Profile for Harry > Reviews

Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3]
Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3]
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Just skip ahead to AC 4, 8 Jan. 2014
I got AC 3 a fair few months ago, Revelations was ok but I didn't want to spend full price on this game. I think that was a good idea. Whereas Revelations was just a bit tired feeling AC 3 I found incredibly slow and full of glitches. I also did not like the plot and found colonial America a bit of a drab setting compared to the colourful glory of Renaissance Florence, Venice and best of all Rome. It was great to have games in the quite original Italian setting which actually felt well researched and presented. Despite promises made at the time of release AC3 went against this and seemed to subscribe to the Mel Gibson school of history; they did this in Revelations too with a bit of a hack job on Byzantine history. Here it's really over simplistic in its portrayal of the revolution with its predictable goodies and baddies and because of this the game lacks the atmosphere of its predecessors.

More important though is the poor gameplay and the open world. The controls are awkward and frustrating, for a long time I was dropping weapons when I meant to be selecting them and found myself constantly scrolling through inventory menus that take you out of the game. The world also gives you less opportunities for leaping across the roofs, instead you find yourself trudging through snow or quite boring misty countryside. I found the urban areas equally dead. The most fun I had in this game was the opening sequence at the Royal Opera House. Grand looking with plenty of platforms and ropes to jump about with, it made me wish Kenway never bothered going to the New World and they'd just set the game in 18th century London.

I actually stopped playing AC 3 about maybe 2 weeks after I got it, totally dis interested in the series (to be honest the Desmond bit has always been tedious). However at Christmas I was unexpectedly bought AC4 and quietly feared the worse. I'm happy to say though that AC 4 is a great game, less to do with Assassins and instead just gets straight down to riotous pirating. The setting is beautiful and terrorising the seas is great fun (as is sneaking into plantations and hunting treasure). After spending the last few days plundering and looting I came back to AC 3 today to see if it might grow on me or if I'd been too harsh. I played for about 30 minutes, remembered why I hated it and decided just to read about the (quite stupid) plot online. Don't waste your time with it.

Brutal Legend (PS3)
Brutal Legend (PS3)
Offered by Excess Gaming

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit dull..., 11 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Brutal Legend (PS3) (Video Game)
As with other negative reviews it was the Battles that ruined this game for me. To be honest though the rest of the game isn't great either. The battles as has been mentioned by others in detail are a chore to go through and really stopped me from wanting to return to the game as I got further through the story. Eventually I did just stop playing the game before finishing it. However I also found the platforming aspect quite tedious aswell,(non battle) missions were repetitive, the combat a bit dull and it was really frustrating that you can't jump. It seems a small point but it really made the game and exploration of the world (which is actually quite cool) feel very limited. The story was fine, but I didn't find it particuarly funny or engrossing.

I was bought this game by a well meaning relative who knows I'm a metal fan and obviously bought it for this reason, but a good soundtrack can't make a good game I'm afraid! This game has been selling cheap for quite a while now and I think that probably says it all.

Operation: Mindcrime: Remastered
Operation: Mindcrime: Remastered

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 11 Dec. 2009
Queensryche's masterful concept album Operation Mindcrime is without doubt the peak of the band's career and a milestone in Metal. It sounds pretensious to say this but this album really has an atmosphere to it, the story draws you into Nikkis dark world and the shadowy plans of Dr X. The short sections of dialogue and linking instrumental tracks really add to the overall atmosphere of the album. It's best to listen to all in one sitting rather than diving in and out to get the whole expereince (which i found hasn't dimmed after repeated listening)

Of course none of this would work without good songs and there's no problem there, the whole album is brilliant but if i had to pick highlights i'd go with Revolution Calling, Spreading the Disease, The Mission, The Needle Lies, Breaking the Silence and Eyes of a Stranger. The band are all excellent peformers, but special mention has to go to Geoff Tate who, in my humble opinion, is easliy one of metal's best vocalists. The lyrics aswell as telling the story offer an intelligent commentary on American society, the media, religion, corruption and about any dystopian theme you could imagine.

If you enjoy concept albums this is a MUST have, even if you are not a metal fan you may still find you like this album. Its definetly worth a listen!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2015 10:41 PM GMT

Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Confederacy!, 11 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Wrecking Ball (Audio CD)
Excuse the stupid title, couldn't help myself. I saw these guys live in summer this year supporting Dinosaur Jr, I had no idea who they were, but for me they were the highlight of night. I got the album (without the bonus tracks) very soon afterwards and it really did not disappoint. They blend the sludgy guitars and strained vocals of grunge with some more spacey lead parts and keyboards that sound like something from Pink Floyd's Wish You were Here. Amazingly though this album is very easy to get into, as both grunge and Prog can for very different reasons be inaccesible this is pretty impressive. Undoubtedly this is due to the strong sense of melody infused in the song writing throughout. Apparently they are also influenced by Southern Rock (due to being from Georgia I presume) but personally I don't hear much Lynyrd Skynyrd or Allmans Brothers in here, well maybe aside from the odd moment of Southern twang in the vocals.

Primarily though this is an Alt rock album and if you are a big fan of the early 90's Seattle bands but find the post grunge of Creed and Puddle of Mudd a bit rubbish (which it is) then I think you will find alot to enjoy here. Listen to Heavy Petting to get a flavour of their sound, it's one of the best songs on here. The bonus tracks are from their debut EP and are all great songs too.

LOCKED OUT FROM THE INSIDE CD UK LOST HOUSE 2009
LOCKED OUT FROM THE INSIDE CD UK LOST HOUSE 2009
Offered by themusicmerchant

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album, 3 Nov. 2009
I'll keep this short... this album is brilliant. As the other reviewer said if you liked the 1st album but the 2nd one put you off a bit then you should be very happy with this one. They've returned to a heavier sound, there are some crushing riffs on this cd, and bags of energy. If you're a fan of grunge bands you really can't go wrong with this, also go see them live... a brilliant experience (I've seen them twice). I just hope they get the credit they deserve for this album. And yes, ignore the NME, the fact is NBA are no longer flavour of the month and therefore trendy magazines will never give them serious consideration.

Fave tracks
Porcupine, Buy Nothing, Silence Kills

Crimson Idol (15th Anniversary edition)
Crimson Idol (15th Anniversary edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crimson Idol, 17 May 2009
WASP were never known for being a thoughtful band, more concerned with shocking middle america than writing thought provoking lyrics and great songs (although thats not to say their dumb rock isn't enjoyable). Not the best basis for writing a concept album then.

However The Crimson Idol is surprisinly good. Sure the concept is a bit unoriginal - un loved boy becomes rockstar, conquers the world, is adored by all, however his parents refuse to accept him so he kills himself - but the strength of this album lies in the fact that its simply filled with really great songs. For me there are no real standout tracks (maybe Murders in the new morgue), they are all excellent. I also have to make a special mention of the drumming which is extremely powerful and innovative throughout the entire album. Blackies vocals are also great on this, he's really putting his all into it (I think this was originally planned as solo album so that might explain why)

If you are new to WASP get this first then if you like it get The Headless Children, which despite its awful title, is a great sleaze metal album.

Ozzy Unauthorized
Ozzy Unauthorized
by Sue Crawford

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 17 May 2009
This review is from: Ozzy Unauthorized (Hardcover)
This book is far more concerned with Ozzy's celebrity than his music. I imagine its aimed at people who got to know him through the terrible reality tv rather than his work in the seminal Black Sabbath. Thankfully I didn't buy this book, it was a gift. Music fans - avoid!