Profile for Yaya > Reviews

Yaya

Filofax Personal Domino Organiser - Ultra Violet
Filofax Personal Domino Organiser - Ultra Violet

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain impulse buy, 25 Feb. 2014
Spacious and cute. Got it for a bargain of £6 so bought it on sight! It now retails at £24 pounds so I obviously love mine even more!

Lenovo G500S 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Intregrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes getting used to but is very fast and efficient, 19 Oct. 2013
I hadn't initially thought much of the laptop, since I needed it for uni assignments more than anything else, but having used it the past few weeks, it's grown on me and won me over.

The laptop has a good build quality, and is surprisingly light, considering it's 15.6 inches. The keyboard is light and doesn't require too much effort or force, and has a nice 'clicking' sound. On the keyboard, the F1 etc buttons are made the secondary function so you have to press the 'Fn' key to access F1, F2 et al. What you can do instead, is adjust volume, brightness, airplane mode etc with one press using the top buttons, which makes it easier if your eyes are straining or you need a quick mute.

In-built bluetooth functionality is good, though it takes a bit of getting used to as the window doesn't pop open straight away. It also has an SD card reader which is brilliant for myself.

There is also an option to back-up the entire system, either on the laptop or externally. I have done it one externally but keep forgetting to do it regularly, something which I would recommend especially if you're a heavy user of Word like I am.

The battery life is good: I can use it for about two (maybe three) hours before it needs charging again.

Windows 8 is easy to use, and I've quickly picked up a few tricks to move through the screens. If you despise the start screen, you can easily rectify it by putting all your icons on the desktop, though it makes the desktop incredibly cluttered and messy.

My only gripe about the laptop is that it can run a little hot around the mouse pad sometimes, but that's to be expected.

Overall, I think for the price and the specs, it's a worthwhile investment.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 11:18 AM BST

The Periodic Table (Abacus Books)
The Periodic Table (Abacus Books)
by Primo Levi

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the title (or first chapter) put you off, 7 Jun. 2013
Levi is a slow burning reader, much like many of the compounds and elements he describes in his short novel. His series of vignettes about life before, during and after the Holocaust of WW2 is written very beautifully, with a deep sense of nostalgia and longing (though longing for what, I can never decide).

Levi is an incredibly talented chemist and writer, and I describe him as a chemist first and foremost because his role as a chemist is much more important to me in the novel than his role as the writer. In the same way that Bazarov in Turgenev's "Fathers and Sons" inspects and analyses the human condition through his role as a doctor, so too does Levi inspect humanity (or the lack of it) as a chemist. It's amazingly beautiful and descriptive, sometimes as realistic and detailed as an oil painting.

My only gripes is that the occasional vignette is almost too slow and boring, perhaps like a photograph that aged badly and has become muddy and unclear. Other than that, the novel as a whole is spectacular and deserves a read.

If On A Winter's Night A Traveller (Vintage Classics)
If On A Winter's Night A Traveller (Vintage Classics)
by Italo Calvino

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly engaging and thought-provoking, 7 Jun. 2013
Italo Calvino is one of those writers who gently tugs you through the book like the soft smell of a delicious meal wafting through the house, or a gentle tug of a summer breeze that makes you anticipate summer even more. And I don't even like summer.

The book is for all readers: avid readers; occasional readers; lazy readers; slow readers - whatever type of reader you are, it's for you. The thing I like the most about this novel is that it plays with the perceptions of books, of readers and of narrative (especially narrative). You are, throughout this novel, both the observer and the observed: you are the reading yourself as a character and as a reader. That's what makes this book fascinating and so engaging, the fact that it is so different and so novel (pardon the pun) in it's conception.

It's a brilliant book and I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

2.0 out of 5 stars It's missing something, 7 Jun. 2013
It's nice. That's all I can think. Nice as in blah, as in I could have not read it and it would be the same. I'm not sure what it is about the book that just switches me off but I just find it incredibly vapid and shallow. I couldn't invest at all in the characters at all and found them to be incredibly boring. Don't purchase it; if you want to read it just get it from the library and then slowly purge it from your mind once you've made the mistake of reading it.

SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card only
SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card only

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 7 Jun. 2013
It does the job, nothing else to add really. I use it for my phone and I've had it almost for a year and it's still not even half-way full. Would recommend. :)

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the brightest nor the best, but acceptable..., 30 Nov. 2009
Putting them up against a wall close to the window or a light source will help them to glow completely, and they are visible for a few hours after you switch off the light (provided you kept the light on for some time). The down sides are that the tack that comes with it dries up very quickly causing the stars to fall off with a gentle nudge, so you'll have to replace them. I used pink tack to put the fallen ones back up and you can see a dark shadow from it. Also, the tack that comes with it does remove pain, no matter what the packaging says, so be prepared to repaint or have the stars forever. :)