Profile for Mr. Anthony JONES > Reviews

Content by Mr. Anthony JONES

Mr. Anthony JONES "ant_in_wales" (Mid-Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Brendan Gleeson

2.0 out of 5 stars A horrible film for horrible people, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Calvary [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
The time is right for this.
Not all priests are child-molesting monsters, and this film nicely shows how it is for a good man to be part of such a reviled profession.
However, don't be fooled by all the comedians in this film - it is cynical, dark and unpleasant.
I found it pointlessly grim and lacking in redemption.
The who-will-do-it is clear from the first scene, and Dylan Moran is sadly wasted.
With such a great cast, it took great skill to make such a bad film.

Hectic Sports Bcaa Branched Chain Amino Acid - Pack of 120 Capsules
Hectic Sports Bcaa Branched Chain Amino Acid - Pack of 120 Capsules
Offered by Hectic Lifestyles

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, good value, 12 Mar. 2014
I'm new to the whole workout thing, and bought these to see if they had any effect
They do - my muscles feel less stiff so I must be recovering better.
Ordering some more now.

The Long Walk
The Long Walk
by Stephen King
Edition: School & Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars Do The Math, 3 Jan. 2013
Great book, original idea, but.
No one has done the math, or asked how reasonable it is.
An hour of 4mph is 400 calories. So the participants would be using 9600 calories a day.
The "food" they were given was completely inadequate - let's assume they were able to take on about 1500 calories per day.
After two days they would have a deficit of 15,000 calories - they would be dead.
And has anyone actually tried walking at 4mph?
We had a go with a GPS at the weekend on country lanes - fine on a descent, hard on the flat, impossible to sustain on a hill.
Again, all dead by end of Day One.
Or am I missing the point?

Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml
Barrettine Methylated Spirit 500ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good once the holiday's over & you're home, 23 Oct. 2012
Following a wonderful holiday in Scotland, where I practically lived on "The Barretine", I slipped a few bottles into my case for when I got home.
But isn't it always the same?
Once I got home, it was a different drink.
Maybe it's because I was drinking it indoors, without the sun on my back, and without my new friends from the park with me.
Somehow, it just wasn't the same.
The half bottle now sits on the shelf with the moonshine from Louisiana & the homemade raki from Crete.
It won't become a new best friend, but it will be there for me when my leg starts playing up again or my wife's never-ending nagging pushes me over the edge.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the car, 19 Oct. 2012
My car stereo has a USB socket on the front, and a standard USB drive sticks out too far.
Once in, this is about 5mm proud, which is incredible for an 8GB drive.
I've plugged it into my Renault, and it works right away.
Not sure what makes this particularly suitable for cars (as their blurb indicates) but it suits me fine.
Only 4 star as the packaging is very difficult to open.
Very good price - I don't even mind that it's now £1.50 cheaper than it was when I bought it a week ago.

The Feeling - Singles [2006 - 2011]
The Feeling - Singles [2006 - 2011]

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant affair, 16 Oct. 2012
Pop music is the art of casual fling.
No one writes great songs about being married for 25 years, of a companionable silence over-looking the Rialto, of squidging your lover's squidgy bits.
So it is appropriate that my relationship with The Feeling was enjoyable, invigorating and time-limited.
They had somehow passed me by, like garden centres and car boot sales.
So when I heard "A Hundred Sinners" I was pleasantly surprised & over-joyed to find a like-minded soul.
As I pulled out my guitar, we came to know each other well. I hacked around, and decided that Hundred Sinners is in D but immediately goes up to some sort of E. E7? E4? Good move.
It then moves to G and D, but you can stick some sort of other E in there (perhaps E4) and a Daug to liven things up a bit.
And is that a Gm in the middle-8 breakdown? I can see Mr MaCartney nodding his head approvingly there.
Refreshed by our new intimacy, I got this album to learn more.
And somehow, I found my new lover slightly lacking.
Oh yes, technically brilliant. Knows all the tricks. Little bit of Beatles harmony, little bit of exposed emotion but somehow lacking in character.
Something to make The Feeling stand out from the crowd, something original, something to make them my favourite.
But it never quite appeared.
And so the memory remains, but I've moved on. I've returned to my old loves, and a few new flings too.
I've got an ear for a catchy tune myself, you know. I have, I have, even if I say so myself.
But it's never quite been enough.
And I feel that I now understand slightly better why that is.
So my relationship has distracted me, entertained me, and taught me something about myself. And you can't ask for much more than that.

