Profile for BALLYSEAGAL > Reviews

Content by BALLYSEAGAL

BALLYSEAGAL (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Black Watch: Liberating Europe and Catching Himmler - My Extraordinary WW2 with the Highland Division
by Tom Renouf
Price: 16.10

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit hit and miss for me i'm sorry to say, 17 Dec 2013
I finished this a few weeks back and felt like something was missing while reading it and also when it was finished. I have read a good few ww2 books over the years and this one ranks near the bottom of the pile.

I would never claim to be able to go through half as much as Tom Renouf did but i just felt like this book was mainly about the whole Highland Division and what they did before he joined up. Its more like a Regimental history book with a little bit of personal first hand details included compared to an out and out one mans story during the war. I have no doubt he seen and experienced some terrible things but for me the book never really made that very clear.

I have the utmost respect for any member of the armed forces regardless of what war they fought it and i hope this isn't seen as anything personal.

Kelly Brook Official Calendar 2013
Kelly Brook Official Calendar 2013
by Danilo
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking, 20 Dec 2012
For me Kelly Brook is like a young Burt Reynolds stunning :-) and this will take pride of place in my work and will help me make it through 2013.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2013 2:47 PM GMT

Hitman Absolution (Xbox 360)
Hitman Absolution (Xbox 360)
Offered by Super-bargains
Price: 6.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Hitman missed the target i wee bit, 14 Dec 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having pre ordered this game as soon as a release date was announced i couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I have loved all the previous games to bits and had many hours of fun talking to my mates about how we did did this contract or that contract.

For me this game has let me down a wee bit and i know some folk loved the fact it was story driven this time but not me. I wanted it to be just like the old games and it wasn't. Don't get me wrong the controls and the way the game look all tick the right boxes but it was missing something for me.

I'm of the school of thought if its not broken don't fix it. It should have been along the lines of previous games where your given a job to do, do the job, collect money. but no its got a setting like a film where your a cold hearted killer who gets a girl to rescue!! i'm sorry thats just not what being 47 is all about. They got rid of the map feature on this game and i can see why now because most of the time its all about getting from one part of a map to another rather than getting targets to kill.

I am now more looking forward to the HD Trilogy of old games getting re-released so i can get back to loving the bald assassin that is Number 47.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2013 4:40 AM GMT

The Saboteur (Xbox 360)
The Saboteur (Xbox 360)
Offered by JosephGaming
Price: 19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Saboteur de force, 9 April 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game appealed to me in a lot of ways.

It is set during the second world war and has many elements similiar to a GTA game. You have some sleath killing and uniform stealing like a Hitman game and you have building climbing and rooftop action like an Assassins Creed game thrown in for good measure.

I had hours of fun topping off German soldiers stealing the uniform and then sneak about blowing up radar and AA gun emplacements. The only thing i would say is the sheer number of enemy units, guns, tanks, towers, radar sites etc it a wonder they lost Paris to the allies!!. The plot and story of the game is at times a bit OTT but its quite enjoyable.

My only annoyance with this game is the voice acting of the lead character. He is meant to be Irish but i could do a better accent than the guy they got for this!! it always bugs me when they have folk doing rubbish English/Irish/Scottish accents in games.

If your a fan of the GTA type sandbox game, a little bit of a ww2 fan and a wee Hitman/AC fan you should enjoy this.

With the Jocks: A Soldier's Struggle for Europe 1944-45
With the Jocks: A Soldier's Struggle for Europe 1944-45
by Peter White
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinnie shoot its just Coo's Sur, 30 Mar 2012
I have just finished this book and i really loved it. I have read a fair few WW2 books in the past wee while and was looking forward to reading this.

It made a change to read about the ordinary Scottish soldiers during the war and not all the pip pip tally ho English gentlemen trooping about europe. A fair few times while reading how White's Jocks spoke to him it made my chuckle cos its the way i speak and would probably be talking the same way.

I do agree that with some folk saying that a lot of the Jocks he wrote about are mainly faceless but i can see where he was coming from. A lot of the time you could imagine him not really wanting to know every last detail about his soldiers because of the danger they faced day in day out.

When i read about how in some of the german town they captured they just went into the houses and settled down for the night while the german family slept round about them it was a real eye opener.

I would recommend this book to anyone who shares my passion for WW2 books.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360)
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise the Machine God, 20 Mar 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game really appealed to the inner geek in me, From start to finish i loved the look, feel, and action in this game.

I used to go to the Games Workshop when i was younger and it was one of the main reasons i purchased the game. I always used to think that the whole 40000 universe was pretty cool and looked forward to playing through this.

From the start to the finish i played this game with a wee smile on my face.

If your a fan of the Warhammer 40000 games then you should enjoy this.

Damned Busters (Angry Robot)
Damned Busters (Angry Robot)
by Matthew Hughes
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars More fun than a ferret in a handbag., 16 Mar 2012
I was recommended to give this book a bash by one of my mates and i'm happy to say i wasn't disappointed.

My only gripe with the book was the third chapter i just found it was too jammed with loads of folk talking and found it easy to lose my way while reading it. it was on a par with the Council of Elrond in the LOTR books.

The rest of the book was a hoot and not like a normal "Super Hero" story.

In short if you like your Heroes of the Super variety then read this.

The Afrika Reich
The Afrika Reich
by Guy Saville
Price: 10.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Reich up my street, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Afrika Reich (Hardcover)
I got a loan of this book from one of my mates as he shares my love of WW2 books fiction and non. I really enjoyed the whole twist in the story of how WW2 ended and the setting in Africa really sets this off.

It reminded me of the type of action movie you go to see and folk say leave your brain in the foyer and get some popcorn. That isn't meant to bring the book down in any way its just to give you a heads up that it'll be full of action and some points you think "how did they survive that?". While reading this i've been late for work twice as i've missed my bus stop too busy reading :-0.

If You Survive (Ivy Books World War II/Nonfiction)
If You Survive (Ivy Books World War II/Nonfiction)
by George Wilson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Good WW2 book, 16 Nov 2011
I just came across this book while looking through all the WW2 books available through Amazon and the name of the book hooked me right in. from reading the details about the book it sounded like it was the book for me.

I really enjoy WW2 books set in and around the european campain and this one didn't disappoint me. having read the Stephen E Ambrose Band of Brothers book and hearing all about what happened to them it was good to read a book about one soldiers tale in and around the Battle of the Bulge.

The section of the book set during the Hurtgen forest fighting really opened my eyes and have a real deep respect for all who went through the horrors of WW2.

In a nutshell if you like the Ambrose books you'll enjoy reading about George Wilson.

With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic (Pacific TV Tie in)
With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic (Pacific TV Tie in)
by Eugene B Sledge

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking WW2 book, 26 July 2011
Having never been a fan of the Pacific theatre during WW2 i struggled to get into watching the mini series that was made using the books and characters as it material. After i've read this book i am now a convert and will do my best to read up on more of the Pacific campain.

The way Sledge comes across in his is book is a real breath of fresh air and at some parts while reading it i felt like i was there with him. This is now in my list of top 5 favourite WW2 books and thats not bad considering i didn't enjoy anything to do with the war fought in the Pacific.

In short if you enjoy WW2 books you enjoy this and even if you don't enjoy WW2 books and enjoy reading it a cracking good book.

Page: 1 | 2