Profile for F. Morris > Reviews

Content by F. Morris

F. Morris "Fionathepharmacist" (Scotland)

Step It Up!
Step It Up!

2.0 out of 5 stars lots of smoking and swearing, 21 May 2011
This review is from: Step It Up! (Kindle Edition)
This sounded so promising - maybe my hopes were too high! The author is completely obsessed by smoking ( of no interest whatsoever to the non-smoking reader ). His judgements on people and places are based on whether or not he's allowed to smoke. Seems like way too much effort to me - it would be easier just to quit! There's very little in the way of description of some of these fantastic places he's had the chance to visit (other than whether or not he could smoke and whether anyone annoyed him , in which case he'll throw in a bit of swearing).

The book reads a bit like a teen diary , and the author , at times , is just as petulant as a teenager. We're told about virtually every meal he eats , and every dollar he spends. And he spends a lot! The trip was jaw-droppingly expensive , and I am fascinated by the fact that two people can just take off for three months and spend so much money on the way.

I got really fed up with the swearing. It's as though the author had no other vocabulary at his disposal.

In future , I'll stick to Bill Bryson and Paul Theroux.

Next Time, We're Flying Somewhere Sunny
Next Time, We're Flying Somewhere Sunny

4.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable!, 8 May 2011
I really enjoyed this. It perfectly describes the anticipation of a perfect break , and then the utter frustration when all does not go to plan , followed by the occasional moment of bliss when everything falls into place. I felt very sorry throughout for the long-suffering Steph.
I agree with one of the other reviewers that sometimes the bad language is a bit much (especially the thankfully isolated use of the c-word - unpleasant and unnecessary) , but at other times it was actually very funny , and any other word would have been inadequate.
I would have liked the book to have been a bit longer with more descriptions of people and places , which I suppose proves that I liked it a lot!

The Apothecary's Daughter
The Apothecary's Daughter

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read for pharmacists!, 18 Feb. 2011
This was one of the first books I read on my Kindle - I was drawn to it because of the title. As a community pharmacist , I am interested in the history of my profession. I was fascinated ( and unsure whether to be relieved or disappointed) to read that many of the challenges we face today in modern community pharmacy are little different to those facing an apothecary in 1800 - the occasional arrogant doctor who resents you "interfering" , financial pressure , fear of the profession's regulator ,being constantly run off your feet, that hideous gut-wrenching moment when you realise that something has gone wrong etc etc. Many of the rewards are the same too - the simple pleasure of knowing you can successfully treat a minor ailment that is driving someone crazy , the professional satisfaction derived from helping others and knowing you are contributing to society , the advantages of working as part of a multidisciplinary team etc.

I found that part of me envied the relative simplicity of a time when remedies were compounded from scratch by hand - pharmacists learn a little of this at university today , and I always found it immensely satisfying to create a cough syrup or calamine lotion or emollient cream by myself. However , I found the attitude to women in the profession (they weren't allowed!) shocking , and the power of the regulator to burn your pharmacy if you were found lacking equally so. The lack of effective treatments must have been intensely frustrating , and the stigmatisation of people afflicted with chronic and misunderstood diseases such as epilepsy is horrifying to a modern reader.

I enjoyed the quotations at the end of each chapter a lot.

I have given this book three stars because , although I enjoyed it , I think that if the pharmacy connection was removed ,for me this would have been quite simply a very bland and insipid romance story. I found the storyline revolving around the dashing young men each vying for Lilly's attention to be cliched and sickly sweet (not to mention predictable). I don't think that I would rush to read another book by the same author , although I enjoyed this one for my own reasons.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2012 11:45 PM GMT

Disneyland Paris - The Family Guide
Disneyland Paris - The Family Guide
by Juz Griffiths

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!, 8 Feb. 2008
This book is a huge disappointment. Spelling , punctuation , and grammar apparently mean nothing to the author , which makes it quite a struggle to read in places. The photographs are truly appalling , and certainly don't do the parks justice. I bought this book on the strength of the other three reviews on this page , but I can honestly say that it was a waste of money.

In my opinion , the "Brit's guide" is far more informative. It is clearly written , has decent photographs and is far better value for money. We visited Disneyland Paris on October and took the Brit's guide with us. It was very helpful. We bought "The Family Guide" as we are planning a repeat visit this year and wanted to read something different about the parks as we virtually know the Brit's Guide by heart. I wish we hadn't bothered. I can't believe this book was actually published - has no-one else noticed the author's total disregard for the basic rules of the English language which are there to make books readable?