Profile for Gerry P > Reviews

Content by Gerry P

Gerry P

Page: 1 | 2
Ice Cream advertsing Feather/Swooper flag including 6m Telescopic Pole. *FREE POST*
Offered by The Flagman

4.0 out of 5 stars adequate if not too breezy, 29 Jun 2014
A good design and it feels relatively sturdy. Watch out though... if you pull the poles too securely to ensure they stay erect, there is a danger that you can split or crack the larger diameter poles at the point where they stop expanding thus weakening it.
(I did this, i think, as I discovered a crack at the last 20mm of the largest pole.) A bit of gorilla glue and gaffer tape sorted it before the crack lengthened.
The pole takes the flag well and the text on the flag is clearly displayed but gusty winds can bend it quite severely. It did say somewhere on the pole that 20mph winds were the maximum tolerance it can take.That said, a 20mph wind my part of Scotland is a mere breeze but perfect on a calmish summer's day and watch out for rogue gusts!!

Tropiclean Fresh Breath Water Additive, 473 ml
Tropiclean Fresh Breath Water Additive, 473 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 21 May 2014
Our two wee Bichon frises have stinky breaths and following the directions, this stuff works after a few days.
I have since ordered another bottle as I assume that it will only keep doggybreath away as long as you keep using it.

Vivo Electric Teppanyaki Large Table Top Grill Griddle BBQ Barbecue Camping 8 Spatulas 2000 Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 21 May 2014
excellent for pancakes but it does heat up high and then drop to the set temperature so wait 5 minutes or so to let it stabilise.
It is a bit flimsy and Chinesey if you know what I mean but that is reflected in the low price.
Another thing, the Teflon coating is so thin so watch out and don't be tempted to use metal tools. I stupidly used a thin metal spatula
to turn a pancake because the wooden ones supplied are a bit useless and although I was very very careful, it left a few scores through to the base but didn't affect the performance. Get a silicone flipper from the outset and all will be well.

Yamaha YAS101bl SoundBar System with Built-In Subwoofer - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Crampton And Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better, 14 Jan 2014
The reviews I had read before deciding to buy convinced me that this was what I was looking for.
It arrived well packaged and once out of the box , it appeared well made and fairly weighty. I was confident that the woofers underneath and the front speakers would do the job.
It did not blow me a way though, the bass has to be on full for any effect and increasing the volume did not really make the sound quality better or clearer, only louder. I have used Yamaha speakers in the past and I always found them to be lifeless and weedy but thought that things maybe had moved on in the realms of TV fidelity. I used to play films or music concerts through my hi fi and maybe expected too much from the small drivers on this unit. I have it connected optically through my Sky plus box and it short, it only appears to be an amplifier with thin sounding speakers. If you have a good hi fi set up and used to good quality sound then I suspect you may find this unit disappointing.

Canon PIXMA iP7250 Colour Inkjet Printer
Canon PIXMA iP7250 Colour Inkjet Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good printer but takes its time at first print of the day, 23 Oct 2013
I bought this is a standby printer for when the main one (Epson photo PX10W) unexpectedly runs out of ink or breaks down. The Canon prints great natural images on glossy or brochure paper (even in the default setting and rarely needing to select the best quality option. ) and once it gets going, it can rapidly fire out black printed matter in no time. Very few people can afford to replace the ink with the genuine manufacturers inks and I am no exception. It took compatible inks easily with no warnings or glitches, just make sure they are chipped. The ink replacement set-up is great and more printer manufacturers should take note:
All of the Epson and Lexmark printers I have owned always stopped production as soon as any colour of ink cartridge ran out - but the Canon lets you keep going - great if you mainly use black for documents, invoices etc. Brilliant idea!
As far as the wireless connection goes, my Epson set up itself pretty much in seconds but the Canon... well I struggled and gave up eventually resorting to the USB cable instead.
Another plus about the Canon is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a mid -level printer with a C.D tray.
I did hunt for the CD tray for a while but as most people do,I did not really pay attention to the paperwork that comes with it ( it's a printer for god's sake, who needs installation instructions??)and found the tray clipped in underneath the main paper tray. I use Printable white satin C.Ds and they reproduced well in all colours.
As a faithful Epson fan, I could be swayed to follow Canon if this printer lives as long as my old Epsons did and does not have the 'planned obsolescence' built in to it as many printers(Epson in particular) of this price do.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2013 1:57 PM GMT

