Profile for Mr. Anthony JONES > Reviews

Content by Mr. Anthony JONES

Mr. Anthony JONES "ant_in_wales" (Mid-Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Wild Target [DVD]
Wild Target [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Nighy

3.0 out of 5 stars Undemanding with worrying subtext, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Wild Target [DVD] (DVD)
I don't think anyone NEEDS to see this film, as it isn't particularly thrilling, funny or suspenseful.
But equally, it isn't BAD and hits the marks it aims for.
It passes an amiable 90 minutes.
The script has a slightly rushed feel with a perfunctory ending and the director rattles us through it.
Bill Nighy underplays nicely, Emily Blunt looks lovely, Grint gets in the way a bit as the world's least convincing street-kid and Rupert Everett does the thing he usually does.
Only Martin Freeman looks out of place with little to do. He brings little to an under-written part apart from a nicely creepy smile.
**Spoiler Alert**
The only disturbing aspect is that of Blunt, as an attractive, vivacious early 20s fun-girl, would suddenly decide to settle down with a seedy hitman heading into pensionable age.
As a seedy, middle-aged man myself, I applaud the film-makers for trying to convince attractive young women that this is a valid option, but it doesn't ring true.
Yes, I know there are Freudian Father issues going on here, but that's no excuse.
The denouement is ridiculous too. Even Bond baddies don't do that sort of "And now I'm going to kill you in a weird way" thing.
I know it's "farce", but we'd had to accept a lot of plot/motivation holes that far and the old gun was a script-clunk too far.

Rastamouse: Da Crucial Plan & Other Adventures [DVD]
Rastamouse: Da Crucial Plan & Other Adventures [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Mogford

5.0 out of 5 stars Some thorny moral issues, 6 Aug 2012
My children and I do love Rastamouse - and I never tire of hearing mid-Wales children singing the theme tune with a cod Jamaican accent.
The best aspect of Rastamouse is his championing of restorative rather than punitive justice.
So rather than getting, say, the cheating runners locked up, Rastamouse helps them "make a bad ting good" by running to fetch The Prez's pizzas.
Which leads us into the main problem of the series - "The Prez".
Firstly, when was he elected and by what %. I see no signs of an effective opposition, or of an ongoing democratic process.
Like all despots, "The Prez" abuses his position and makes Rastamouse and the gang act as his de facto slaves.
Many is the time The Easy Crew will be rehearsing for a big gig when "The Prez" radios, without a by your leave, instructing RM to "come quickly".
The crew will be sent on some fools' errand, with RM having to sort out the problem, usually without much thanks.
The problems usually focus around "The Orphans", in whom "The Prez" shows an excessive interest - I wonder why? Surely he didn't have anything to do with their birth, did he?
So why doesn't Rastamouse rise up & become Prez himself?
He'd clearly be much better, and would share the Palace that the Prez keeps to himself. I fear RM is suffering from the Marxist sense of "False Consciousness" and believes that it's The Prez's destiny to rule, and RM's destiny to be ruled.
Time for change on the island.
Also, why are they called "The Easy Crew"? They're always working hard - "The Exploited Crew", more like!
Finally, some people "cheese" doesn't refer to "cheese", but this says more about the commenters than Rastamouse.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2013 12:57 PM GMT

Plays One: "Love and Money" , "Osama the Hero" , "Debris" , "After the End" (Oberon Modern Playwrights)
by Dennis Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard work but rewarding, 22 May 2012
I've just finished the first two (aren't plays a nice quick read?) but I need a rest now.
Very clever creations of complete worlds, and a striking non-natural style.
Great dialogue that jumps & burns like real speaking.
I do think he's got a few issues about Fathers, though. And men in general.
I'm hoping the third play will be a sunny comedy about a couple wondering whether to share a desert, or go mad and have two!

Guardian Crosswords: Quick One (Guardian Newspapers Ltd)
Guardian Crosswords: Quick One (Guardian Newspapers Ltd)
by Hugh Stephenson

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT From The Guardian, 6 Feb 2012
Why these are "The Guardian" crosswords when they're NOT out of the Guardian.
I gace two at Xmas & both recipients found them a lot harder & not as clever/fun as the Guardian Quick.
The Guardian's always quick to point out other companies' sharp practises but they seem to think this is OK?

Ghost City (Methuen Fast Track Playscripts)
Ghost City (Methuen Fast Track Playscripts)
by Gary Owen

4.0 out of 5 stars Are Monologues Plays?, 27 Sep 2011
So are monologues plays? Are they?
I likes 'em, very clever.
Fragments - interesting fragments, though.
So is this a play? Is it?
Yeah, yeah, I know, but the boy does have a good pair of ears and has characters bursting out like the alien in that film (can't remember what it was called)
So if it's not a play, what you reading it for? Does it pull the birds, these days?
I dunno on either. But it will make me read his other stuff.
"Crazy Gary's Mobile Disco" is a play in four words, so I think I'll be avin that next.
Do they have it in Marksies?
There's a shop on Newport Rd called "What" where I saw a woman look at a 2-pack (not the rapper) of purple paper towels & bellow at her mum "This is doing my head in"
Gary would have got a vignette out of that, fo sho.
His knowledge of Aberystwyth pubs is rusty - if he fancies a night out up here I've got a spare bed.

