Profile for Mr. J. D. Rhodes > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. D. Rhodes

Mr. J. D. Rhodes "John" (UK)

iBasso DX90 High Performance 8GB Digital Audio Player with Dual ES9018K2M DAC Design

3.0 out of 5 stars The sound is absolutely excellent but the interface is totally unusable in my experience, 18 Mar. 2015
The sound is absolutely excellent but the interface is totally unusable in my experience. I just can' get on with the screen sensitivity and I keep accidentally selecting things when I am trying to scroll. The sound quality and the price make it worthwhile in my view and I take it everywhere but I can't score it higher because the interface is shockingly bad for this day and age.

9880-117X Lithium Ion Triple Play Grooming Kit (110933777)
9880-117X Lithium Ion Triple Play Grooming Kit (110933777)
Offered by Executivez

3.0 out of 5 stars The cover on the head is like a bit of cheap packaging that falls off all ..., 18 Mar. 2015
This works well but it is very cheaply made and totally over priced - should be about £40 max. The cover on the head is like a bit of cheap packaging that falls off all the time so not great for carrying in a bag. I do use it and it is a lot better than my 15 year old Philips but I don't know how it would compare to a new Philips.

Sony XBA-H1 In Ear Headphones with Unique Hybrid Balanced Armature Driver System

4.0 out of 5 stars These are excellent and incredibly good value, 25 Sept. 2014
These are excellent and incredibly good value. I was curious about them because of the mix of driver and balanced armature. The former gives better base the latter better treble. I have iBasso DX90 and a pair of Fischer Audio DBA-02. The Fischer are dual balance armature and was interested to see how the Sony would compare. At a considerably lower price the Sony comes out well. They are warmer with more base but not excessive and they sound pretty good with classical music. The DBA-02 probably have the clearer sound but these dual BA systems can be a bit much some times. I would the Sonys are excellent value and have a nice rounded sound. Probably a bit too much base for dual BA lovers. I think the more expensive ones are going to be a bit of a gimmick: one driver and two BAs, plus a quad BA version - WTF!

Spring in Action
Spring in Action
by Craig Walls

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much waffle, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
This guy is a very irritating waffler. I wish he had put as much effort into the accuracy and completeness of detail as he has into his silly anecdotes. The information in the book is not really sufficient to actually use Spring from scratch but If you grab the code examples it provides a good enough grounding with a bit of Web hunting. Bottom line though is that the book is too wordy and the information is quite woolly in places. The section on security is particularly bad.

AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones
AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep, they're good!, 7 Dec. 2011
I was concerned that these would sound a little too sharp after reading some reviews but they are not. Totally amazing through a NuForce HDP. I don't know if they'll sound better over time but they sound great straight out of the box. The bass is amazing, plenty of it but not over-powering and not boomy like my Bose over ear headphones. Detail in the mids and highs is amazing, quite bright but not too much. I've tried Adele, Keane, Dire Straits private investigations, Vivaldi 4 seasons, and am currently working my through Holst the Planets. All my music sounds fantastic. Only thing you need to be careful of is that bad recordings sound REALLY bad - all crackle and hiss. This may be a problem if you listen to old recordings. I had to buy another copy of the planets as my original sounded terrible.

NuForce HDP Headphone Amplifier, DAC, Pre-Amplifier - Silver
NuForce HDP Headphone Amplifier, DAC, Pre-Amplifier - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 2 Dec. 2011
This is amazing. Just buy it!

I started out with the intention of buying a decent sound card for my PC and research led me to this instead. The sound is incredible from the PC through USB. I also bought an Onkyo ND-S1 for my ipod, which basically bypasses the ipod electronics (DAC and pre-amp) and uses the nuforce HDP instead via its optical digital audio connection. The nuforce information suggests plugging an ipod in via it's analogue input from the ipods 3.5mm jack output but I think this would be a waste of the nuforce HDP as you would be using the ipods DAC rather than the nuforce one. It sounds spectacular through my cheap Bose AE2 headphones and I am so impressed that I have just ordered some better headphones to see just how good the sound can get. I had completely forgotten what good hifi sounds like! If you like classical music or old recordings of jazz etc then you may have problems with your music as it is VERY unforgiving of bad recordings - all hiss and crackle.

Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon Lens to Micro 4/3 (MFT) System Camera, for Olympus PEN E-PL1, E-PL1s, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-P2, E-P3, E-M, OM-D, E-M5, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, G3, G10, GX1, GH1, GH2, GF1, GF2, GF3, GF5, Panasonic AG-AF100
Offered by Lumière-Shop Siegward Schmitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 2 Mar. 2011
This is of very good solid quality and gives excellent pictures on my old nikon AIS lenses. It's all metal with good mounts at both ends. I have a 50/1.4 and a 135/2.8. The 50/1.4 is pretty mushy at f1.4 and needs stopping down to f2/f2.8 for good image quality but at f1.4 the narrow DOF is charming and gives some 'nice' soft pictures that bring a smile to your face and take you back to film days when narrow DOf was possible. I ordered the non-G lens one but they actually sent me the more expensive G lens one by mistake. It's actually better as it has an aperture open/close slider. With the non-G one the aperture presumably just closes with the lens aperture ring. The open/close slider has a great advantage even with AIS lenses that have an aperture ring. You can set the required aperture and then open the slider to give best light/dof for focus. While still looking at the display and still composed for the shot (you've just focused) you can close the slider to deploy the aperture that will allow you to set the exposure and shoot. Being able to flick the slider without looking is important as you can't see the aperture ring. With the non-G type you would have to focus with the aperture stopped down unless you can 'feel' the aperture stops without looking. At f11/16/22 the display starts to get too dark and mushy to focus.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2015 8:51 PM BST

Battery Charger for Panasonic CGA-S005A / CGA-S005E / CGA-S005 / DMW-BCC12 Suits Lumix DMC-LX1, DMC-LX2, DMC-LX3, DMC-LX9, DMC-FX01, DMC-FX3, DMC-FX07, DMC-FX8, DMC-FX9, DMC-FX10, DMC-FX12, DMC-FX50, DMC-FX100, DMC-FX150, DMC-FX180 Digital Camera etc
Offered by abcproducts

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 23 Nov. 2009
This was so cheap I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a go". I was pleasantly surprised. Works a treat. Small and light and very useful having a car charger.

Black Hard PU Leather Case for PANASONIC LUMIX LX3, LEICA D-LUX,Canon Powershot SX210,S90 S95 Digital Camera as DMW-CLX3.
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 23 Nov. 2009
This is an excellent case for the money. Rigid build giving ample protection. It fits on my belt when hiking and gives me very quick access. The custom fit means that it is very small for the level of protection - the long snout of the LX3 would require a reasonably large case otherwise. The 'retro' look matches that of the camera. The only downside is that it catches the aspect ration button on entry/exit so you need to keep an eye your ratio. When I first put my camera in the case I thought that the recess was disastrously tight against the lens barrel but a bit of thumb massage to loosen it did the trick and now it's a good fit. You can't use the camera from within the case like the official one but that's better in my view as this is a wrist-strap camera and feels a bit ridiculous with a neck strap.