Profile for Wendy Jones > Reviews

Content by Wendy Jones
Top Reviewer Ranking: 556

Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Peace
Peace
Price: 7.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Technothriller, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Peace (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book up as the price and been reduced in my local bookshop. If I and known how good it would be I would have picked it up at full price earlier. What a book. It is nail biting, on the edge of your seat stuff. Ir an and North Korea have nuclear capabilities and are going to use it to obliterate Israel, and indeed half the world. However, before you think this is a book about war, it is so much more than that. This is a technothriller which demonstrates how technology can be used for both good and evil. It is also a book of characters, all of who jump from the page. Good, or bad, they are perfectly drawn and are perfectly human.

This novel was written in 2011 but given the situation in the Middle East today, could almost be considered prophetic.

The one thing I will say about the book is that it does tend to jump between characters and situations in each chapter. This gave it a somewhat unsettling feel to start with. However, once you got used to this the storyline zipped along. All the, seemingly disparate, plots tied together beautifully at the end. There were a couple of characters I would have liked to have seen more of and have their story explained more fully. However, this is the first book in a series, so these may be picked up in later books. This is a Christian book but the Christian theme is very low key and does not detract from the main story. This is a book which would be enjoyed by anon regardless of their faith.

Overall an excellent book which I would highly recommend.

Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
by Valli Little
Price: 12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and Interesting, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This cookbook is absolutely fabulous. The 140 pages contained within it's pages are not your average humdrum recipes, but somewhat exotic and interesting. The book is split into sections, such as dairy, starters, chicken, pork etc. However, scattered throughout the book are interesting basics such as how to make the perfect roast potato or chips. There are also sauce recipes such as pesto sauce, sweet chilli sauce, mayonnaise, and onion marmalade amongst others. It tells you how long these can be kept in the fridge.

I have a lot of cookbooks abut I can honestly say that this is the best one I have seen. I haven't been so excited about a cookbook for a long time. I would highly recommend any cook to but this book. It would also make a great birthday or Christmas present. Well worth every penny.

The Edge of Nowhere: Book 1 of the Edge of Nowhere Series
The Edge of Nowhere: Book 1 of the Edge of Nowhere Series
by Elizabeth George
Price: 9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but Different, 25 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This offering from Elizabeth George is completely different but excellent nevertheless. The storyline is good with a tight plot and plenty of twists and turn. The characters are well drawn and completely believable. They took on a life of their own. You can't help but like them. It is fast paced, in fact much more fast paced than the usual Inspector Lynley mysteries, which I also love. The one thing I need to point out is that this is in fact a Young Adult book. Although I enjoyed it, I feel that it is better suited to a younger market. Also this book finishes on a cliffhanger, which means it is being set up for the next book in the series. It did leave me wanting more so I will buy the next book. Overall a great book but as I say perhaps more for the younger generation. It would make a great Christmas present for a teenager.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 1:27 PM BST

Sycamore Row
Sycamore Row
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sycamore Row (Kindle Edition)
What a book. It is some time since I have read a John Grisham, Mainly because I had pretty much read them all. When I fell across this one in the library I grabbed it and read it as soon as I got home. Now I started it on Saturday night and spent ally day Sunday reading it. I was actually planning on working on my website rather than reading, so that will show you how good this book is.

Jake Brigance is a lawyer who we met in one of Grisham's previous books. Brigance is white. He is asked by Seth Hubbard, who is also white, to deal with his final will. Seth has left all his money to his black housekeeper, and this is in historically racial Mississippi. As can be understood, the dead man's family are not happy about this and object. This leads to an outstanding legal thriller. The story line is superb and moves the book along a t cracking pace. The characters are so well drawn that they seem to leap of the page. Some of them are eccentric, and one of those whom I particularly liked was the judge. We need judges like this in real life. Lettie Lang, the housekeeper is also a great character who finds herself both bewildered and excited about what is happening to her.

This is no dry courtroom drama. There are twists and turns aplenty which keep you reading 'just one more chapter'. I may not have finished my website, but I have read a book which I can now highly recommend.

Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Price: 55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As electric toothbrushes go this one is excellent. It provides a good deep clean leaving my teeth and mouth feeling fresh. The thirty second vibration is useful telling you when it is time to move to another area of the mouth. By the final 2 minute vibration all of your teeth should have been cleaned. The larger toothbrush head is also good as it means you can reach all areas of the mouth.

It comes with an extra 3 toothbrush heads and a charger. The charger can be used by all members of the family. As there is only me in my household I don' really require the stand for the extra heads but this does not matter. It also comes with a carrying case which is extremely useful.

Overall this is an excellent toothbrush, a welcome addition to the Braun range, and one which I can highly recommend.

Oral-B Braun CrossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - (Pack of 4 Refills)
Price: 14.55

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great toothbrush heads, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are great toothbrush heads. used in conjunction with a braun electric toothbrush, the brush head gives a great clean. My teeth felt good and there was no residue on my teeth. The real test will come when I visit the dentists in a couple of months for a check-up, but I believe that this visit will prove how good these are. Would definitely recommend.

Children's books : Button Goes to the Doctor (Animal Habitats) (Preschool Children Books Collection) (Values Book) (Beginner Readers Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Under 5's, 15 Aug 2014
In this book in the series button has to go to the Doctor. Trying to keep him calm, Buffy suggests that he take his favourite bag of red buttons. It is raining, which should resonate with UK readers. On the way they see birds in the park and talk about what they can see. Button is examined and given a clean bill of health and a button shaped biscuit. He also learns to talk in human language. This is a lovely little book and children under five are sure to love both the book and buttons.

Children: Button Goes to Hollywood (BEGINNER READERS) (ADVENTURE & EDUCATION) (ANIMAL HABITATS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Discussing Travel, 15 Aug 2014
In this book Button wins a competition and goes to Hollywood. The book mainly describes his trip so this book is useful for discussing different modes of transport. As he does the trip on his own Buffy, does not feature heavily in this book. I really enjoyed the book and it would be great for pre-school children. The one thing I will say, is that the concept of Hollywood may be a little too difficult to grasp for British children under 5. However, the concepts in the book still translate well having travelled across the atalantic. A great addition to the Button Books.

Kids books: Button (Adventure & Education) (Animal Habitats) (Preschool Children Books Collection) (Values E-book)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Little Dog, 15 Aug 2014
It says in the book blurb that Button the dog is adorable and he is. In fact the's the cutest dog ever. In this book we are introduced to Button and his owner, Buffy. The simple words will be easy for pre school children under 5. It will help the older children to learn to read. In this book Button is learning some simple tasks, like counting to three and going up and down stairs, amongst others. This will help children to learn and reinforce what they are learning in real life.

The supporting illustrations are superb and really bring Button and Buffy to life. A great little book which would be enjoyed by both boys and girls of pre school age.

Rowan's Rule: The Biography of the Archbishop
Rowan's Rule: The Biography of the Archbishop
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Aug 2014
I believed Rowen William's to be a very complex man and was interested to read this book. However, I did think it had the potential to be a somewhat difficult read. I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that this was not the case. The writing style is clear but the book is still an in depth look at the life of the former Archbishop of Canterbury. It draws a portrait of a man who was intensely spiritual from an early age. Academically bright, he shone in the world of academia, and yet remained humble. The book shows that there was so much more to Rowan Williams over and above what was portrayed in the media and his public life. During his time as Archbishop of Canterbury he wrestled with many issues which still plague the Church of England today. He had to make difficult decisions which affected him deeply, many of which went against his own personal feelings. Yet he put the church and it's best interests ahead of his own interests. he was also deeply evangelical, and ecumenical, and worked tirelessly with churches of other denominations. He was respected by all those leaders with whom he came into contact.

This is a fascinating look at the life of a man whose life was given over to serving the God whom he loved. However, it is so much more than that. It is also a social exploration of the the Church of England and the way in which it has developed over several decades. I would highly recommend this book. It is not in any way stuffy and in fact is an enjoyable read which is full of interest.

I was given a copy of this book from the Publisher's in return for an honest review. This review is based on my reading of, and enjoyment of, the book. I was never at any time asked to provide a positive review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20