ARRAY(0xac23f514)

Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 CPU Cooler
Price: 28.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem sorted, 14 Nov 2013
On arrival I was a little taken aback by the actual size. By virtue of that, it does a cracking job removing the heat from the CPU, and is much, much quieter than the original cooler. Well designed, offering fitting options for airflow direction. I also bought a couple of Bitfenix fans to assist smooth airflow through the case. Very pleased with the overall result.

Silverline 633869 Digging Bar 1700mm
Silverline 633869 Digging Bar 1700mm
Price: 24.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have done the job without it, 14 Nov 2013
Used for digging post holes. The blade end cut through tree roots and cloying mud, and helped with breaking concrete. I can't imagine how I could have done the job without. Well worth the money. Good delivery too.

Loftek Sentinel D3 4-9mm 3x Optical Zoom Lens Outdoor Waterproof Wireless Pan/tilt Night Vision IP Camera with Ir-cut Off Filter, Auto-iris (Auto-brightness Adjustment), Ip66 Waterproof Enclosure, 50ft Night Vision, 72 Viewing Angle, Synology & Blue Iris Compatible, Pan 360 Tilt 90, White

2.0 out of 5 stars Updated after product failure, 24 Oct 2012
Save time on the detail, jump straight to the addendum at the end, and come back if you still want more of my impersonal experience.

I wanted the D3 to add to my existing cameras. I stumbled at the first hurdle when I could not communicate with it using Windows 7. The handbook and instructions in general contain pidgin english and malapropisms that require 'decoding', which can be both amusing AND extremely frustrating.

I contacted Loftek and received a two-part reply. A respondent, clearly of oriental extraction, confirmed there was no available software for Windows 7, but attached XP screenshots in Chinese characters to try and help(!) This was, however, accompanied by an addendum in good english by another Loftek respondent offering remote assistance to do the set up for me. I was impressed by their prompt and courteous customer service.
In the event I dug out an old XP machine, and using the supplied software, got the camera up and running on my desk ..... before getting out the ladders and embarking on difficult installation work.

The camera is sturdily made; the PTZ functions well; it looks good (smaller than I'd imagined), and happily transfers images via FTP to my Synology NAS. (I wasted a lot of time on FTP settings, where I eventually worked out that the instruction 'first' actually means after doing something else!). The free DDNS set up was extremely easy as it is virtually automatic, allowing both remote viewing and management of the camera settings; different user accounts to be set up, and 'visitors' to use the camera.

All controls work perfectly using Windows 7 and IE9. The browser on my Android Sony Ericsson phone (and a very good free app called 'IP Cam Viewer Lite') allow similar viewing and control on that, but the camera does NOT respond properly to all controls when using Safari browser on iPad. Overall I thought this pretty good.

At 640x480 in daylight the image quality is quite reasonable, and will allow personal identification, but, of course, HD it ain't.

In darkness the in-built LEDs project a broad beam of Infra Red light which is densest at its centre. Whilst capable of illuminating a subject at the end of my garden and making a human shape obvious, to have any chance of personal identification the subject needs to be completely static and within 20 feet of the lens. Beyond that distance, facial features are lost, and any movement, however close, simply makes the subject an unrecognisable human form.

Basically, the IR is good enough to see what's going on, detect an unwanted presence and trigger a response..... but isn't good enough for personal identification purposes. A PIR light operating in the field of view when IR is active means the extra light tends to spoil the picture.

Ideally I would have liked to be able to simply turn off the IR, as I have been able to do with my other cameras - keeping them in 'daylight mode' at all times - so I can capture decent full colour images using PIR operated lights. That (expected) option is simply not available on the D3, which automatically turns on IR as darkness approaches. My mistake - assumption is the mother of all foul-ups, and I now realise that the Sentinel D1 would possibly have more closely met my requirements, so my choice of camera was actually wrong.

I found wi-fi connection comparable with ethernet, but opted for the latter in view of experience with other cameras (when needing a firmware upgrade).

The D3 has an 'alarm' function linked to motion detection. This came as a shock when setting up, as I had my speakers turned up and nearly did something childish at the warning sound! I can see that this alarm facility might be extremely useful in the right circumstances.

Taking everything into account I was pleased with my purchase. It did not meet my overall requirement for a security camera to positively identify trespassers at night, but it does give me the ability to have a good look around the area, with a satisfying picture in daylight. (Nice when looking out onto Mounts Bay, Cornwall in sunlight).

My perspective on the D3 was dented after only a week when it simply 'died'. Amazon immediately offered to accept return for a refund, but I deferred that option in view of the amount of installation work I'd undertaken.

I found that the failure was due to the 2 amp power supply becoming defective, something I was prompted to check by another Loftek reviewer on Amazon US. Reporting the failure to Loftek, I was simply asked if I could try another power supply, which I did, bringing the camera back to life again.

Following an exchange of emails with Loftek and Amazon I have been reimbursed the expenditure involved with buying the replacement power supply.

Customer service: Amazon 10 out of 10 + Loftek 10 out of 10 = 1 satisfied customer (for Customer service element only)

ADDENDUM (Jan 2014) The electronics on the camera failed after 13 months actual use. I plan to use the case to house a Foscam, so the expenditure is not a total write-off.

Pdair Hand Made Black Leather Book Type Case Cover for Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S with belt clip

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 25 Sep 2012
Had this in use for some months now, and love it. I'd say I'd buy another, but it is so well made it will probably outlive the camera ... if not me!

