Profile for M > Reviews

The Rough Guide to Portugal
The Rough Guide to Portugal
by Jules Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious Ommisions, 25 Oct. 2015
If you are planning a trip to Portugal in the near future be aware that this book is seriously out of date when it comes to visiting Lisbon! We wasted two mornings travelling to different museums/galleries only to find the opening days in this book are wrong. It also describes to area around the Cais de Sodre railway station and market as run down... when in fact it is a very lively place with a huge Time Out food hall, popular with just about everybody it seems!

We also had problems in Aveiro where the map in the guide gives the main street a completely wrong name!

Usually a great fan of Rough Guides, but I think this one needs a update quickly.

Favorite Waitress
Favorite Waitress

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Favorite Waitress (Audio CD)
in my view this finds the Brothers back on form after the glitch of Celebration Florida. It's almost as if Simone Felice had returned to the family and told them to get themselves back to the woods and dig out those old instruments again and leave the modern technology back in the studio.
Cherry Liquorish was the taster track and after many listens it remains my favourite, slightly ramshackle but a good singalong and an excuse to turn up the volume.
One of my top albums of 2014.

Prospect Hill
Prospect Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars 2014 Discovery, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Prospect Hill (MP3 Download)
Discovered Mr Flemons at WOMAD this summer playing with Martin Simpson. Very entertaining singer and musician. The CD has spent a lot of time in the car, it's great for drumming on the steering wheel while sat in traffic jams or singing along to on the open road. Good mixture of traditional and modern, but it's hard to tell the difference between them....

Extremadura, Castilla-La Mancha, Madrid Regional Map 576 (Michelin Regional Maps)
by Michelin
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Still the best for Spain..., 5 Jan. 2015
I find these maps the best if you want to drive around Spain. They often feel a little flimsy if you are use to OS maps and as somebody else has said some of the road numbers are incorrect as Spain has a habit of changing things! But we found our way around the hills and forests to the east of Cuenca without getting too lost......

No Off Switch: An Autobiography
No Off Switch: An Autobiography
by Andy Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a while..., 15 Dec. 2013
So, I bought this book from the Songlines tent at WOMAD when it first came out. Got home and it got left in amongst the debris of a weekend camping only to be found a month or so later by which time I was reading something else. I am sure Mr Kershaw will understand when I say there are always plenty of books to read and his got lost in the pile beside the bed.

But, a few years on, I have got around to reading the story of the DJ who introduced me to so much music, especially during the mid 80s. It's makes me want to climb into the loft and dig out all those old LPs...if only I still had a turntable!

Also, it makes my wonder if those old special programs that AK made during his travels will ever be available again? I didn't get to hear much of AK's Radio 3 or 4 programs, and how I wish I had.....will we ever hear his range of music choice on the radio again?

It's not all about music, this book is the voice of a man who had all the right breaks but managed to make a mess of things with relationships several times, he could have lost everything but he has battled on and thankfully is now back on the TV, on the radio and has written a book he can be proud of.

Bouger Le Monde
Bouger Le Monde

4.0 out of 5 stars ...not as good as the first CD, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bouger Le Monde (Audio CD)
Staff Benda Bilili's first CD was an absolute delight and took me back to the late 1980s when so much great music was coming out of the Congo, much of it via Paris or Brussels. Much was made of the bands disabilities but that should not change the fact that these guys know how to play great music.
Sadly many picked up on the single stringed satonge, which I have nothing against but when it came to this second CD they stick it on every track which isn't needed in my view.
So I am knocking a star off for that as it spoilt my enjoyment of the CD and hence I have not listened to it as much and not got to know it so well as the first.

Green Men & White Swans: The Folklore of British Pub Names
Green Men & White Swans: The Folklore of British Pub Names
by Jacqueline Simpson

3.0 out of 5 stars Pub names with Folklore connections, 19 Nov. 2013
A little disappointed with this...having got a couple of Simpsons books already I found this to be little more than a pasting exercise from those books. Many of the pub names chosen are those named after folklore and so what you get is another version of the same old story of George and the Dragon, Robin Hood, King Arthur etc. There are a few nuggets when she looks at one off names but there also seem to be some glaring omissions. Why no mention of the Chequers? one of the earliest pub signs I believe? I think there must be better books on the subject out there....but I only paid £1.99 for my copy so should I complain?

From The Ground Up
From The Ground Up
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be heard, 21 July 2013
This review is from: From The Ground Up (Audio CD)
Found one track on one of those sample CDs stuck to the front of Mojo or Uncut magazine...Checked out the whole thing on Spotify...decided I needed to buy a copy! So far one of the best CDs of the year in my opinion..but what do I know? If you are a fan of all things Americana then at least give this a listen...

We, The Drowned
We, The Drowned
by Carsten Jensen

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: We, The Drowned (Paperback)
Was really looking forward to reading this book and got into it quickly on a long journey. The first couple of main characters are involved in some great stories, brilliantly written, very descriptive and you can almost taste the salt in the air. However I came to a stage where the central character at the time, a woman, just didn't keep me engrossed, the book seemed to become becalmed.
It picked up again as the horrors of World War Two were portrayed vividly but unlike some books I can't say I finished it wanting to rush out and read the sequel (if there ever is one).
Overall, well worth reading.

Karrimor Men's Bodmin Ii Mid Weathertite Light Mink Walking Boot
Karrimor Men's Bodmin Ii Mid Weathertite Light Mink Walking Boot

2.0 out of 5 stars Not lasted the winter!, 23 Feb. 2012
Bought a pair of these back in the Autumn and took them on a walking holiday in (dry) Spain in October. Nice and comfortable, no problems. Have used them on and off through the Cornish winter (never in heavy rain or in proper mud)and they have already come apart where the grey rubbery bit meets the scuff bit near the front of the boot. I may be just unlucky but this is the first time I have bought boots on-line...not sure if I will again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3