Profile for Say_what_I_think > Reviews

Crayola Beginnings Washable Finger Paints
Crayola Beginnings Washable Finger Paints
Offered by Accessory-Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good family fun time - bring the artist out, 19 Aug. 2011
I do have a slight bias to Crayola, as their products have always left me happy with the purchases!
This finger paint is no exception. My 3 year old loves it (she started with it around 6 months ago), and this became part of a routine we do every couple of days. The quality and texture are fine (this is finger painting after all), the quantity supplied will last for a while and the fun factor is quite high. I would have preferred it if there were more colours than just the 3 supplied - but we do our share of colour mixing to come up with new ones.
The fact that the paint is so easily washable on both clothes and hands (and legs and face etc...) is the ultimate selling point - even it becomes messy beyond the allocated space, it is really easy to clean-up afterwards.

I have been buying more of the same whenever i ran out - so I am a happy customer

A Dirty Job
A Dirty Job

1.0 out of 5 stars good read until..., 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: A Dirty Job (Kindle Edition)
Overall quality of the book OK and it was my first time reading anything from this author. The style is fiction/humour (witty) most suitable for tube rides where you don't need to focus much on complex issues. So the book is interesting to read, and as long as you don't expect literary genius, then you will be fine.

The bone I have to pick with the author however is the needless use of a religiously charged name in what could be considered as inflamatory context.
As the story evolves, two hounds from hell (so two dogs), find their way into the plot. One of the dogs is called Alvin, and the other is called... Mohamed.

The author has the liberty to choose whatever name he wants in his story, but obviously should be aware that some names are revered in some cultures and societies and their misuse (especially when naming a dog) could leave some readers unhappy.
I read the book to see whether the use of the name 'Mohamed' was necessary in a plot development or was leading to a certain twist- but none was there. So the animal could have been called Pluto, Lassie or whatever, and it would not have had any impact on the story. It follows that one would question the need to use such a name in such a context, which I, as a paying reader, find objectionable.
One should have some empathy towards people's sentiments regarding revered figures whether Mohamed, Jesus, Abraham or other; their gratuitious use in contexts purely designed to raise an eyebrow or just to make a point comes with implications.

Still, the author can write whatever he wants, but bottom line, he needs to sell books. I, for one, will not be reading any more of his books.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2012 4:04 PM BST

E1 Entertainment Peppa Fairground Round End Cutlery Set
E1 Entertainment Peppa Fairground Round End Cutlery Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps with your kids' eating if they are Peppa's fans, 2 Aug. 2011
These are my daughter's favourites utensils. I cannot comment on their ergonomic design or their superior grip because that's not the aim of the product. If your children (like mine) love Peppa, then this is an addition to the many themed products that you have. It would encourage them though to eat on their own just because of the theme - as was the case with my daughter (Thomas cutlery would be as useful for a Thomas fan...)
On durability etc, they are sturdy and the knife is not too sharp so thankfully we had no incidents, however due to repetitive washing-up the pictures and colours will ultimately fade.

Oxford Reading Tree - Read at Home Full Pack - 31 Book Collection series Set RRP 123.69 (Level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 Includes The Snowman, Funny Fish, The Monster Hunt, Featuring Kipper, Chip, Biff, Floopy and others) (Read at Home)
by Roderick Hunt and Alex Brychta

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pack - great value, 2 Aug. 2011
We got the pack for my 3 year-old, after buying a couple of books from the series. My daughter is a bit of a book worm and hence loves them, but regardless we found them very child friendly and educational.
The pack (at great value) offers different levels and hence as the child's confidence in reading builds up, you could move on to more advanced books (with more words etc..). The layout presented is great, each book has a simple, real-life event which is very easy and simple for the child to follow (such as a birthday event). The illustrations are good and evocative and the words are simple and repeated on many pages, which is boring for an adult but key to teaching children reading and new words. I can already see improvement in my daughter's abilities.
I am very happy with the purchase, would recommend it and would gift it to other people.

LINX HDMI Cable - Premium Gold Plated HDMI Lead for Full HD/HD Ready TVs - 1.2 metres

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 31 Dec. 2010
Good value HDMI cable. My only regret is that I did not get a longer cable. This is 'long enough' for my TV/DVD/electronics setup, but a 1.2MM is much shorter once you start connecting the cables and trying to make them pass unnoticed behind your speakers etc. So my recommendation would be to buy the longer version of the cables (maybe 2MM). Otherwise great quality / does what it says.

Crayola Pip-Squeaks - Mini Markers (14 Pack)
Crayola Pip-Squeaks - Mini Markers (14 Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value - small markers - very suitable for toddlers, 31 Dec. 2010
We have these and the Crayola Beginners markers, and these are much better. The fact that these markers are smaller, enables the child to have better grip and control over them. They come with 14 colours so plenty to use and loose! It is great they are washable, as my daughter draws on her fingers/hands/feet/clothes, and we have been always to remove the stains by a simple rinse.

Highly Recommended.

Crayola Beginnings First Markers (8 Pack)
Crayola Beginnings First Markers (8 Pack)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but I found a better alternative, 31 Dec. 2010
These are good markers for kids to use. There are many colours and are easy to open/close. The beauty about Crayola is that they designed this range to be easily washable, and hence we have no concerns when my daughter starts drawing on her hands/feet or clothes because it all washes away nicely. We have used these marker pens until I found another range (from Crayola too) which is called the Crayola Pip-Squeaks - Mini Markers. These come with 14 markers/colours (maybe too many), are a great value but more importantly are smaller and more of the appropriate size for the toddlers' small hands and fingers (as well as for putting in a bag and using them on the go). My daughter can control these markers much better.
So, the markers in this page are good, but I prefer the Crayola Pip-Squeaks - Mini Markers. Check these before making up your mind.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2014 1:14 PM GMT

Peppa Pig Family Fun Set
Peppa Pig Family Fun Set

4.0 out of 5 stars fun stamp toy, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Peppa Pig Family Fun Set (Toy)
If your kids are into Peppa Pig (as is mine), then this is a nice toy to accompany whatever playdough products you already have. In essence you are paying for the 4 charachters that you can use to create a 2D stamp. There are four small dough tubs to use and mould, but don't expect to easily build or replicate a 3D shape of any of Peppa Pig's characters, this is not the intention. I do not have any regreta for buying it, just because Peppa plays such an important role in our lives! but don't have higher expectations of what is this intended to do (for 5GBP I dont think you can anyway).

Flash Memory 16GB USB DRIVE
Flash Memory 16GB USB DRIVE

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value memroy drive, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Flash Memory 16GB USB DRIVE
Quite happy with this product. Arrived on time, and have used it on many occasions. The price is rather cheap but does not compromise the speed/quality. Nothing to complain about, so I recomment this memory drive. PS I used it on both PC and MAC and it works fine under both.

LEGO DUPLO 5639: Family House
LEGO DUPLO 5639: Family House

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy for kids (and parents too), 30 Dec. 2010
Got it for my 2 1/2 year old daughter. Very easy to assemeble, we had fun in putting it together in 15-20 min. It encourages imagination and role play as it will get the child to replicate his life/family interaction (it has a Father, Mother, Daughter and a baby). The different areas of the house enable different focus: bath time, lunch time, cooking in the kitchen, playing in the garden, sleeping in the bedroom etc.

Strongly recommended.