Profile for Rizzi Marcello > Reviews

Content by Rizzi Marcello

Rizzi Marcello "Ciddu" (Genova, Italy)

Lonely Planet Philippines (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Philippines (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Philippines country guide - good but not outstanding, 22 Feb 2013
I bought this book as soon as the new edition was released, and used it when travelling in the philippines during Aug-Sept 2012 just a couple of months later.
I have to say that it is the usual LP Guide, covering a lot of issues and places, with detailed and correct infos about many topics.
I found that - as usual - it was really helpful travelling alone (backpacjking, with no previous reservations) through many places; in fact I also had the Roughwear guide, but decided to take with me only the LP, and I wasn't disappointed.
Nonetheless I found out that while there's plenty of info about the places covered in the guide, there are too many places not even mentioned in the book - Philippines are over 7000 islands, and they would well deserve a double sized book. This was a serious issue about the book.
The second thing I noticed is about the prices : it's the new edition, just a few months old, so it was supposed to be up-to-date, but the prices of food and lodging were always higher than the ones quoted in the book. With all the discounts of the low monsoon season I could hardly reach the high season price of the guide.
And then, the new edition is printed on filmsy paper, and the quality of the colour pics lower than in the previous edition.
So the bottom line is: a good guide, helpful and necessary for independent travellers, but not perfect.

Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery For Panasonic CGR-S006
Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery For Panasonic CGR-S006

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, but doesn't fit perfectly - edited, 8 May 2010
I bought this battery for a Panasonic FZ38, because Duracell guarantees that it is a perfect replacement for the original Panasonic CGR-S006 battery (which is way too expensive).
I got it yesterday, so I still have to check how long it lasts, but so far I noticed that it doesn't fit perfectly in the camera. It seems to be just slightly taller than the original, so the spring holder of the battery compartment doesn't close, and I have to force it in position to close it.
It is just a little difference, maybe a small millimeter's fraction, but since I bought this (which is maybe the most expensive of all the non-Panasonic replacements) just to get a "perfect" replacement as declared by Duracell, I was slightly disappointed.
Anyway once fitted in the camera the battery works without problems, and I expect it will give the same performance as the original.. I'll keep testing it.

EDIT: after using it regularly for one month, alternating it with the original Panasonic CGR-S006, i have to point out that NOW the battery fits in the camera without problems - I don't know why - and that it lasts just slightly less than the original.
Therefore I upgrade the review from 3 to 4 star.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 12:39 PM BST

Lowepro Apex 100AW Shoulder Bag For Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Arctic Blue
Lowepro Apex 100AW Shoulder Bag For Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Arctic Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good - and tight - for panasonic FZ38, 8 May 2010
I bought this bag for a Panasonic DMC-FZ38, and I'm very happy with it.
Since I was looking for a small belt pack, something to wear all day while trekking to have the camera handy for any quick shot, this bag is exactly what I need: It fits very tightly the camera (without sunshade) plus a spare battery and a couple of extra memory cards, and nothing else. All the other stuff will have go in the backpack.
If you want to put in the bag all the accessories, like battery charger, connection cables and lens shade, you should definitely look for something bigger.
It seems very well made and quite protective, too, so I rate it as a very good buy for the price.

Trekking in the Everest Region (Trailblazer)
Trekking in the Everest Region (Trailblazer)
by Jamie McGuinness

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for independent trekkers, 19 Mar 2010
In September 2009 I've been to Gokyo, Base Camp - Kalapattar and Chhukung, and since I was trekking alone, without guide or porter, I had the chance to check out most of the book. I found out that the directions are spot-on, and the maps almost dumb proof: the book is as good as a real guide, or even better.

The general info and Kathmandu chapters are good, but may be found on other guidebooks as well. The real highlights are the detailed walking routes and maps for the Khumbu area above Lukla. Everything was right there as detailed in the book, and following the indications I had a safe and easy trek.

If you go for independent trekking, either camping or lodge/teahouse, this book is really priceless: It's a great help planning your trek, and it's all what you need to go trekking on your own - in Kathmandu you just can get a bigger map of the Khumbu area and you're ready to go.

You may not need the book if you hire a guide: a good one will lead you on the right trail - which is impossible to miss, anyway - and tell you all what you need to know, but it is still helpful to know exactly where you are, and your options for an afternoon walk or a different viewpoint here and there, plus many other info and data about everything around there.

So, the bottom line is: find a place for this book in your backpack!