ARRAY(0xaef50d68)

Profile for Wendy Jones > Reviews

Content by Wendy Jones
Top Reviewer Ranking: 622

Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of 1, Total 45 Tablets )
Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of 1, Total 45 Tablets )
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Product, 7 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are looking for a dishwasher tablet which leaves your dishes sparkling clean and with a decent shine, then you need look no further. These tablets, which come I their own dissolvable plastic are easy to pop I. The machine. No need to unwrap. The tablets do what they say on the tin and also leave the dishwasher smelling fresh and clean. I cannot fault this product and would highly recommend

Finish Power and Pure All-in-One (Pack of 1, Total 50 Tablets)
Finish Power and Pure All-in-One (Pack of 1, Total 50 Tablets)
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding clean, 7 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Right out if the pack these dishwasher tablets look and feel different. For a start you so not need to unwrap them as they are individually wrapped in dissolvable plastic. The red balls contain granules which can be seen and makes you think this is something new. They smell much more fresh than other tablets. So on to the important bit, the wash. When the crockery and cutlery come out of the dishwasher they are sparkling clean and completely free from any food residue. They dray well, but plastics are still somewhat wet. This is the case with most dishwasher tablets so it didn't bother me too much. The dishwasher itself was clean and smelt nice. So an all round excellent product which I could highly recommend.

Lonely Graves (Posthumus Trilogy)
Lonely Graves (Posthumus Trilogy)
by Britta Bolt
Price: 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first book in a trilogy, 7 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lonely Graves is the first book in a new and exciting trilogy. Pieter Posthumus is in charge of the lonely funerals team. This department looks into the deaths and life of the recently deceased. He then ensures that they do not get buried unmourned. Taking his job seriously he looks into the death of a Moroccan immigrant and finds himself caught up in a suspected terror plot.

The author, Britta Bolt, has a great writing style. The characters are brought to life, quirks and all, making them jump from the page. The seedy underbelly of Amsterdam is exposed. One thing I did particularly enjoy was the way in which both sides of Islam are examined. It shows decent families who live good lives and get on well with their neighbours. Often this is missing in thrillers where only the terrorist aspect is portrayed.

This book is not a page turner, but it is a great book with some instances of real tension. The book finishes well, with an excellent set up for the next book in the trilogy. My only disappointment is that the second book is not yet out. I look forward to its publication.

Small Business Marketing For Dummies
Small Business Marketing For Dummies
by Paul Lancaster
Price: 11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Choc Full of Genuinely Great Advice, 4 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read a lot of marketing books, many of which are truly brilliant. This one is up there with the best. It is so choc full of advice I do not know where to start. This is a comprehensive book, the 24 chapters of which cover every aspect of marketing for small business.
These are broken into six key areas:

1. Getting started with small business marketing
2. Laying the foundation for marketing success
3. marketing in a screen connected world
4. Getting the word out with ads, mailers, promotion and publicity
5. Winning and keep in customers
6. The rule of tens

Within these areas lies a wealth of advice and hints and tips. As with all Dummies books they use icons to reinforce key things which are particularly important. In this case the icon for Remember, highlights key rules for small business marketers. There is also an icon for example, demonstrating the ideas in practice in real life situations. The warning icon highlights areas which should be evaluated cautiously. One warning is setting your prices too low. Unless you are aiming at the bargain basement end of the market then you should aim for quality and set your prices accordingly.

This is not a book to read from cover to cover in one sitting. It is one to read over a period whilst putting the advice into practice. Using the book properly should put any small business in a good position in the market. I would highly recommend this.

The Case of the Black Pearl (A Patrick De Courvoisier Mystery)
The Case of the Black Pearl (A Patrick De Courvoisier Mystery)
by Lin Anderson
Price: 18.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Entertaining, 1 April 2014
I am new to Lin Anderson's books but having read this one I can assure you I will be reading more. This, the first in a new series, introduces Patrick De Courvoisier, an enigmatic Englishman living in Cannes. Patrick is a character who is somewhat aloof but this fit his role in the book perfectly. You get glimpses of the softer side of his character in the way he interacts with one of the female characters, and also his very loveable dog. The remaining characters in the book are an eclectic bunch who are well drawn. I could picture them perfectly.

Anderson, an obviously accomplished writer, has set the scene perfectly in this book. The setting is vividly described. Having, myself, been to Cannes on numerous occasions, I can say she has captured the essence of the City and the way in which the people live and work. As I say, this is the first in a series, so much of the book is taken up with setting the characters, and the setting in place. This means that the suspense is somewhat less in the book. However, I found this to be necessary and the suspense was also gripping and of a high quality.

