Profile for Sandy > Reviews

iSpy Cameras
iSpy Cameras
Price: 0.63

5.0 out of 5 stars endlessly interesting, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: iSpy Cameras (App)
There's a real fascination for me in looking at scenes from around the world at different times of day. Some bizarre locations, some picturesque, but unexpectedly interesting to watch early morning walkers, the waves coming into distant harbours or snow falling unexpectedly not far away. Much better than TV.

Address Unknown
Address Unknown
by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A seminal book, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Address Unknown (Hardcover)
First heard as a radio play, this book is compelling reading. It casts so much light on the reasons for the rise of Nazism in post WW1 Germany in a gripping story told through correspondence between two former business partners. Immensely clever, affecting and just plain brilliant.

HT04 2-in-1 Garden 18V Multi-Tool Cordless Hedge Trimmer and Branch Cutter
HT04 2-in-1 Garden 18V Multi-Tool Cordless Hedge Trimmer and Branch Cutter
Offered by Gtechonline
Price: 149.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to use, 13 July 2013
This is the first cordless garden tool I've bought. I was doubtful, as reviews of all cordless outdoor equipment seems to range from highly complimentary to near abusive!
I bought this because we have some high hedges and I'm getting too old to trim at the top of a wonky ladder. I have a Gtech cleaner which works very well - hence the choice of this one.
It arrived pretty quickly and didn't take long to assemble and charge the battery. After several sessions I remain very pleasantly surprised by how light and efficient the trimmer is - haven't tried the branch cutter yet. I still have to stand on a bench for our highest hedges, but that's all! the Trimmer is versatile, quiet (sounds like a sewing machine) and nicely made. It's turned a job I almost dreaded into one I don't mind doing. A charge seems to last around 40 minutes, which is great. I used the trimmer to mow down a large patch of shoulder-high nettles at the back of our garden and it did a very neat job.
Well-made, pleasing bit of equipment. Highly recommended,

Ryobi 18V One Plus Line Trimmer
Ryobi 18V One Plus Line Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great trimmer....pity I didn't read carefully enough, 13 July 2013
I ordered this trimmer in a bit of a hurry, having given up trying to start my 2-stroke petrol strimmer. It's actually great - really well designed and easy to use. I've done 2 sessions with it, getting about 25 minutes' use the first time and, hopefully more this time - still some charge left. The edging facility is really very good, by the way.
I bought this from Cutio, and the delivery time was fine. However, I hadn't picked up from their ad that the trimmer came without a battery, so I was a bit disappointed when it arrived. I bought a battery elsewhere, and all's fine. Two points (bearing in mind, it's probably my own fault). Often Ryobi tools are described clearly as 'bare' if they come less a battery...this makes it clearer. Secondly had I bought with a battery from an alternative supplier, I could have paid rather less than I did for the two items separately.

All that said, I'm delighted with the trimmer and can heartily recommend it.

SPV Lights - Waterproof PIR Solar Security Light with 15 LEDs in Black
SPV Lights - Waterproof PIR Solar Security Light with 15 LEDs in Black
Offered by SPV Lights Ltd
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good value and performance (with some limits), 3 July 2013
I bought one of these for myself and one as a present for a friend. Mine is on the garage and lights the approach to our front door. We live in a very isolated spot, so it's an important function. The light is replacing a halogen security lamp and, obviously, gives out a lot less illumination. That said, it's just about sufficient to do the job. My friend's light is on his house wall, lighting up the front gate - same comment. Considering the cost, I feel these lights do a really good job within the given limits. They're very quick and easy to fit and, not least, make a contribution towards saving energy - and money!

My Big Farm Book (My Big Board Books)
My Big Farm Book (My Big Board Books)
by Roger Priddy
Price: 4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars still a favourite, 6 Feb 2013
This is a lovely book, part of a great series. I bought it for my 1~year old grandson for Christmas, along with a toy farm. He still loves it, and has learned the names of many of the things in it. It's also very robust and stands up well to use.

Birds of Britain
Birds of Britain
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars a real pleasure, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Birds of Britain (App)
This app was certainly slow to download and, as suggested by another reviewer, changing the screen timeout to maximum was a big help. The app itself, once installed, is great. Good info, lovely images and especially helpful and interesting to have the song recording on the page. A real pleasure to browse, strongly recommended if, like me, you like to observe birds but need a bit of support to identify them.

