toothbrushes since they first came out and have been very pleased with them until recently.
The first I ever had lasted for years but each replacement has lasted less and less time. The latest only survived a few months.
Water appears to be able to work its way into the battery compartment and ruin it. In addition the heads have increased in size and I'm just not comfortable with them now - the smaller heads were much better to use.
I've now purchased my last Colgate toothbrush and have decided instead to move to an Oral-B model.;

Vax Dual Power Reach Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 L, Graphite and Purple
Vax Dual Power Reach Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 L, Graphite and Purple

2.0 out of 5 stars If they fix the design it could be wonderful, 29 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned a couple of Vax products over the years and have always been impressed with them. However, they've tried to make this one a little cheaper than perhaps they should have.
For the first few minutes of use this was an amazing device. Easy to use and cleaning thoroughly.
At the point where it screeched to a halt and smoke poured out of the cleaning head I lost interest in using it.
If they address the issues with it that have been reported by several Vine reviewers then it could become an incredibly popular device, but you need to ensure the design had been modified. Water, electricity and burning aren't a good combination and I really can't understand how so many faulty devices appear to have got past quality control.

Colgate 360 Battery Toothbrush
Colgate 360 Battery Toothbrush

2.0 out of 5 stars Drop in reliabilty over the years, 29 Jun 2014

Mosquito Patches Insect Repellent Deet free perfect for the family.
Mosquito Patches Insect Repellent Deet free perfect for the family.
Offered by Global 1st Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not totally effective, 29 Jun 2014
Over the past few years I have apparently become irresistible to those insects that apparently require human sacrifice to get through their day. Many trips to Canada have me returning looking like Louis Braille's favourite reading material and very little apart from the most powerful insect repellents appear to have any impact.
Deet is one of the better chemicals but isn't the most pleasant to use and if you have your hand coated in it, it can damage the rubber coatings on camera equipment and suchlike.
So, I read the reviews of this product and decided to give it a go. The package consists of several small square pads and a small sachet of cream. The backs peel off the pads to reveal an adhesive that sticks very well to pretty much anything. Squash the square and small capsules within the pad rupture to release a chemical that doesn't smell too strong.
I used three of these each day, one on each collar and another and another on my camera strap. They did appear to reduce the number of times I was bitten but certainly didn't stop them completely.
I would use them again but hope to find something more effective.

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 One-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies) (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by easi2shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful replacement for my Colgate toothbrush, 29 Jun 2014
For more years than I care to recall I have used Colgate battery-powered toothbrushes. The first lasted several years but then they simply became less reliable, as well as some design changes that I didn't like.
I decided to finally change to another brand, and as most dentists speak well of Oral-B toothbrushes I looked at the range. I decided to go for the cheaper end of the range as I wasn't convinced I needed additional displays with smiley faces or '3-D action' - whatever that may be.
On first use I couldn't believe how much faster the head rotates than my old Colgate brush but quickly got used to it. It has a red light than shows if you press too hard and that is pretty much it for additional gimmicks.
It sits on a 'docking station' type charger, with no actual connections, so I see nowhere for water to work its way into the mechanism (the cause of many of my Colgate toothbrushes demise).
A fully charged toothbrush can apparently last for up to 10 days, but I went for 13 days abroad with it and it never required charging. It doesn't have a way to indicate when it is fully charged (a green light pulses as long as it sits on the charger) and the manual implies it takes 12 hours to charge fully.
A wonderful toothbrush and I wish I had started using it many years earlier.

MegaRed Krill Oil Omega 3 Capsules - Pack Of 30
MegaRed Krill Oil Omega 3 Capsules - Pack Of 30

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another supplement, 30 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Small capsules that are easy to swallow and tasteless. No adverse effects from them and altogether uneventful - just how I like my supplements.
There's a small leaflet within, with a few Q&A type articles. The claim that the krill used are untainted due to the pure Artic waters is a bit silly. I'm sure they're collected by some large-scale industrial process but so are most things. Its the attempt to paint a picture of rainbows and ponies that I find irritating.
Not the cheapest, so I don't know if I'd continue to take them but certainly harmless.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20