Profile for D READ > Reviews

Content by D READ

D READ "A Welsh Bloke In England" (Stourport On Severn,UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Cooking With Pagans
Cooking With Pagans

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaking Great, 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Cooking With Pagans (Audio CD)
It's been a while since Freak Kitchen last outing, and Cooking With Pages doesn't disappoint.

This see's the band surve up there trade mark sound, with excellent lyrics. The production is great, and you can tell from the first listen, that the mix has been slaved over, as guitars move from ear to ear on headphones.

Yet another classic, lads well done!

The Last Ship
The Last Ship
Offered by davehopetrading

5.0 out of 5 stars Back On Track!, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
Having watched Sting perform a small selection of songs from The Last Ship on the "Jools Holland" show, I just knew we where in for something special.
For years "The Soul Cages" has been may favourite Sting Album, the only one to move me emotionally. Amazing, that The Last Ship manages to do the same, although I would have to say The Last Ship does also contain humour.
The production, lyric's are superb.The folk infulance is a welcome breath of fresh air
Do yourself favour, if you enjoyed the Soul Cages, we will simply love this CD. I must point out, it's well worth getting the 20 track Amazon Version, and the additional tracks, are all great, and are not fillers.

Welcome back Sting, it may have taken 10 years, but I have to say...this is up with your best work to date.
Go Purchase!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 11:57 PM BST

The Jerk [Blu-ray] [1979] [Region Free]
The Jerk [Blu-ray] [1979] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Steve Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 22 Aug 2013
No doubt, you may have already seen Steve Martin's classic movie, it's his best work. In short if you enjoy, silly humor eg "Zohan" you should enjoy this.My purchase was based on the Blu Ray.

In terms of picture quality, this is the best I have ever seen the film, everything is sharper, and the colours are more vivid. Yes, you get grain, but take my word for it, you will be happy with the picture detail.

Without a doubt, one of the best comedy films EVER made!

The Impossible [Blu-ray] [2013]
The Impossible [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Naomi Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Moving, 21 July 2013
I found The Impossible to be a superb movie, yes indeed it made me cry.
I find it hard, after reading other reviews, that no one could not be touched by such a moving story.
Sure, it focuses on one family alone, but I believe this is done,so you can capture some of the gravity of how bad things where.
Such was the devastation of the tsunami, how could anyone possibly capture the thousands of lives lost, yes, it may be a bit Hollywood at times, but I believe if you come away from a movie, thinking that how lucky you are not go through such pain, it's has to be good.

I highly recommend The Impossible, and you may even find the impact stronger, if you have children of your own.

Cloud Atlas [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [Region Free]
Cloud Atlas [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Masterpiece, 21 July 2013
This really is a film that has split reviews. I have to say, I am glad I followed my heart in regards to purchasing is movie. I found it a moving film, that doesn't really follow any rules.
Great acting, it will make you laugh and cry,and make you think about humanity,it's has plenty of depth, for extra viewing.
This will been seen in years to come, as a classic.
Don't expect Star Wars, think Blade Runner meets Magnolia.

So if you enjoy a film that will make you think, then look no further..Superb!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2013 12:31 AM BST

Traveller
Traveller
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars On Top Of His Game, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Traveller (Audio CD)
If you thought that Jorn was about to fade away, think again! This is a superb album from Jorn, the whole pace of Traveller seems better, gone are the grunge metal plodding rhythms, we now have more melody and energy, instead of the odd track ....Jorn you are the Metal King!
I get the impression, that Jorn must read his online reviews? As he seems to deliver, exactly what his fans like...Well done Jorn, a classic, how on earth are you going to top this album?

Jesus Christ Superstar [Blu-ray] [1973]
Jesus Christ Superstar [Blu-ray] [1973]
Dvd ~ Ted Neely

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 23 May 2013
With over 70 reviews on Amazon, I guess you won't need me to tell you about the story of JCS!
I have been waiting years from the 1973 Film version to come to Blu Ray. Without a doubt this is the best version, with some truly amazing vocal performances.
So is it an a improvement over DVD, a simply answer is yes, colours are more natural, and everything is just that bit sharper. The downside, is the film grain, if you are expecting a modern High Quality transfer, you will be disappointed. Personally it reminds me of hearing hiss on a good HI-FI system from a analogue master tape, it was always there, but as the format improves, so do the floors of lesser standards

I have only given it 4 stars, as I'm sure this classic could have been cleaned up a bit, but as it stands, this is as good as it gets. It's the best of the many version JCS out there. My all time favourite musical, that has to be the greatest story told (And I'm not into any form of religion)

Maragold [Explicit]
Maragold [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Wait!, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Maragold [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I feel I must simply echo other reviews, this is a great CD from Greg Howe's Band Maragold. If they get lucky, this CD could be massive, it's rock, it's commericial and very current sounding.

The biggest thing for myself, is you believe the words sung. Well done all...Excellent!

Small Town Pistols
Small Town Pistols

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all New Country Fans, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Small Town Pistols (Audio CD)
How do you start a review, with a new band, that frankly has quite a bit of history under it's belt? .....In a brief description, The Small Town Pistols are brother and sister from what was known as "The Wilkinsons", this Canadian Country band had quite a bit of success in the US during the late 90's and are still famous in Canada and in Country music circles. The Wilkinsons were made up of Amanda,Tyler and Dad Steve.

Ok...Fast forward to the present 2013,Amanda and Tyler are now back, Dad Steve is a busy producer and song writer, and although he has written some songs on this CD, has decided to let Amanda and Tyler to go it alone.

So this brings me to my thoughts on the CD. In short this is a superb album, it's just so well written and produced, with both Tyler and Amanda sounding excellent in the vocal department.
What is really nice to hear, that there is at times a small Rock sound to the music, all be it,with new country, and to my ears, this makes for a fresh sound.
This is where the Small Town Pistols score so highly, you come away from each song believing the words sung ....Superb, and a rare event these days!

My stand out tracks are, Colour Blind, Blame it On The Radio,Love Is Gonna Find You, Living On The Outside,Easy As Breathing and Peter Pan. To be honest there isn't any bad tracks.

You may have not heard of the Small Town Pistols or The Wilkinsons if your in the UK, but do yourself a favor, discover what has got to be one of the best New Country Acts out there, has to be one of my top albums for 2013.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bilbao Oo:Oh
Bilbao Oo:Oh

5.0 out of 5 stars What a superb CD, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bilbao Oo:Oh (Audio CD)
I really have to thank BBC Alba for introducing myself to Kepa Jukera. Bilbao is a monster CD, that will have your foot taping one moment, and then the next it will nearly moved to tears.
Kepa's playing, as well as the other musicians are amazing, if you enjoy Celtic music, this is really one knockout CD.
I know a lot of Rock Musicians would love this, as the playing is crazy at times and I believe this really is a bit of a cross over album,although I bet it was never intented to be.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4