Profile for Jane Allan > Reviews

Content by Jane Allan

Jane Allan (Surrey, England)

Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth
Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth
by Grantly Dick-Read

5.0 out of 5 stars My new gift for pregnant mums-to-be, 13 Oct 2008
I bought and read this after seeing it mentioned on an NCT website and reading the recommendations here. It was the best thing I did in preparing for giving birth. It gave me confidence to look forward to labour without any fear. I had a very quick and straightforward delivery. I can't claim that it was all due to the impact of reading this book, but I am convinced that going into labour feeling excited rather than fearful was very beneficial. This book was the main factor that gave me that calmness. It is old fashioned, and by the end I found that it was dragging, but by that stage I had learned all I needed to know.

The Good Samaritan: Big Book: My Very First BIG Bible Stories
The Good Samaritan: Big Book: My Very First BIG Bible Stories
by Lois Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 5 Aug 2008
This is a great version of the story of the good Samaritan for small children. The story is simply told, yet very faithful to the original parable. The pictures are lovely. I have looked at a number of versions of kids Bible story books and was most impressed by this one. The others in the series also seem to be similarly good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2011 10:27 AM GMT

Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Roberto Benigni
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars If you could only watch one more film...., 24 Jun 2006
How can the horror of the holocaust be expressed in film? No words or pictures can be adequate. That is why even films such as Schindler's List are ultimately not satisfying - they attempt something that cannot be done.

The genius of this film is that it succeeds, not by recounting horror upon endless horror, but with gentle, tender, heartbreaking understatement.

The effect is more powerful than any other filmed treatment of the topic could be.

The starkest moment in the film involves the Nazi doctor in the concentration camp who recognises Guido as the waiter with whom he used to share riddles. The doctor is greatly excited and seeks a private interview. Guido experiences a glimpse of hope,the prospect of imminent escape. The shared passion for word games seems to be a bond that has sparked compassion, awakened a heart to the ties that link one human with another. The conclusion of this incident is bleak. We see humanity at its most shameful, not in conscious cruelty, but in the complete lack of self-awareness and understanding that is the result of self-obsession.

This film will make you laugh, but it will also make you cry. It left me with a blank feeling within, touched me as if I had personally been involved in some event that I mourned for. I have not felt like this about any other film.

This is the undoubtedly the best film that I have ever seen.

Cold Mountain [DVD] [2004]
Cold Mountain [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Jude Law
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mountain with a Spectacular View, 23 Jun 2006
This review is from: Cold Mountain [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
This film is startlingly good.

It is beautifully structured and deeply moving. Watching it is like reading a well-written novel. It fits together perfectly and has a cast of fully rounded, engaging characters.

The ending does not disappoint. Although the film does not hold back from showing the very worst of human nature, the viewer is left with a sense of optimism. This is not the result of a cliched 'get out'. The final outcome seems inevitable and yet is so skillfully done that it is completely satisfying.

I would rate this as in the top 5 films I have ever seen.