Sat Nav with Multimedia Player Europe and UK maps, 4GB
Sat Nav with Multimedia Player Europe and UK maps, 4GB
Offered by Euromart (UK Royal Mail Post)
Price: 32.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth persisting, 4 July 2012
My SatNav arrived a couple of weeks after I ordered it, and I must admit I was initially disappointed. The device is essentially a small computer, not dissimilar to my Android tablet, but smaller and more limited (obviously).
I made a problem for myself when I chose a wallpaper (because I could!) that hid from sight the lower button on the worktop that enables a second screen which included some vital settings for the navigation programme. I was thus unable to find any maps other those for US/Canada and, although I wanted the Canada maps for our forthcoming visit, I was also keen to use the device in the UK before we go.

Some of the feedback about communication from the supplier has been poor, so I emailed for help without much hope, but the next day (a Sunday)I received a reply in perfect English, some guidance and an offer of further help. Discovering the 2nd screen helped! I was able to find the UK maps and have been using the device in my car ever since. I can't fault the communication, which was far better than many suppliers.

The maps themselves are good - I drive some obscure rural byways and I've yet to catch it out. Compared to our Tom Tom, the screen is a bit small and some info (arrival time, etc) appears on a second, easily accessible, screen. The voice that gives directions is a little quiet and tends to distort a little at full volume (not sure I want to use the music player for this reason). I could use a little more brightness on the screen - the green of fields is quite dark. Cities, which appear in grey on the daytime setting, are very easy to see in detail. I find the vocal warning if I exceed the speed limit very effective. It sounds quite reproving and I find myself attempting to argue with it - not productive. I'm also amused by the instruction to 'goo' as in 'goo over the roundabout'. It sounds slightly rude, or maybe a bit of Norfolk dialect crept in there.

Small point, but the mounting bracket is great. It adjusts and locks by way of a sturdy thumbwheel and stuck superbly to the screen before I locked it - that was a surprise.

Overall, this device is very good value despite a few limitations. When I initially tried to set it up, we decided either to send it back or leave it in Canada when the holiday was over! Now I'll be very happy to bring it back and use it while my partner uses the Tom Tom.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 12:46 PM BST

Toni&Guy TGSH8899UK Sporty Dual Foil Rechargeable Shaver
Toni&Guy TGSH8899UK Sporty Dual Foil Rechargeable Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great little shaver, 3 Mar 2011
I bought this because I managed to lose my Remington rechargeable shaver (don't ask) and I wasn't keen to pay a lot of money, especially as I'd lost my beard trimmer at the same time! In any case, I thought the missing items might both turn up.
I didn't fancy the lurid red version and had no great expectations of the shaver's performance. It arrived very quickly and I was pleasantly surprised at the solidity and the speed with which it charged. It actually performs very well - better than the previous one, giving quite a close shave and being pleasant to use and easy to keep clean - like the Remington, you can run it under the tap.
After a month of charging it weekly I decided (as in the instructions) to let it run until the batteries were exhausted, assuming this would only take a few minutes. Actually it ran most of the morning!
I have 2 small concerns. The trimmer blade rises very slowly in response to two not-very-positive push buttons. I thought it was stuck, gave it a helping pull, and ended up with the blade, springs and all, in my hand. It took me a while to get it back. I advise you to wait a few seconds - it has a majestic, unhurried way of appearing.
I actually thought it was so good a shaver that I'd buy spare foils and cutter blades and so contacted T&G, was referred to a service outfit called Helen of Troy (yes, really - surreal, isn't it? Imagine the start of the conversation)who, in turn, referred me to someone on a mobile. This gentleman told me that he couldn't sell me parts because they take them off returned shavers. Confused? - I am. This apart, a great buy.

Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer
Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very satisfied, 10 Feb 2011
I bought one of these in early October. Working part-time I have a little more time now to attend to my appearance! I'm just very impressed with this gadget. Since it arrived (4 months ago) I've used it daily to trim nasal hairs, ears, back of neck fuzz and those tricky little hairs down the sides of my moustache. This probably takes 2-3 minutes. I changed the battery this morning for the first time! The battery is a Philips one, too, by the way.

Other than the staggering battery life, I'm delighted with the gadget itself. It does a good, efficient job (no Ronseal quotes) and, as claimed, doesn't pull hairs or cause any pain or discomfort. For the price, I think it's an absolute bargain and I'd recommend it to anyone.