Profile for Loulou > Reviews

Rachel's Everyday Kitchen: Simple, delicious family food
Rachel's Everyday Kitchen: Simple, delicious family food
by Rachel Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, nice recipes, 7 Jan. 2014
I'm pleased with this nice publication, some lovely ideas for dinners at home (even if just a couple of the ingredients are not always 'everyday'). Lovely photos, nice and clear, written in a friendly and engaging tone.

Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century
Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century

2.0 out of 5 stars When they say 'whirlwind' they mean it!, 7 Jan. 2014
I was looking for a proper biography of Tesla, which this is not, so I was disappointed. But it was free, so no biggie! Do go elsewhere if you want actual information about his life, though.

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and great for beginners, 11 July 2012
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I am a fairly novice baker - not a complete beginner, but not very adventurous. I think this book is great for several reasons: it has extremely clear, easy-to-follow step by step photographs which is excellent for the trickier things that I would not usually attempt without such guidance, like croissants. I think there's a good balance between breads and other things like cakes, pastries etc, and there are some things that I will be trying that it would not otherwise have occurred to me to bake myself (e.g. the wonderful-looking grape and stilton flatbreads). It's a very beautiful book too, in my opinion, the photographs are just mouth-watering and I love the design. Aside from that, all I've tried so far is the basic white tin loaf, and it was excellent. If you want to get into baking, I think this is a great book. If you know loads already, it's probably not the one for you because you'll be familiar with most of it.

Everybody, Everyday
Everybody, Everyday
by Alex Mackay

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
This book has a fantastic idea behind it: the teaching of a few simple, core skills (i.e. how to cook a salmon fillet perfectly) and then expands on each of these with a huge number of possible recipes. Even each of these has variations for changing things up depending on what you have in the cupboard. It's a very practical book that understands how real people really are in the kitchen (me and my mother, at least!), offering good tips for managing to cook something everyday without being at all patronising or didactic about healthy eating, fancy ingredients, etc. I think it's a really nice book, the writing is lively and engaging, the recipes are just the sort of achievable, contemporary cooking that I like, and I think it is probably perfect for busy mums (there's advice about which recipes are good to puree for your baby, freeze for later, etc). So, yes - highly recommended!

Sarah Raven's Wild Flowers
Sarah Raven's Wild Flowers
by Sarah Raven

5.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous is the word, 10 Feb. 2012
This is an absolutely beautiful volume, lovely thick quality paper. The photos are gorgeous and the writing lively and personal in a way that keeps it interesting. Thoroughly recommended, especially as a really nice gift for someone (I, like several people who have left reviews, gave it to my Mum for Christmas, but got another for myself!)