Profile for Richardah > Reviews

Richardah

The Quantum Age: How the Physics of the Very Small has Transformed Our Lives
The Quantum Age: How the Physics of the Very Small has Transformed Our Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward but full of serious interest, 31 Aug 2014
This book started from the basics, and I was not sure how much I would get out of it, having picked up a fair amount in my scientific career. It was presented in as straightforward a way as possible for such a complicated subject, but still went on to cover many things that I had not previously come across, as well as the latest developments.

Bosch PSB 18 LI-2 Cordless 18 Volt Hammer Drill, Baretool (no Battery or Charger)
Offered by holywell tools

4.0 out of 5 stars powerful and effective, 13 April 2014
This is a Good drill. Only snag is the chuck needing a lot of force to prevent the drill coming loose.

Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum
Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum
Offered by Fresco Coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to make a single cup of coffee, 10 Jan 2014
You can buy all sorts of expensive and complicated ways to make a cup of copy.

In my view this is not just the simplest and cheapest, but also the most delicious.

Bach: Lutheran Masses [The Sixteen, Harry Christophers] [Coro: COR16115]
Bach: Lutheran Masses [The Sixteen, Harry Christophers] [Coro: COR16115]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful performance of seldom heard works, 1 Jan 2014
Bach is my favourite composer, but I had never herad these superb works before. The performance is exemplary, as you would expect from the Sixteen.

Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts: A Stress-Free Journey to Original Design
Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts: A Stress-Free Journey to Original Design

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite interesting but very little new information, 1 Jan 2014
As I read through this book I felt that it was a good list of ways to make the quilts, but at the end of the day, these are the sort of ideas that would be familiar to those used to working creatively.

It was well illustrated and written.

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Early and Late Works: World Premiere Recordings (Folk Songs of the Four Seasons - Suite / Bucolic Suite etc)
Offered by Vocalion/Dutton Epoch Direct (Crazygreen8)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great opportunity to hear some fine music, 12 Aug 2012
This is a recording of previously `unknown' works by Vaughan Williams. It should appeal to many listeners, and not just RVW enthusiasts.
When I first read about it in the magazine of the RVW Society, I was a little sceptical, as in the past I have often found that posthumous discoveries are disappointing. There are no disappointments here.
The disc starts with `Folk Songs of the Four Seasons' (1949). This is a piece in Norfolk Rhapsody territory, and should please lovers of those works.
The `Bucolic Suite' dates from 1901, and has the style of early VW. It is well worth while getting to know.
The `Dark Pastoral for Cello and Orchestra' is effectively the slow movement from an abandoned cello concerto. It was written during the Second World War, and perhaps its air of sadness betrays its wartime origins. It is a fine work that I shall be returning to again and again.
The final work is the `Serenade in A Minor'. Composed in 1898 it's the earliest work here, and is completely different to the well-known `Serenade to Music'. This is another piece well worth getting to know.
The performances do justice to the works, and everyone connected with the project should be congratulated.
I have thoroughly enjoyed this CD , and recommend it thoroughly.

The Englishman and Other Short Stories
The Englishman and Other Short Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished first book, 11 Nov 2011
The stories in this book show a great variety of style and subject. Some of the very short ones seem a little inconsequential, but they are always intriguing and leave the reader with a wry smile. The longer stories are intriguing and involving. Recommended.

Falcon De Luxe - Cottages Collection - Unexpected Snowfall 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle

1.0 out of 5 stars Drab and difficult, 11 Jan 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
The actual puzzle is all in very muted colours (not nearly as bright as the onscreen illustration).

There is very little detail in the image.

Overall, this makes the puzzle both difficult and boring.

Avid Sibelius First (PC/Mac)
Avid Sibelius First (PC/Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't paste individual voices, 11 Jan 2011
This is a very good piece of software. There is a lot to learn in order to start making the most of it, but it's well worth while.

Just a word of warning - you can't paste an individual voice. I wanted to reduce a 2-part piano piece to make a guitar solo on a single staff. Unfortunately, this version does not allow you to paste one part without rubbing out the other, so you have to transfer the part individually.

It's not such a disaster, as further reorganisation would be needed anyway, but it's worth knowing that this is another limitation.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 (PC DVD)
Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Customer Hostility, 26 Oct 2010
I created a slide show with sound track using the program. That worked pretty well.

Then I wanted to burn it to DVD, and it went on to open the associated Movie Factory 10 program. This insisted on adding title music that I did not want, and even worse, it overwrote my sound track.

There is no email help available, so I looked at the Corel-run user groups. It seems that Corel have introduced Movie Factory 7 SE as a substitute download. I looked, and found that it was indeed there, but not integrated.

I thought this would be worth getting some help from the user group, so tried to register. I went through the process, and the onscreen message said that I was now a member and would receive a confirmation email.

This has not arrived, and nor is it in my spam trap.

I tried to re-register, but it would not let me,as I had already registered with my email (so no typo).

I thought I would just try logging in anyway. But it said that I could not do so without the email confirmation, and in case of problems to contact the board administrator.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do so. I have even checked the user group, and it seems that there is no way to contact the board administrator.

I conclude that although the program itself works well, the DVD authoring is poor - AND THE SUPPORT IS RUBBISH. You can't even get into the user group.

Incidentally, I got round my problem by saving as an MPEG and using an entirely different program to author the DVD.

I feel sure that there is a way to fix this, but I was in a hurry, and with nonexistent support and being blocked from the user group I was stuck.