Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Black Books - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dylan Moran
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent British (Irish?) humour, 12 May 2009
This is possibly one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Totally politically incorrect, anti-social comedy at it's best! It compares well with Fawlty Towers in my estimation, and proves that humour does not have to be formulaic to be successful. Haven't we all felt like Bernard when trying to complete a tax questionnaire? Bernard chasing customers out of his bookshop with a broom and licking a frozen ice-lolly bottle of wine during a heatwave are just two of the classic scenes that stick in my head.

Series one and two are hilarious, but by series three it becomes apparent that the writers were getting a bit short of fresh ideas as the humour doesn't flow so fast and furiously, but there are still some good moments. Having said that, it is still most excellent value for money and knocks spots off other contemporary British shows masquerading as comedy. Buy this one, you won't regret it!

The League of Gentlemen - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1999]
The League of Gentlemen - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Mark Gatiss

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably the least funny "comedy" series I have ever watched!, 9 May 2009
This is probably the most abysmally unfunny "comedy" series I have ever had the misfortune to have purchased. Totally predictable gags played by very ugly drag artists and with awful canned laughter to let you know when something is supposed to be amusing. Do yourself a favour and avoid this dreck like the plague! Rather buy really funny British comedy like Black Books or Green Wing, or Fawlty Towers if you haven't already got it. I have only watched the first two programs and can't decide whether to toss it out or give it away (a bit embarassing for other people to know you have even tried to watch this rubbish!)
Comment Comments (27) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2016 5:30 PM BST

Ode To John Law
Ode To John Law

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the vinyl, 6 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Ode To John Law (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Stone the Crows album (I have Ode to John Law, Teenage Licks and Ontinuous Performance on vinyl), with Danger Zone my all-time favourite by this group. My vinyl pressing is the German Polydor version. After ordering the (Repertoire) CD, I was quite eager to hear a crystal clear rendition of this album. However, I have been quite disappointed in the sound quality of the CD. Treble notes on some of the songs are so muted that you have to turn it up very loud to hear them at all, especially in the beginning of Ode to John Law, thereafter your ears are pounded when the song starts in earnest.
Another problem I have is with the change in the version of Danger Zone; the CD version is slightly more up tempo and less soulful (in my opinion) than the "original" vinyl version. Perhaps this reflects a mastering of the tapes in different countries, ie. perhaps a US release versus a European release.
Ontinuous Performance, also by Repertoire, on the other hand, remains absolutely true to the vinyl (that I own).
I wonder if any other listeners have noticed this - I have now ordered the River version of Ode to John Law to see how that sounds. This is not intended as a criticism of Repertoire records; I am sure their CD is true to the original, just not the original I own!

I have since received the River version and found it identical to the Repertoire...