Profile for Chipstick > Reviews

Beta Male Fairytales
Beta Male Fairytales
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful debut!, 23 Sep 2007
This review is from: Beta Male Fairytales (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of their single 'Let it out' and because it came out as an Amazon recommendation for me (another bulls-eye for my music collection!) and I have not been disappointed.

The songs (often guitar based) contain some beautiful lyrics and arrangements and all the songs have an immediate impact. I think Ben's Brother are going to be very big...I hope so.

I agree with the other reviewers - there are echoes of both the Stereophonics and Keane in terms of style, and the lead vocalist's voice does sound reminiscent of Rod Stewart. But in spite of this, Ben's Brother have very much their own sound!

Highlights on the album for me are the delicate and beautiful 'Bad Dream' and, of course 'Let it out'.

I highly recommend this!!!

The L Word - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
The L Word - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Beals
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 8 Sep 2007
I bought this on the recommendation of a friend who knew I had enjoyed 'Sex and the City' and '30 Something'. There are similarities with both series' (and probably many American TV dramas) since you follow the lives, loves and relationships of a group of people, who in this case just happen to be lesbians.

The stories of love, loss, disappointment, joy and pain are universal. The characters are appealing and you will find yourself drawn in and (gay or straight) you will be able to identify with many of their experiences.

There are quite a few 'sex' scenes in the series which are nicely shot and (as a straight woman) I thought were inoffensive (although I would suggest if you have a problem with the concept of lesbianism, then this series would probably not be for you).

The series lacks the 'edginess' of the British 'Queer as Folk', but is as good as any of the best American series' in my opinion. I cerftainly enjoyed it and will be getting the other seasons shortly as I want to find out what happens to these characters!!

The Roads Don't Love You
The Roads Don't Love You

4.0 out of 5 stars A grower...., 8 Sep 2007
I have had this album for a while and have found myself playing it more and more as time has gone on. It's not a cd which knocks you out on first listen, but more seeps into you.

Her voice is reminiscent of Shelly Poole or even Avril Lavine however her style is quite different and hard to pigeon-hole. 'Easy on the eye' is a beautiful, tender ballad, just guitar and her lovely vocal and is a favourite of mine on the album. However, most of the songs are more rock edged and upbeat in tempo with strong lyrics, edgy arrangements (similar at times to those used by Snow Patrol on their early stuff) and subtle harmonies.

If you like Catherine Feeny, Shelly Poole, Leona Naess you will certainly enjoy this!

We Were Here
We Were Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply gorgeous, 26 Aug 2007
This review is from: We Were Here (Audio CD)
Joshua Radin deserves to be a major name! His songs are beautifully crafted, largely acoustic guitar tracks with a folky edge. The songs are gently paced and gorgeous. He uses simple arrangements, which add to the power of the lyrics ('Sundrenched world' adds cello and strings and beautiful female harmonies to his breathy voice).

Unlike some of the other reviewers, I found his songs very immediately accessible - perfect for chilling out with, sharing with friends or working to. They seep into and through you.

His style is probably closest to Simon and Garfunkel ('The sound of silence' is very similar to some of his songs), with echoes of Nick Drake, Jose Gonzalez and even Damien Rice and Tom McRae.

I really hope that this cd is released in the UK as I think he could be massive. If you enjoy mellow, acoustic and harmony rich songs this is for you.

Hand Built By Robots
Hand Built By Robots
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars He will blow you away!, 9 Aug 2007
This review is from: Hand Built By Robots (Audio CD)
I bought Newton Faulkner's cd on spec, having seen it advertised on television, and boy am I glad I did! His voice is somewhat reminiscent of Paolo Nutini's in it's richness and bluesey edge. However while there are similarities to Paolo in a few of his songs, Newton's songs are far more harmony rich and accomplished musically, with beautiful acoustic guitar and subtlely beautiful arrangements.

If you like the surf sound of Jack Johnson or Kalai then you are likely to find his style readily accessible. However, don't expect another Jack Johnson! No way, this guy has more depth: his voice has a real aching passion that hits you in the same way as Damien Rice's voice and lyrics do.

Newton Faulkner is very, very special. A rare talent. Uplifting, moving, heart-rending. I think he is going to be massive (he certainly deserves to be!)

I urge you to buy this!