AC 100V-240V 3 Pins UK Plug CCD Camera Power Adapter
AC 100V-240V 3 Pins UK Plug CCD Camera Power Adapter
Offered by sourcingmap
Price: 4.27

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution - 2A ?????, 25 Sep 2012
The product description and pictures clearly describe/show the output as 2A. The item I received was labelled "1000mA", so the description is totally misleading. What I was sent is not suitable for my purpose. Documentation shows the item was distributed on behalf of Dragonmarts Co. Ltd. Anyway, look elsewhere if you require more than 1A output. (Note: Amazon accepted return without issue).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 2:42 PM BST

Race Injection (PC DVD)
Race Injection (PC DVD)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT
Price: 5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Installation issues - W7 64 bit, 3 Jun 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Race Injection (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This is an updated review based on experience - using Windows 7 64 bit

I believed I was buying an installation disc with the 'Race injection' gaming software thereon.
The 'manual' accompanying the DVD indicated that it should provide options for installing either an Online or Offline version of the game. I was offered no such option, and, as I recall, at that point used the Run 'Race_Injection_Setup_EGFIS.exe' option (referred to in the 'manual'). I was linked to a company called 'Steam'. Despite misgivings and concerns about compromising the security of my machine, I went through an obligatory registration process to create an account with 'Steam'.

After logging into my new account, and providing the 'Online Activation Key' supplied, I was granted permission to download the game software. This took many hours (5 hours+ for the basic game alone, without the extension pack options). If there is an off-line installation version on the disc then it certainly did not manifest itself!

Moving on..... there is an issue likely to affect others using Windows 7 (mine is 64 bit).

After installation I encountered a problem with the complete absence of a mouse pointer to navigate through menus, rendering the game virtually unplayable. Using my new 'Steam' account I sought help via the link to the software manufacturer's uk support line, but my mail was returned as undeliverable. Next step was to try Steam's support system, which required me to open yet another seperate account. This finally took me to a list of FAQ's that included my mouse pointer problem with W7 ....... so it is a known issue.

The requirement was to turn of Windows 7 Aeropeek setting for my desktop, and turn off mouse trails in Control Panel. That did the job, and the game is now very, very enjoyable (It definitely merits 5 stars for Fun, but a lot less for installation! 'What do you expect?', I hear you say. Well, I expected software.... I could actually find on my disc....that worked without hassle). I hope I can save other W7 users such anguish.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2012 10:48 PM BST

SAMSUNG GT-S5570 / S5570 GALAXY MINI - PHONE PROTECTION - BLACK PREMIUM PU LEATHER FLIP VERTICAL WALLET CASE COVER POUCH + 2 CUSTOM FIT SCREEN PROTECTORS
Offered by Membrane Store
Price: 2.95

1.0 out of 5 stars RUBBISH, 29 May 2012
After one month of careful use (carried in a pocket in my wife's handbag) the plastic holder for the phone has started cracking, and pieces have broken off without provocation. It seems my wife is not the only one to suffer this problem. Poor materials = NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case
Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case
Price: 69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this one!, 28 May 2012
This is a very substantial case, with a real feel of quality in construction. I upgraded to a larger case in view of difficulties cramming 6 drives and my latest (long!) video card in my old case. This case made the task simple, allowing plenty of room for air flow, and offering additional options for cooling. Its solid construction has a definite sound deadening effect, and my system has never been quieter.

I use rocker switches to select which combination of drives and operating system I want to use, and these are protected by the hinged door over the external drive bays, preventing accidental contact. (There is ample room behind the door for such mods). The USB 2 & 3 sockets, and the on/off switch, are very conveniently positioned at the top/front, so I don't go grovelling about to find them near floor level any more.

All round a well thought out design by this brand, and the best case I have bought in the last 30 years. If I enthuse too much it might help offset my criticism of the 'Achilles heel' in the Coolermaster Elite 330 in my last review! I am VERY happy with this purchase.

Elite 330 Mid Tower Chassis
Elite 330 Mid Tower Chassis
Offered by PreisCompany
Price: 50.65

1.0 out of 5 stars An Achilles heel...., 17 Aug 2011
Whilst I would support the positive comments of other reviewers about the screwless design and the case in general, it might be helpful to know that, after a relatively short period of use, I encountered an unexpected/unacceptable problem with the power button stemming from poor materials/design. As I could find no source of spare parts this created a potential 'write off' in an item I would expect to last for years.

The return 'spring' for the (nicely illuminated) power button is actually made of plastic, moulded to create a leaf spring 'cradle' that keeps the button centred in its housing. Mine simply fractured and failed. Come on designers....skimpy plastic leaves for a return spring? Yeuk!

With judicious surgery I managed to modify the cradle, and manufactured a shaped steel replacement spring, glued in place to keep the button centred and thus useable. I have to be careful to ensure that the button does not get 'cocked' or jammed (with resultant risk to the BIOS and my heart!), but as my wife actually managed to do this recently, I have sadly decided that the case will have to be consigned to the scrap heap....for the sake of 1p worth of plastic. I will dig out one of my older, less aesthetically pleasing, but reliable cases.....as tarnished beige will no doubt be coming back into fashion shortly.

Would I buy this particular case again? NO.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 1:08 PM GMT

Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface
Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface
Offered by redappleaudio
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 25 April 2010
My initial requirement was a little limited in scope, although with useage I now see other unforeseen applications.

I bought the UCA 222 to interface my keyboard/effects processor/mixer with my desktop PC to record my musical efforts. Having experimented with different operating systems, I found that it works happily on XP 32 bit, Windows 7 64 bit, and Vista 64 bit.

The software supplied, notably the free open source 'Audacity' program (with a big thank you to all the writers involved in its production) has given me real pleasure, as I record, edit and multi-track my Yamaha keyboard. The final production is invariably flattering to my skill level. The connections on the UCA 222 allow me to do this using the headphones output, so even at orchestral levels I don't have to annoy anyone.

For me, this inexpensive interface works really well, and has been a very worthwhile purchase. Oh, and good service by Blue Aran too. Thanks, guys.