I would highly recommend Lin Anderson as a writer, and this new series. I will certainly be looking out for the next book.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for review purposes. I was at no point asked to provide a positive review, and my review is based on my reading, and enjoyment, of the book.

Hozelock Pico Reel
Hozelock Pico Reel
Offered by The Wild Bird Food Company
Price: 22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Straight off I can say I love this product. Immediately it arrived I was captured by its lightness and portability. It is on a reel and can easily be unwound and wound again using a handle. I already have a large hose but this was too heavy and difficult to use and stow away for just an occasional watering. This one does the trick. It fits to the tap easily and securely. The head has 5 settings and each of these is easy to use. I find the most powerful setting to be adequate for my needs and the 5 settings meet all my needs in my simple garden. A top notch product which I would highly recommend.

Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair
Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair
Price: 48.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Product, 30 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product came well packaged and looked of a high standard before even opening the box. Once inside it continued to live up to the initial feeling of quality. It is sturdy and yet lightweight, and yet holds an almost one year old securely. The beauty of the product however is that it is extremely space saving and portable. It is superb for use in small houses and flats and can be taken anywhere in the car and used immediately. A great chair which I would highly recommend.

Natchez Burning
Natchez Burning
by Greg Iles
Price: 12.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reading, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Natchez Burning (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love Greg Iles books and this one is up to his usual high standard. It is a mixture of historical and contemporary with both being equally balanced. Iles is a great writer and draws both stories together beautifully. As it says in the blurb Penn Cage finds himself in the unenviable position of having to defend his father against a crime of murder. His father is saying nothing to defend himself and refuses to say anything which would help Penn. In order to solve the contemporary crime Penn has to delve into his fathers past. This takes us back to the days of segregation and the Klu Klux Klan.

This book is fascinating. It gives us a glimpse into the way in which people and to live their lives under segregation. This does not just go for those who were being excluded because of colour or race, but also for those who supported them, black or white. Each strand of the story is superb and kept me reading. The characterisation is spot on and I felt that I knew the characters intimately.

So why 4 rather than 5 stars? This is a very long book and I thought it was slightly too long. This could have been a couple of hundred pages shorter an none of the story would have been lost. Despite this I would still highly recommend the book and believe any Greg Iles fan would love it.

The Shepherd's Song: A Story of Second Chances
The Shepherd's Song: A Story of Second Chances
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Moving and Engrossing, 28 Mar 2014
It is not often that a book comes along which is so thoroughly engrossing that you literally cannot put it down. This is one of those books. The basic story is that a woman writes the 23rd Psalm on a piece of paper and gives it to her son. He is not impressed and shoves it in his pocket. The woman is then in a car crash and whilst the is unconscious the note travels around the world. On it's way it touches, and changes, the lives of 12 different people. Each person and circumstance is linked to a line of the Psalm.

I found this book to be highly emotional. It swept me up and I found my emotions mirroring those of the people in the stories. I cried, I held my breath and found my chest tight and breathing difficult. It moved me in many ways and made me think differently about the 23rd Psalm. I would recommend this book to everyone, Christian's and Non Christians alike. It is possibly the best Christian book I have read in a very long time, and I am a prolific reader.

Betsie Duffey and Laurie Myers are exceptional writers and this comes across in every word of this book. I will definitely be looking out for more from them.

The Death of Pie (A Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery)
The Death of Pie (A Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery)
by Tamar Myers
Price: 18.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Mar 2014
I love Tamar Myers Books and was looking forward to reading this one. In this book Magdalena Yoder is currently on the hunt for the killer of a visiting author of a tell all book. It would appear that everyone in the town could have a motive for bumping off the victim. Magdalena, being the richest person it town, and pretty much owning the towns police force (1 officer) commandeers the police car and sets off on a madcap ride to find the killer. The book has a good storyline, with a well written plot. In many places it is laugh out loud funny.

The characters are all eccentric, each one being more crazy than the others. I could picture them perfectly. Tamar Myers has a gift for description which bring s the setting to life. I almost felt like I was there. The one thing which spoiled the book a bit for me is that I felt that sometimes everything was a bit over the top. By then end of the book I felt I and a surfeit of it. This is not to say it is not an excellent book, which it is. It was just a bit too much for me as a reader. Other readers may find this romp through detection right up their street. Would I recommend the book. Definitely. However, readers may want to take a look inside before they buy.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in return for an honest review. This review is based on my reading of the book and my own personal feelings, having done so.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20