Profile for Wendy Jones > Reviews

Content by Wendy Jones
Top Reviewer Ranking: 548

Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Remember, Remember
Remember, Remember
by Lisa Cutts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Police Procedural, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Remember, Remember (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book by Lisa Cutts which I have read and it certainly won't be the last. From the first page this book had me engrossed and I found myself reading all day. This is a solid police procedural, with an absorbing storyline and characters who almost feel real.

The main character DC Nina Foster is superbly portrayed. She has just returned to work aching been off sick for a number of months, this was following an attack by one of the criminals she was trying to arrest. She has a number of inner demons and these make her character both interesting and complex. Her personal life is as messed up as her professional life. Still she is a lovable character and I found myself liking her more and more as the book progressed. On her return to work she is assigned to a cold case form 40 years ago. This is meant to keep her desk bound and ease her return to work. As you can imagine, this does not work out as planned.

The remainder of the characters in this book are also well drawn. I could imagine everyone do them including hits in the seedy underworld of the criminal fraternity. Not the easiest place to be but truly the sign of a great writer. I found myself liking, hating then liking the characters again.

The only minor point which irritated me was the way in which the main police characters used pet names for each other such as treacle. I am willing to admit that this May be a foible in me and it may not be a problem for others. However, it happened so often it pulled me out of the story a bit which was a shame. Despite this I really enjoyed this book and am sure all lovers of crime books will fid this right up their alley. I would highly recommend.

H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer
H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly professional and obviously quality, 11 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Right out of the amazon delivery box you can tell this is a high quality and professional item. It comes in a beautiful presentation box with a sleeve covering this. Inside the box the quality look continues. The hair dryer is sleek and looks beautiful and streamlined. As a hairdryer it works extremely well and, as it says, dry's the hair very quickly. It does get hot so it is important to remember this. Not that you will forget if your head starts burning. You might not realise with long hair so best to keep it moving. It comes with a accessories such as a diffuser. Initially I thought these had been left out as the spaces where I thought they should be were empty. However, if you pull out the insert holding the hairdryer, they are on the underside of the insert. This is definitely a professional level hairdryer which gives professional results. Although expensive it is worth every penny you. This would make a fabulous gift for any teenage girl. Well worth buying for yourself or as a Christmas present.

Make Your Own Lip Balm
Make Your Own Lip Balm

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but Simple, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Make Your Own Lip Balm (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a pretty box and looks like it would be fun to make. It certainly kept a 9 year old entertained for a couple of hours. The one think I would say is that is not a complex kit. The child basically has to add colouring to ready prepared lip balm. However, girl enjoy making it. Knowing they have made their own lip balm gives it that extra special touch. This was used by a 10 year old who found it fairly easy. However, I would advise that any table they use is covered as things can get a little bit messy. This would make an excellent stocking filler or budget present.

Fisher-Price Little People City Skyway Toy
Fisher-Price Little People City Skyway Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Right out of the box this looks great. It is well packaged and looks like a ..., 10 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow. What a fabulous toy. Right out of the box this looks great. It is well packaged and looks like a well made and fun toy. The toy is, in fact, well made, sturdy, and fits together well. There are endless permutations of what the cars can do and where they can go. This was for a one year old so the entry age for the toy. At this age they will need help but watching the cars can keep them entertained for hours. However, this means an adult needs to be with them. The cars are sturdy enough that they can play with them on their own without using the ramps. The beauty of this, is that it will last for a number of years and will not be a toy which will be forgotten. There cannot be many toys out there which could be used from a 1 year old to a 6 year old and still be fun and enjoyable. Given the time of year I am writing this review, this would make a fabulous Christmas present. I would highly recommend this toy. Just remember if you are using it with younger children there are small pats, so maybe better to keep these aside until they are much older.

Blood on the Altar: The Coming War Between Christian vs. Christian
Blood on the Altar: The Coming War Between Christian vs. Christian

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you Think, 8 Sep 2014
This book makes very interesting reading. Leading scholars in Biblical Studies look at the future of the church and whether we are, in fact, entering the end times. Each writes a chapter which adds a different level or viewpoint to the discussion. The articles (chapters) are well researched and talk about current issues in light of current issues. As I say this made for interesting, and informative, reading.

I particularly liked the discussion surrounding technology and the way we rely on technology in the world today. No one can disagree that we are living in a time that every move we make is noted and catalogued. Now, before anyone says that I am a technophobe, I am one of the biggest proponents of technology and the internet. However, this book has made me think more deeply about the way in which I use it.

I also liked the chapter about the rise of Hitler and what systems were in place to allow such a rise to power to happen again today. It certainly made me think.

