Profile for Chipstick > Reviews

Content by Chipstick

Chipstick (Buckinghamshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Reception Year in Action, revised and updated edition: A month-by-month guide to success in the classroom
by Anna Ephgrave

5.0 out of 5 stars I have found this book tremendously useful, and one I go back to time and ..., 25 Dec. 2015
I have found this book tremendously useful, and one I go back to time and again. The book tracks a year in a reception class, following the activities, achievements and development of the pupils there. It shows the progress of the cohort and gives a genuine feel for the setting. I've bought a lot of books to support my work as a practitioner. This was one of my better purchases!

Rocket Fuel 'Education Is Important But Morris Dancing Is Importanter' Mens Funny Printed T-Shirt Many Colours and Sizes - Black - XL

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for a Morris Dancer!, 25 Dec. 2015
This was the perfect gift for my Morris dancing-teacher husband. He loved it. The shirt is good quality and the print clear. Great fit, absolutely delighted with it!

Retro Style Black Ink Red Feather Quill Ballpoint Pen
Retro Style Black Ink Red Feather Quill Ballpoint Pen
Offered by Fly Service

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun but not always reliable., 25 Dec. 2015
I bought six of these to inspire my Reception class children to write in our Santa's grotto roleplay, Mission accomplished, they loved them and for that alone they were worth buying. However, as mentioned by another reviewer, the pens inside the feather are very short. One ran out after a few minutes light use by me, a second never worked at all. However, it is easy enough to insert a standard ballpoint pen refill (trimmed slightly to fit) into the quill if it runs out. That said...for the price, you might find that buying a set of large feathers and putting in your own biro inserts much cheaper and longer lasting...I'll certainly be giving it a go. These are fun and add a sparkle to writing, but are not made to last long, however they DO have the fun factor.

Emporio Armani Men's Watch AR5889
Emporio Armani Men's Watch AR5889
Offered by MTM WATCHES

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch to treasure, 25 Dec. 2015
This is a beautiful watch. Bought for my son's 18th birthday. It looks and feels like quality. Having the reassurance of amazon's guarantee gave me peace of mind (especially since the first watch had fault, but was swiftly, effortlessly replaced). It looks even better than the photos. I have a very discerning son...he was delighted, what better validation!

Lights & Sounds Buzzers, Set of 4
Lights & Sounds Buzzers, Set of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!!, 25 Dec. 2015
These are great..the uses are as infinite as your imagination. I've used mine as to inspire my class during phonics quickfire questions, as a sound effect prop and for games nights with friends. They are well made, the sound effects are fun AND they light up...great stuff!

Planning for Learning Through People Who Help Us
Planning for Learning Through People Who Help Us
by Rachel Sparks Linfield

3.0 out of 5 stars £9.99 for 24 pages...not sure., 25 Dec. 2015
I was looking forward to receiving this as I am planning a term on this topic for my reception class. However, although there are some good ideas for activities, I was surprised that for a purchase price of £9.99 it is only 24 pages long (and pages 1-7 simply outline the book talk about summarise the early learning goals)!

The book approaches the topic thematically, ie people who help us: at home, at school, keeping us safe, keeping us healthy, with our food, plus ideas for a thank you party. There is a double page spread for each theme with ideas for across the curriculum in bullet point paragraphs. While the book has been partially updated to reflect the new curriculum, some of the activities (for example maths number activities) still only go up to 10. With a bit of time spent online researching you will find as much, or more, for free, that is possibly more current. A couple of decent ideas for book stimuli made the purchase worthwhile, but otherwise, I don't think I will get a huge amount from the purchase.

Supertato
Supertato
by Sue Hendra

5.0 out of 5 stars It really IS Super!!!, 20 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Supertato (Paperback)
I bought this largely based on the great reviews on amazon and took it into school to read to my class of 4 year olds. I wasn't sure what their reaction would be. But they LOVED it and the story really captured their imaginations. So much so, that we ending up having to make our own Supertato (and supercarrot and sprouts) out of vegetables. Don't hesitate...buy it! I've had parents asking me what this book is because the children have gone home talking about it and am sure copies will be whizzing off the shelves as a result. I'll be planning a topic round it next year I think! It's great ...the reviewers were right!

Australia  (We're From)
Australia (We're From)
by Vic Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars A super little reference book!, 20 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Australia (We're From) (Paperback)
I bought this book to support a year 1 topic on Australia and wasn't sure whether it would be worth the investment, but am delighted with the book. Although its only 32 pages long, it gives a lot of interesting information about the lives of 3 young Australian children. The children enjoy very different cultural and social backgrounds. One child lives on the coast, another is from a rural farming family and the third is an aboriginal child. The text and photographs are positive and vibrabt and helps show how diverse life in Australia is.

The book includes lots of photographs and simple text which could be enjoyed by confident young readers independently, or better still, with an enthusiastic adult. Includes a nice index and contents which make it a lovely reference book too. I'm really happy with my purchase and wanted to review it simply to give others the confidence to buy it too.

The Kid's Multicultural Art Book: Art and Craft Experiences from Around the World (Williamson Kids Can! Books)
by Alexandra M. Terzian

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource, 18 Nov. 2011
This fantastic book contains creative and craft ideas linked to many countries of the world including the Americas, Africa, Asia and the far East. I purchased this to support topic planning on festivals for my year 1 class and am delighted with the diverse range of craft and art ideas it incorporates, which could easily be adapted. This is not just a book for children though, the ideas will inspire teens and adults too.

The only gap is in the lack of resources for the European countries and for Australasia. However the quality and diversity of the ideas make this well worth the investment and I know I will be referring to this book time and again.

Superhero ABC
Superhero ABC
by Bob Mcleod

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for discussion and learning, 5 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Superhero ABC (Paperback)
I bought this to stimulate ideas for our topic on Superheroes at school and what a fantastic resource it proved. There is a new superhero for each letter of the alphabet with lots of alliterative description about each. The illustrations are bright and bold and my class loved them.

This was a stimulus for lessons on alphabet work and to help the children invent and their own superhero. There is so much room for discussion and creativity.

This is wonderful book to share.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7