ARRAY(0xa744abdc)

Profile for Pauline Fisk > Reviews

Content by Pauline Fisk

Pauline Fisk "Pauline Fisk" (UK)

The Expats
The Expats
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Read, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
Had me up all night. Can't understand the negative comments. No trouble with the time lapses, which were used to good effect in creating suspense and playing tricks on all concerned - including the reader. Well rounded characters, though hardly likeable. But when was liking characters a prerequisite for a good novel? Thank you Chris Pavone. You can write for me again.

The Gift: How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World (Canons) (The Canons)
The Gift: How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World (Canons) (The Canons)
by Lewis Hyde
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift Indeed, 1 Mar 2013
This fascinating book on the subject of the creative gift is a must for anybody working in the arts, whatever their discipline, and for those who appreciate the arts, especially books. This is a slow, systematic trawl through what it means to be gifted, to share and to keep the creative flame alive. Righly this book is described as a modern classic. As a writer myself, I shall return to it again and again. The differentiation between gifts and commodities is timely. I have myself recently written on the value we put on words and the modern concept of the 'free giveaway', and have benefited from being able to draw on Lewis Hyde's 'The Gift' in making my point. I'm delighted to provide this lovely book with its first review.

Katherine Mansfield: The Story-Teller
Katherine Mansfield: The Story-Teller
by Kathleen Jones
Price: 14.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A tragic tale, a riveting read, 26 Jan 2013
Over the last week and a half I have been absolutely caught up in this book and have only put it aside reluctantly. So much commends it, not least being the cast of characters and the affect they had upon each other's lives, whether they be husbands, wives, children, lovers, friends or colleagues. Not just Katherine but the players in her life are explored from all sides and given space - and their own words - with which to reveal themselves. This is a fine, sensitive and well-researched biography that sends me rushing to read Mansfield, wondering why I've never done so before. Can't say when I last enjoyed, or felt so touched or inspired by, a biography.

The Wild Places
The Wild Places
by Robert Macfarlane

5.0 out of 5 stars A really special book, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Wild Places (Hardcover)
Can I have more stars, please? This was a wonderful book from beginning to end. Every chapter entranced me and so did the idea, so eloquently expressed, that wildernesses aren't only to be found up mountains or across vast terrains but in our own back gardens and under every hedge. I loved the pared-back elegance of McFarlane writing. I warmed to his commitment to experiencing wildernesses wherever they were to be found and, by the time I'd finished, I was looking at the world around me with new eyes.

This book was really special. And, being as picky a reader as I am a writer, that's not something I often say.