Profile for Mr. Smith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Eighteen Hours of Static [VINYL]
Eighteen Hours of Static [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars A Treat, 28 July 2014
A treat to listen to. Noisy, loud but also very intelligent. Highly recommend the vinyl too however my copy has a locked groove on b side which doesn't seem to be documented anywhere else so I'm assuming its just mine - basically a small portion of a riff keeps looping therefore the record doesn't end. (I'm assuming this is unintentional) nevertheless go and buy this record!

Train Of Thought [2LP Vinyl]
Train Of Thought [2LP Vinyl]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, excellent vinyl!, 28 July 2014
As no one is reviewing the vinyl, I figured I'd share some comments. The pressing is on gorgeous heavyweight 180 gram, two LP set however not a gatefold unfortunately. Sound quality is excellent and given the format heavily compliments Myung's bass tones. Arguably one of DT's best albums and it is definitely one I listened to heavily when I was a little younger and given it's currently the cheapest album on vinyl I though I'd pick it up - as should you!

L'ami Du Peuple [VINYL]
L'ami Du Peuple [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Album is great however I received a CD NOT Vinyl, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: L'ami Du Peuple [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Brilliant album, however, I received a CD not Vinyl. I'm unsure what the issue was and this was not cleared up however, Amazon customer service refunded me the difference between the CD and Vinyl so good on them. Owen just continue to make beautiful music and this album is no exception - go get it but be warned you may not receive the desired format.

Once More Round The Sun
Once More Round The Sun

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album Boys, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
Although I haven't bought my own copy yet, I listened to the itunes stream several times. I'm one of many who really responded to Mastodon when Crack the Skye was released and I genuinely prefer the more melodic side to the band and even after listening to the back catalogue of albums and of course The Hunter which followed, I still feel that 'Skye' is their most well rounded album and remains my favorite. That being said, Once More 'Round the Sun gives it a run for it's money. Although not every track on the album is great i.e 'Chimes' and 'High Road', the album as a whole is fantastic with 'Halloween' being the personal highlight for me, potentially being one of Mastodon's best songs yet. Don't disregard the negative reviews nor the overly positive ones but do yourself a favor, give it a listen and decide for yourself!

Audio-Technica AT-LP60 USB Turntable
Audio-Technica AT-LP60 USB Turntable
Offered by Superfi

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For Beginners or Casual Listeners, 3 Jun. 2014
Although I have a half decent hi-fi set up in my living room, I wanted a decent turntable for my bedroom. Previously I owned a very cheap Steepletone player with built in speakers which was fine for what I was using it for but there was no weight whatsoever on the stylus and/or tone arm meaning that particularly stubborn records were unplayable on it. I am happy to report I have had no such trouble with the LP60, granted you still cannot adjust the weight of the tone arm but it is a slightly heavier cartridge that the one in my previous player. I have my LP60 hooked up to some 2.1 computer speakers from ASDA and it sounds pretty good. The materials used are cheap feeling, yes, but if you take care with the table, I'm certain it will last a while. Very happy.

All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone [VINYL]
All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gorgeous Album with a Problem, 1 Jun. 2014
A genuinely beautiful album from start to finish, however, there is one seemingly common problem. There is a constant but varying amount of static on this mix, it doesn't really affect the louder more rock oriented sections but it is more noticeable in the quieter sections. As a previous reviewer has said though, its worth buying for the artwork and it you can stick it out, even with the sometimes disruptive static, like I can, the album is incredibly rewarding.

The Afterman: Ascension [VINYL]
The Afterman: Ascension [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Album, 26 Feb. 2014
Incredible (Part 1) Album by an incredibly consistent band. The vinyl sounds wonderful and includes the album on CD. Go and buy Descension as well!!

Surface To Air [VINYL]
Surface To Air [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love every minute!!!, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Surface To Air [VINYL] (Vinyl)
If you like Rush, Pink Floyd, Genesis or all of the above, then you'll love this. Entirely instrumental album made possible by two very talented gents who play so precisely and tightly it makes me want to punch a wall. The vinyl adds far more depth to the music than the digital copies have to offer accentuating the bass and making the drums as crisp as Walkers. 5 out of 5!

Dandelion Gum (Expanded Edition) [VINYL]
Dandelion Gum (Expanded Edition) [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album shame about the packaging, 20 Feb. 2014
Great album from start to finish and sounds wonderful, however with this particular edition you receive the picture disc in a very tight fitting plastic jacket, mine happened to have a split all the way down the side. Be warned.

Cable-Tex TosLink Optical Adapter to 3.5mm Mini Jack Plug Adaptor
Cable-Tex TosLink Optical Adapter to 3.5mm Mini Jack Plug Adaptor
Offered by Direct Discount

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work at all, 5 Aug. 2013
What a waste of money, annoyingly it would cost too much to send it back. Avoid this at all costs.

Page: 1 | 2