The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
by Sarah Silverman

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny But Thin, 14 Jun 2011
Like Ms Silverman herself, this book is funny but a bit thin.
There's some great material, but a nagging feeling that she has had to bulk it out somewhat, hence the 4 stars.
If you like her, you'll like this book.
Personally I only read it as I literally love her & we're made for each other, and this will give me useful info for when I chat her up. And I'm not punching above my weight - she went out with that idiot Jimmy Kimmel for year. And I'm not keen to do her ***-ways, so I think I'm in with a shot.

FIFA 11 (Wii)
FIFA 11 (Wii)
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous Challenges for "Fame", 14 Feb 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 11 (Wii) (Video Game)
OK, there are 33 reviews already describing that this is a good football game & better than FIFA10.
So I add to this the observation that the challenges in the much-lauded Street to Stadium section are ridiculous.
The idea of boosting your reputation in order to get interest from bigger clubs is very clever, but the criteria are ridiculous.
I spent my second season with Preston NE, where I scored two goals a game, including a hat-trick in the cup final.
In the real world, an FA Cup hat-trick following a successful season would create a queue of Premiership managers. Yet I received no kudos for this feat and nor did I achieve "5 passes via backheels".
Had I spent the cup final performing backheeled passes I would have gained 4 Fame points: instead I wasted my time scoring a match-winning hat-trick.
Having a game, which is trying to be realistic, yet is set in some bizarre alternate reality, is poor.
And playing as a striker can be a bit boring as you wait for your clumsy team-mates to get the ball up to you.
Watching THE COMPUTER playing the game, badly, as your team mates simply watch oponents waft through their space is very annoying.
Too late in the season now: avoid.
Fortunately the game also lacks lineswomen (or indeed any women at all) for Andy Gray to be rude about.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2011 6:28 PM GMT

Mastrad Roasting Thermo-Sensor
Mastrad Roasting Thermo-Sensor

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I DO agree with the settings, 16 Jan 2011
My dear ladyfriend bought me this as a Christmas present which would also benefit herself.
I am a complete disciple of Hugh F-W - his "Meat" book is my most-used cookbook but his method of v hot sizzle, then a cooler roast leaves cheaper cuts tough.
I followed his recipe for cooking topside & it was a tough chew.
Whereas using this, and the method described by James Bury of this parish, worked a treat.
I put it in my Le Creuset copy (IKEA, £30, bargain), added 1/3 of a bottle of wine, inserted meat probe then put the lid on.
I then set the Mastrad to Beef/Medium Rare (63C).
Where I perhaps differ with Mr Bury (and Huw F-W) is that I put it on a v low heat - 120-130C in fact. (As well as a meat thermo a Lakeland oven thermometer is an essential buy at £5).
My 1kg piece took about 90 minutes and was perfectly medium rare.
Hugh F-W thinks medium rare is more like 50C, and some people on here think the Mastrad's default settings are too high, but this was done perfectly.
I am very pleased with my present and intend to use it on brisket next.

Kalooki Nights
Kalooki Nights
by Howard Jacobson

2.0 out of 5 stars This Is Not A Comic Novel, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Kalooki Nights (Paperback)
Thank Goodness for the other reviews on here! I'm 100 pages in & was starting to wonder if it was just me.
After Mr Jacobson's Booker win, I read several articles saying how funny he is, although Kalooki Nights was better. ("Comic Novel Wins Booker!!!" etc)
He was all over the posh papers, and as a big fan of several generations of Jewish comics (Bruce to Seinfeld to Silverman) he sounded just up my street.
Which just goes to show, yet again, that The Guardian et al have no sense of humour.
This book is like being trapped by a bar-room bore with only one topic of conversation.
It is interesting, and it is informative, and explains a lot about the Jewish thing, but it is also painfully self-absorbed. Maybe that's the joke.
Enough with the Jews already - what about his sister? Or how the family earn a living? And what is Kalooki anyway?
But I don't trust Jacobson either. That he chose to marry anti-Semitic Zoe & Chloe (I can't do umlauts but Howard certainly can) is incredible, and a cheap device to give him a few characters to play with.
This is NOT a book for the general reader, or for the fan of humorous prose.
I would advise you to keep a safe distance.
I am 100 pages in & it could be my first abandoned book for a long time.
Should I do it? Should I persevere? I only worry that it might flip me over into anti-Semitism myself.

Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD]
Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Riz Ahmed

3.0 out of 5 stars Not funny or insightful enough, 4 Sep 2010
I'm a big Chris Morris fan, BrassEye, DayToday, blah.
This film just isn't funny or interesting enough.
A few jokes raise a smile, the explosions are good, but that's it. We have four Baldricks & a slightly more self-aware Baldrick.
Why does Omar want to blow himself up? Why does his wife want him to blow himself up. What about Omar Jr?
No one seems interested in what makes someone want to blow themselves because they've been told to.
It does make suicide bombers look pathetic, but we didn't need that explaining, did we?
Didn't under-appreciated animated sketch show "Monkey Dust" do radical Islamic terrorists with Lancashire accents five years ago? In 3 minute sections, rather than film-length & with a few more laughs?
Strangely, when this came out, the posh papers lauded it as hilarious. I wonder if Chris Morris worship has gone a bit far. This didn't need to be 90 minutes or show at the cinema. Times for CM to do a few 30 minute shows.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2010 11:30 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7