Profile for david horn > Reviews

Content by david horn

david horn

The Seed Buried Deep (The Expedition Trilogy, Book 2): True Story of the First Human-Powered Circumnavigation of the Earth: Volume 2
by Jason Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars are not enough., 13 April 2014
Having read part one of 'The Expedition' I couldn't wait to get my hands, and more to the point, my eyes on part two. It was well worth the wait. Allow yourself plenty of time, for when you start to read it you will not want to put it down. My admiration for the courage and sheer guts along with an exceptional writing talent of Jason Lewis increases 'by the book'. Part two cannot be released quick enough for me.

Dark Waters (The Expedition Trilogy, Book 1): True Story of the First Human-Powered Circumnavigation of the Earth: Volume 1
by Jason Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you will not want to put down till you've finished it., 13 April 2014
This is an amazing book. Having read many books about adventures around the world I have to say 'This Book Will Take Some Beating' Jason Lewis Is a very brave and gutsy man and his description of the first part of his Expedition is brilliantly written.. he
is a master wordsmith.

Thunder and Sunshine
Thunder and Sunshine
by Alastair Humphreys

5.0 out of 5 stars A.H. the Great, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Thunder and Sunshine (Paperback)
What an amazing book. I really like adventure Biographies and have read quite a few of them. This book by Alastair keeps up the interest all the way through and I like the way he describes the people and places and gets down to the nitty-gritty. He is an incredibly brave man and I admire his strength....not just his physical strength but also his mental strength. It wasn't untill I was checking the eye-Bookshelf at the back of the book that I noticed he had written part one 'Moods of Future Joys'.....it will be with me in a couple of days, courtesy of Amazon.

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
by Mike Tyson

2.0 out of 5 stars Tyson the Terrible, 26 Dec. 2013
I wanted to read about Tyson so that I could form my own opinion about him and not rely on the press releases. Yes! for me he was
unbeatable and could have retired unbeaten if his behaviour had been different....but that was the very thing that made him unbeatable. It was the booze, drugs, sex and attitude that defeated him and the book went on to describe nothing more than page after page of this lifestyle.

Rose for Winter
Rose for Winter
by Laurie Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Rose for Laurie, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Rose for Winter (Hardcover)
I like Laurie Lee....I think his style and prose is beautiful (that is if one can call a piece of writing beautiful) but I only gave Rose for Winter four stars because it became rather monotonous and started to read like a tourist travelogue. It lacked a sense of adventure.

A Short Book About Drawing
A Short Book About Drawing
by Andrew Marr

5.0 out of 5 stars A Short Book About Drawing., 25 Nov. 2013
I've always liked Andrew Marr and his 'likeability' comes over in his delightful book. I'm a bit of a scribbler myself and my favourite medium is pencil so we have something in common. I really like his interpretation of the reason behind drawing and reading this book has given me a shove in the right direction.......the paper and pencils have been rooted out again. Thank you Andrew.

Lee: as I Walked out One Midsummer Morning
Lee: as I Walked out One Midsummer Morning
by L Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars As I walked out One Midsummer Morning., 25 Nov. 2013
A beautiful book. Brilliantly written with the addition of excellent illustrations. Laurie Lee at his best. I'll be reading it again.

Cider with Rosie (Collectors Library)
Cider with Rosie (Collectors Library)
by Laurie Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Cider with Rosie, 25 Nov. 2013
I gave it a five star rating because it is one of those books that you can't wait to bet back to it and yet at the same time you don't want to rush it. The prose is superb.