Willy the Wimp
Willy the Wimp
by Anthony Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Willy is NOT a wimp!, 5 Aug 2007
This review is from: Willy the Wimp (Paperback)
This is a lovely book. Perfect for children from around 6 to 9 - as the humour and situations better fit the slightly older child's humour and experience.

Willy decides to change the way he looks (from wimp to muscle-bound!)as a result of being bullied. He works out, eats a special diet and, over time, achieves his dream. He eventually saves a girl gorilla from the bullies (who run away at the mere sight of him). However, what the book emphasises beautifully is that, while he has changed the way he initially appears to others, he is still the same caring (and a bit silly!) gorilla inside.

A lovely book for encouraging children to look beyond appearances. It also offers a wonderful message that we CAN change, with determination and commitment.

A lovely, funny and uplifting book!

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book, 26 July 2007
This is a beautiful book in every sense: the illustrations are detailed and glorious and the rhyming text enhances the experience. A little snail hitches a ride around the world on the tail of a massive whale. He sees all sorts of habitats and environments, as well as how mankind can adversely affect marine life, before the whale gets beached on the sand. The snail may be small, but now he manages to help his friend (with the assistance of mankind this time!) and as a result they both get home safely.

This is children's writing at its finest. There is so much depth to this book and in reading it you will have the opportunity to really share and discuss, as well as simply to enjoy the enchantment, humour and magic of this lovely story!

When the Pawn...
When the Pawn...

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight!, 22 July 2007
This review is from: When the Pawn... (Audio CD)
Fiona Apple is a new, and delightful, discovery for me.

Her voice and style are a curious meeting of KT Tunstall, Chrissie Hynde, Pink (her ballads), Buffy Sainte Marie and Joan As Police Woman. Her songs, curiously upbeat jazzy ballads, explore relationships and emotions.

The arrangements are fairly simple with unexpected additions which lend a true originality to her work. Her lyrics create images quite unique, compelling and vivid.

Just like Joan As Police Woman, her songs grow as you listen to and appreciate the lyrics more.

If you like songs with a bit of depth and emotion then this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown up and gorgeous!, 25 May 2007
This review is from: 9 (Audio CD)
Damien Rice's first album 'O' was for me, one of the defining cds of the last 10 years! So it was with some trepidation that I approached his follow-up, however, I need not have worried.

As with 'O', Damien's haunting songs of love, loss, pain and regret squeeze you emotionally and are touching on the most profound level. Lisa Hannigan's delicious vocals and harmonies add perfectly to the atmosphere he creates with simple, mainly acoustic guitar or piano arrangements.

There is however a new edge to his sound. 'Rootless Tree' is a case in point. It begins gently as so many of his ballads, charting the sense of loss at the end of a relationship before launching into an angry, hurt tyraid. Initially it jarred slightly and I was unsure whether I liked it. However, ironically this is probably now my favourite song on the album. The anger, angst in its lyrics: "Hate you, love you and all we've been through" so perfectly sums up the tortured anguish so many of us feel when love goes wrong...we regret, and we don't regret, we hate, yet we love. For me it is heady stuff!

His lyrics are beautiful as ever but have more maturity. The relationships he explores in these songs are fully grown. Damien Rice has lost none of his magic for me.

Fans of 'O' may need to give this a few listens before fully appreciating and enjoying the whole album. I know I did. However, it is worth the investment. Damien Rice still has integrity, honesty and the most emotionally intense and moving songs in the market today in my opinion.

I love this album!!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 20 May 2007
The Nokia 6300 is a stunningly beautiful phone. Its stainless steel covers give it a real sense of sophistication and it feels really special.

Beyond its looks, it is also a very nice little phone packed with features, but not intimidating or hard to use either.

I upgraded because I wanted a better camera and music player. With 2 megapixels and a zoom, the camera on the 6300 is fine for general use although is not going to replace my 'proper' camera. It also takes video and records sound.

The music player is perfect for my needs, although to make it really worthwhile you'll need to purchase a larger memory card (which I did very cheaply on Amazon). Uploading music to the phone was quick and easy with the Nokia software provided and have been very impressed by the sound quality the phone produces with and without the headset.

It's early days, and I cannot comment on long term reliability yet, however I am very impressed with this phone so far. It is easy on the eye and meets all my needs. The smaller keys are a little trickier to navigate than some of the older style Nokia's at first, but this is a minor point and I am quite delighted with my purchase!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6