Profile for Mr. J. MCCAFFERTY > Reviews

Mr. J. MCCAFFERTY

Yamaha P95S Digital Portable Piano
Yamaha P95S Digital Portable Piano

5.0 out of 5 stars A very professional model, 22 Nov. 2010
Prior to buying this item, I'd been playing with standard keyboards. After deciding to take graded exams, I realised these keyboards did not provide the required key sensitivity or weight. After browsing a few electronic piano sites, it became clear that this model was one of the top sellers.

This piano does not come with a stand (the picture illustrates this, and there is an alternative model number with stand included), though a pedal is included.

The keys are "Yamaha graded" for weight. The feel I think is very similar to a piano, and covers the full octave range you'd expect from a traditional model. Although there are a limited range of tones available, the choir, strings and vibratophone emulations are impressive. The Grand Piano sound is excellent.

No complaints thus far.

Modern Cryptanalysis: Techniques for Advanced Code Breaking
Modern Cryptanalysis: Techniques for Advanced Code Breaking
by Christopher Swenson

4.0 out of 5 stars An informative and useful guide to code breaking, 22 Nov. 2010
This book covers cipher analysis in depth, starting with simple alphabet codes to more complicated seeded algorithms. I used this as my main source of reference in a recent internet security challenge and the concepts described came up on a few occasions.

Great for the generally interested, hobbyists and security professionals alike.

Acer Aspire 5734Z 15.6-inch HD LCD Laptop, Intel Pentium T4500, 4GB, 500GB, DVD,Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great all in one, 22 Nov. 2010
I recently had to buy a replacement for my old laptop and I didn't want to buy a top of the range model. The Aspire had a reasonable spec and price (the 4gb of ram and 500 gig harddisk was particularly attractive).

The performance has been excellent. I'm a developer by trade, and have several large development tools installed. There is very little noticeable slowdown between apps, even when running virtual linux machines in the background.
The hard disk is also large enough to satisfy these requirements.

The screen is large and clear. It's shiny, but this doesn't interfere with the visibility.

The Intel mobile graphics card is reasonable. While not being able to contend with intensive 3D gaming, it can deal with the top titles from 2 or 3 years ago.

My only gripes are:
1) The sound isn't great (a single speaker with little definition or volume).
2) The s and k keys on the keyboard pop out on occasion (though this may be a defect with my unit).

The Black Halo
The Black Halo
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Progressive Metal Albums Ever...., 22 Jun. 2006
This review is from: The Black Halo (Audio CD)
I think the other reviewers have pretty much summed up the technical aspects of this album.

I bought this album when it came out, and it blew me away. I listened to it today after the first time and ages and it still hits the mark. The distortion levels, vocals, orchestration and dynamics are unbelievable. If you're tired of progressive metal bands not achieving their potential, or just looking for something new (and metaltastic) then I recommend giving this a whirl.

Has Been
Has Been
Offered by Smaller World Future

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 18 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I was looking forward to hearing this album. I wanted to play it to my friends and laugh "at" the actor turned singer wannabee. And to a certain extent I did. The sheer pretentiousness of it all. The knowledge that anyone with half a brain (singing voice not necessarily required) could have recorded this album. But I doubt there are few people who could do it like Will.
After five minutes of sniggering and pouring ridicule at the stereo I found myself holding my breath, waiting for the next slab of absolute cheese. As the Amazon Review says, there's a fine line between Genius and Idiocy, and I've ended up reassessing which side of the line Mr Shatner falls on.
I think part of it is the genuine honesty with which he attacks each song. He doesn't try to warble along, but instead recites the lines like poetry. After two or three tracks the style ceases to sound ridiculous and becomes oddly captivating.
My favourites have to be "You'll Have Time" and "I Can't Get Behind That", the former being a reminder that we'll all be eventually pushing up the daisies, the latter an ode to pet hates and rebellion against modern convention. "I am who I am and I don't care" being a rough stab at WM's motto.
The only low point in the album for me was the song about him discovering his wife's body. I'm sure he could argue that this was a deep personal experience for him, but I can't help but think it was still a little in poor taste.
So when would be the best time to play this album? If you've come home from work, had a bad day, and think everyone takes life too seriously then throw this on. I think it puts a lot of the stupid stuff in perspective and reminds you why you chase the important things.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, 19 Feb. 2002
when I heard DT were releasing a double album with 6 songs, I was both excited and wary. If they could repeat producing an opus such as "A Change of Seasons" then they won't have done too badly in my book.
The Glass Prison kicks in with typical DT precision, power chords ripping through the stereo speakers. Not for the first time I was left agog wondering how Mike Portnoy can have 4 seemingly independent limbs.
The Great Debate is probably one of the only Dream Theater Tracks (apart from probably Season) where I can completely lose 13 minutes of life. It really is that immersive.
The rest of the album... ho hum. 6DoiT shows a lot of musical maturity. You can feel the emotion in the music more than in previous albums. Its a shame its sooo gloomy.
The songs Blind Faith and Misunderstood are starting to grow (as most DT stuff inevitably does) but I still feel a little annoyed that DT didnt chose a bit more of an upbeat approach.
I ain't talking acoustic guitars and kum bye yah,
but I would have preferred more aggression and less gloom.

Event Horizon (1997) [DVD]
Event Horizon (1997) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Fishburne
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch psychological horror, 2 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Event Horizon (1997) [DVD] (DVD)
Tired of seeing Scream/Nightmare on Elm Street Films and being disgusted rather than scared? This is probably one of the only films where I have genuinely been on the edge of my seat. It is refreshing to see filmmakers not falling over themselves to explain every aspect of the plot and leaving the audience to their imagination.

Dust
Dust

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinding, 15 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Dust (Audio CD)
Having bought this album on the basis of a review in a magazine, I wasn't confident that I would like this album. Being from a Heavy Metal background I wasn't expecting much, but from the moment I pressed play I was hooked. The sheer musicianship from start to finish is just blinding. If you want to hear how rock/metal music should be played then this is an essential purchase.