Bosch AHS 50-16 Electric Hedgecutter (50 cm Blade, 16 mm Tooth Capacity)
Bosch AHS 50-16 Electric Hedgecutter (50 cm Blade, 16 mm Tooth Capacity)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 30 Oct 2012
This will handle most domestic hedges with no bother If you are just tidying or trimming.If like me you are trying to tame an out of control triffid, the occasional thicker shaft around the base of the hedge of around 15-20mm presented problems however as it just knawed away and did not cut cleanly, no real hardship though as I just sawed these.
Good cable length and sturdy feel and the end result was fast to achieve and what I was looking for.The longest part of the job was clearing the offcuts!

Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack
Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for Squeexebox Touch owners, 29 Oct 2012
I had noticed that several reviewers report that these units work great with tv and game appliances and it seems that these units will improve any connection to a device with ethernet inputs. I had problems with the Squeezebox Touch( see my earlier reviews if you are not familiar with it ) when connecting via wireless signal from my bt homehub. It was patchy and poor often, causing the Squeezebox Touch to freeze or search for the server again and again.
As long visible cabling for an ethernet connection was not an option, wireless was my only choice.
Then I got these! Instant hookup, all lights lit and ready, swapped the Squeezebox Touch to recieve on ethernet and away it went!
Absolutely brilliant,no more dropouts and the Squeezebox Touch has not frozen or crashed once. I also noticed that I am getting 100Mbps transfer rate, not the 85Mbps claimed which is a bonus. I am running one unit from a 4 gang trailer socket at the homehub end with no problems.

Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Offered by Empire Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 23 Aug 2012
I had been researching which media player to buy for some weeks and had considered the Brennan,Cambridge Audio and Cocktail Audio players with cd burning in built.
Decided to go for an independent HHD (Buffalo 1tb) see review on amazon.
My reason being that the SBT would probably never fail (within a reasonable timescale anyway)having no mechanical parts as such but the HDD would eventually go. At £70 to replace it is cheap and only needed loading with cds again.
If I had bought the other competitors with cd drives inbuilt then in the event of failure the replacement cost is far higher.
Anyway, got the SBT and was inpressed with the packaging, the bulid quality and the foolproof setup. It found my wireless network in no time and all I needed was the network password. Set up the database, connected the Buffalo and away I went.
Brilliant and it appears to be even faster after a day or two connected.
I realise that I didn't have to load the database if playing from an external HDD but I did anyway.I also had concerns about the DACS inside the SBT and was almost going to get one just to run with the setup as I thought that this box could not possibly be as good as a lossless cd but I was wrong, very wrong. I burned all my cds (400 plus in lossless)and I could not hear any difference and I have a top end separates system.
Amazing thing and I am a 54 year old dyed in the wool musical pedantic.

Buffalo HD-LB1.0TU2-EU 1TB DriveStation USB 2.0 3.5 Inch External Hard Drive
Buffalo HD-LB1.0TU2-EU 1TB DriveStation USB 2.0 3.5 Inch External Hard Drive
Offered by Entertainment Hub Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 23 Aug 2012
Bought this to store all my cds in lossless to play my squeezebox touch through.
It loaded quickly from my WD hdd where the cds were stored (about 3 hours for 600 lossless albums). Hooked up to the SBT and after 40 mins or so, the database for the SBT was loaded then the SBT scanned the and the files were playing fine.It runs very, very quietly and relatively cool also.
Great little box!

An Introduction to 10cc: Good News
An Introduction to 10cc: Good News
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgot how good these guys were!, 22 Aug 2012
Brilliant intro to the band if you have never heard them, very versatile, tackling many genres of music in their own way. fine musicianship and songwriting and in my opinion they need more credit than they ever got. A couple of tracks were obviously taken from either a vinyl album or a bad mastering tape transport as a definite 'woozieness' can be heard, like a fluctuation of pitch like a warped record but that is the price you pay for recoring in analogue!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2012 8:47 PM GMT