Wild Target [DVD]
Wild Target [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Nighy
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Undemanding with worrying subtext, 17 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Wild Target [DVD] (DVD)
I don't think anyone NEEDS to see this film, as it isn't particularly thrilling, funny or suspenseful.
But equally, it isn't BAD and hits the marks it aims for.
It passes an amiable 90 minutes.
The script has a slightly rushed feel with a perfunctory ending and the director rattles us through it.
Bill Nighy underplays nicely, Emily Blunt looks lovely, Grint gets in the way a bit as the world's least convincing street-kid and Rupert Everett does the thing he usually does.
Only Martin Freeman looks out of place with little to do. He brings little to an under-written part apart from a nicely creepy smile.
**Spoiler Alert**
The only disturbing aspect is that of Blunt, as an attractive, vivacious early 20s fun-girl, would suddenly decide to settle down with a seedy hitman heading into pensionable age.
As a seedy, middle-aged man myself, I applaud the film-makers for trying to convince attractive young women that this is a valid option, but it doesn't ring true.
Yes, I know there are Freudian Father issues going on here, but that's no excuse.
The denouement is ridiculous too. Even Bond baddies don't do that sort of "And now I'm going to kill you in a weird way" thing.
I know it's "farce", but we'd had to accept a lot of plot/motivation holes that far and the old gun was a script-clunk too far.

Rastamouse: Da Crucial Plan & Other Adventures [DVD]
Rastamouse: Da Crucial Plan & Other Adventures [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Mogford
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Some thorny moral issues, 6 Aug. 2012
My children and I do love Rastamouse - and I never tire of hearing mid-Wales children singing the theme tune with a cod Jamaican accent.
The best aspect of Rastamouse is his championing of restorative rather than punitive justice.
So rather than getting, say, the cheating runners locked up, Rastamouse helps them "make a bad ting good" by running to fetch The Prez's pizzas.
Which leads us into the main problem of the series - "The Prez".
Firstly, when was he elected and by what %. I see no signs of an effective opposition, or of an ongoing democratic process.
Like all despots, "The Prez" abuses his position and makes Rastamouse and the gang act as his de facto slaves.
Many is the time The Easy Crew will be rehearsing for a big gig when "The Prez" radios, without a by your leave, instructing RM to "come quickly".
The crew will be sent on some fools' errand, with RM having to sort out the problem, usually without much thanks.
The problems usually focus around "The Orphans", in whom "The Prez" shows an excessive interest - I wonder why? Surely he didn't have anything to do with their birth, did he?
So why doesn't Rastamouse rise up & become Prez himself?
He'd clearly be much better, and would share the Palace that the Prez keeps to himself. I fear RM is suffering from the Marxist sense of "False Consciousness" and believes that it's The Prez's destiny to rule, and RM's destiny to be ruled.
Time for change on the island.
Also, why are they called "The Easy Crew"? They're always working hard - "The Exploited Crew", more like!
Finally, some people "cheese" doesn't refer to "cheese", but this says more about the commenters than Rastamouse.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2013 12:57 PM GMT

Plays One: "Love and Money" , "Osama the Hero" , "Debris" , "After the End" (Oberon Modern Playwrights)
by Dennis Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard work but rewarding, 22 May 2012
I've just finished the first two (aren't plays a nice quick read?) but I need a rest now.
Very clever creations of complete worlds, and a striking non-natural style.
Great dialogue that jumps & burns like real speaking.
I do think he's got a few issues about Fathers, though. And men in general.
I'm hoping the third play will be a sunny comedy about a couple wondering whether to share a desert, or go mad and have two!

Guardian Crosswords: Quick One (Guardian Newspapers Ltd)
Guardian Crosswords: Quick One (Guardian Newspapers Ltd)
by Hugh Stephenson

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT From The Guardian, 6 Feb. 2012
Why these are "The Guardian" crosswords when they're NOT out of the Guardian.
I gace two at Xmas & both recipients found them a lot harder & not as clever/fun as the Guardian Quick.
The Guardian's always quick to point out other companies' sharp practises but they seem to think this is OK?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8