Profile for Charles Vivian > Reviews

Content by Charles Vivian

Charles Vivian (Cheltenham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Answering Atheism: How to Make the Case for God with Logic and Charity
Answering Atheism: How to Make the Case for God with Logic and Charity
by Trent Horn

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, 17 Jan. 2016
I am a Catholic. I had an atheist friend contact me recently, who I suspect has been exposed to some of the more virulent atheistic arguments. This book provides a wealth of responses to the philosophical objections to God. I feel comfortable that he was able to demonstrate that it is more reasonable to believe in God than not.

He also writes clearly, but gently, so that I have no qualms about suggesting my friend buys a copy.

The Cheat to Lose Diet: Cheat BIG with the Foods You Love, Lose Fat Faster Than Ever Before, and Enjoy Keeping It Off!
by Joel Marion

5.0 out of 5 stars Excited, but very early days..., 10 Jan. 2016
This review is being written about a year too early. I've gained and lost weight over the years. The biggest problem has been identifying a way to keep the weight off once lost. I'm excited about this diet, because it appears to offer exactly that. I'm coupling it with Shin Otake's Maxworkouts programme.

Week 1? A little bit uncomfortable, but great to know it was only a week. 2 inches off my waist, 4-5lb lost. (May be glycogen and water, as Joel points out). But week 2 is comfortable, and I reckon I could cope with this element of the diet long-term.

So, I'm excited, but it's too early to really know whether this will work.

Berlin: The Downfall 1945
Berlin: The Downfall 1945

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, but not his best, 6 Jan. 2016
I'm a huge fan of the detail that Beevor brings to his topics. Whilst he excelled again with this book, I felt he drifted into historiography too much. It is clear that he despises Nazism, but he allowed this personal view to be expressed repeatedly, rather than letting the facts speak for themselves.

Interestingly, more than for any other war book I've read, I was struck by the awful, dreadful waste of human life.

How Good We Can Be: Ending the Mercenary Society and Building a Great Country
How Good We Can Be: Ending the Mercenary Society and Building a Great Country

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 April 2015
Fabulously precise in its analysis. A must read!

Labour and Justice: The Worker in Catholic Social Teaching
Labour and Justice: The Worker in Catholic Social Teaching
by Gavan Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 25 Jan. 2015
This is an extraordinary book. It provides an historical overview of the Catholic Church's teaching about labour and dignity.

I had wanted to explore the moral and ethical difficulties posed by individuals not wanting to work, and claiming benefits, (including sickness benefit). But what I discovered is that the Church is far more concerned about the behaviour of the people at the top, which drives the behaviour of those at the bottom. He makes the point forcefully that the Church has always resisted communism, because it denies the basic right of humans to own property. But it has equally forcefully condemned capitalism, which in its neoliberal form has reduced large sections of society almost to slavery.

The only downside of adopting an historical approach is that themes are repeated in each chapter. I think it might have been even better if the key themes had become chapter headings, with explanations of how these had developed over time.

The Sock Exchange Weekend - United Oddsocks - 6 Oddsocks for Men UK 6-11
The Sock Exchange Weekend - United Oddsocks - 6 Oddsocks for Men UK 6-11
Offered by etailz UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 3 Aug. 2013
Exactly what I wanted.

Just sorry I couldn't buy them through an organisation that wants to support the local population, and pay a fair share of tax.

Look to JK Rowling as an example, Amazon!

a for Amazon - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher
a for Amazon - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to have bought this., 21 Jun. 2013
I regret spending any money with Amazon. I always try and identify alternative sources, and supporting other online companies who actually look to pay a fair share of tax.

I despise your advanced capitalism, Amazon!

Kingston Technology 32 GB DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 USB Flash Drive - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 21 Jun. 2013
Great memory stick.

Only regret is that I bought it through amazon. I spend time with every purchase, trying to identify an alternative source that actually has some degree of morality about paying corporation tax.

Finding Your Hidden Treasure: The Way of Silent Prayer
Finding Your Hidden Treasure: The Way of Silent Prayer
by Benignus O'Rourke

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 21 Jun. 2013
I've read a number of books on contemplative prayer. Lots give lots of ideas, but this was superb for understanding the process. Have read it once and just started again.

The wisdom in this book is completely at odds with the morally bankrupt Amazon policy of not delivering social justice by paying a fair share of tax.

Rya Start Sailing DVD
Rya Start Sailing DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice introduction, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Rya Start Sailing DVD (Unbound)
Trying to get my kids into sailing, and this was a really nice little dvd.

Amazon: pay your fair share of tax!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4