So why four stars if I enjoyed it so much. Firstly there were a couple of chapters which I found a bit difficult to understand. I would consider myself well educated, but these were just a bit too off my remit to inform. I also felt it was rather USA centric. I appreciate that the contributors to the book were American. There is a big world out there and I would have liked, at least, Europe to be included in the discussion.

Despite these two issues I consider this to be an excellent book and one I would heartily recommend.

The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2)
The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2)
by Luke Delaney

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a really good book which rattles along at a cracking pace, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good book which rattles along at a cracking pace. It has a good storyline and keeps you gripped from the first page to the last. The characters are expertly drawn and the perpetrator sends shivers down your spine and puts you off your sleep. DI Sean Corrigan is a likeable character and I found myself rooting for him and willing him to succeed. The basic premise of the sort is that someone is grabbing women and keeping them to torture. Great premise and well executed. However, I did feel that the descriptions of the torture and the way the women were kept was far too graphic for my tastes. This is from someone who loves books about serial killers and has read some seriously graphic depictions in her time. If you are of a sensitive nature or cannot stomach graphics descriptions of torture this is not the book for you. However, it is an excellent book and I would highly recommend it. The only reason I am saying about the description is to give prior warning.

Philips myGarden Raven Solar Powered Wall Light - Anthracite (1 x 3.5W Integrated LED)

4.0 out of 5 stars This arrived well packaged and looked like the quality product it is, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This arrived well packaged and looked like the quality product it is. Everything you need is in the box. Straight out of the box the light looks luxurious. I love the anthracite colour of the surround, which blends in well with Scottish stone. It is easy to put together and when up provides a bright light. This is a warm light so may not seem as bright as it actually is. The solar panel does a superb job of storing sunlight and using it to power the light. I am taking into account this is summer so I would need to see how this works in the cloudier winter days of Scotland. The reason I have given it four rather than five stars is that the bracket is a little fragile. You need to be careful with it. We did manage to sort this out, but just so that you know.

So to summarise, a great light, which works well and looks, and feels, high quality. I could certainly highly recommend.

Kent's Kitchen Thai Green Curry Meal Kit 65 g (Pack of 1, Total 4 Kits)
Kent's Kitchen Thai Green Curry Meal Kit 65 g (Pack of 1, Total 4 Kits)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Taste, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You get four kits for the price in the box. Each one self contained with everything you need as a basic kit for the Thai green curry. You do need to add the fresh ingredients, mainly chicken, tomatoes and green beans. You also need to add coconut milk. The box contains small pots of garlic oil, aromatic herbs and spices, and green Thai curry paste. The curry is quick to prepare and cook. Just 20 minutes as the blurb says. This is great if you need to cook something in a hurry.

Whilst cooking the curry smelt lovely and I have to say it tasted even better. The flavours worked well together providing a smooth , creamy curry, with a slight kick of heat. The se boxes are fairly expensive but I have to say they are worth every penny. I will certainly be buying them in the future. I liked the curry so much, I put my plate away and came to write this review. There is some left over for tomorrow night and I am looking forward to eating it. The box says it is for 2 people but use a bit more chicken and veg and it will easily serve four. I am going to sue it the next time I have people round for a meal. I have no qualms in recommending this. It is delicious.

Brilliant Hair Bands
Brilliant Hair Bands

5.0 out of 5 stars it comes in a sturdy box which looks like the activity would be fun, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Brilliant Hair Bands (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Right out of the box this craft set looks quality, it comes in a sturdy box which looks like the activity would be fun. This means it would make a quality present. Everything you need to make the hair bands is inside the box. The bands are easy to make and keep kids occupied for a couple of hours. Wearing the bands is as much fun as making them. My niece, who is 10, enjoyed the activity, but I would say this is the top of the age range for this activity. All in all an excellent product. This would make an excellent birthday present or stocking filler. Highly recommend.

Revell Mini Quadcopter Nano Quad Pro with Looping Function
Revell Mini Quadcopter Nano Quad Pro with Looping Function

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Toy, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first need to mention that this helicopter is small. I was surprised at this as I expected it to be larger. However that does not detract from the overall appeal if this item. It arrives beautifully presented in a box so would make a fabulous present. The box contains everything you need to get it up and running. Initially it is a little tricky to control but part of the fun is learning to do this. It would be better to start practicing in a large room and not trying to take it through doorways, once you have mastered this you can progress. This is fun for people of any age but I would say the lower age limit would be about 8 years old. It does come with spare propellers and this is a good thing once you let the kids loose with it. The blurb says this can be used outdoors on non windy days. As I live in Scotland where it is always Windy, I wouldn't like to try this. All in all a great product which can certainly take up a lot of your time. I'm off to practice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20