Profile for Mr. S. Kerfoot > Reviews

The Equalizer: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Woodward
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Gold, 13 Oct 2008
Back in the dim and distant past, when we all had at least some money and all we worried about was nuclear war, The Equalizer was first broadcast. As soon as you heard the intense theme, you knew something special was on it's way.

Edward Woodward has been in many great series and films. Many are termed classics or have cult status. From Callan to Common as Muck, playing a most remarkable bin man, he's acted diverse roles superbly and with a subtlety few can match.

As Robert McCall, he is the man you call when you've no more options. I can imagine no one else in this role. As watchable today as twenty years ago, this series is made by the main actors. Not chosen for youth, let's face it, both McCall and Control are the mainstays with decades of experience and a world weary attitude. Both E. Woodward and Robert Lansing bring such skills to the acting that even the loosest plot makes for a fine forty minutes.

For a complete and enjoyable series, buy this. They simply don't make them like this anymore.

Mad Men - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Mad Men - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm

5.0 out of 5 stars Seen it? Mad not to., 13 Oct 2008
Once upon a time, American imports were prime time television in the UK. Far more watchable, by and large, than home-grown programming. The difference is, only the better US series make it to the UK. And they still do.

From House to West Wing, Damages to NYPD Blue, Battlestar Galactica to The Wire. These are the ones that came to mind without any effort at all. Any UK programmes that can compete with these are few, far between and shown for about six episodes at a time.

Problem is, a powerful lobby exists that bemoans any US shows airring at the most watched times. So, they are either shown on minority channels which still only a minority can receive or at incredibly late or early hours. Which brings us to Mad Men, which is known by so few because broadcasting times are in the wee small hours or on BBC4.

The acting is superb, the writing is very sharp and subtle and the production values are top notch. Is it for everyone? No. Some will think it too slow or lacking in punch. But unlike Eastenders or Coronation Street, this has the thread of realism running through every scene. Not being about in Sixties America, I can still empathise far more with that than the thoughtless soap based not a few dozen miles from where I live.

Or would someone rather watch a full DVD series of Casualty. No? Thought not. The amazing thing is, a Channel 5 executive can realise what the BBC can't. Who says the licence fee is wasted or that the mob at Broadcasting House are overpaid and under talented! Mad Men is believable and has to be seen to be believed. Televison should always be this good. The pity is that it isn't.

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 (Part One) [DVD]
Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 (Part One) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 4, part one, 9 Aug 2008
Yes, it's bound to be only episodes one to ten. Problem is, they know we'll want those episodes asap. The final part of season four will be shown from Spring 2009 onwards, so the full season won't be available until about October 2009.

BSG was originally released on DVD, season one at least, as two parts. The producers have also said that the last ten or so episodes may be well over the normal forty five minutes long. This said, when the whole of season four comes out, it may well be akin to a season and a half anyway.

But, that's just maybes and the future. The episodes one to ten on this DVD box set are excellent. Twists, turns, everything we've come to expect from BSG. So, buy this when released or wait another year for the full season, the choice is yours. But lets face it, you have to love the packaging they used!

The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers - The Complete Recordings
The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers - The Complete Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars Short review of a stunning, long set of music CDS & DVD, 21 July 2008
Okay, there are a few reviews here which are quite long and cover every detail. I think one was actually longer than one of the books. However, I'm not going to do that.

I received this set today and have played all the CDs twice. Helps to have a CD system which has at least a three CD capacity, that way it's seamless. The music is amazing. I already knew this having seen the film. However, to hear it all, every note, without dialogue, is something else.

I have the one disc OST CD, (not leather bound) and this set won't replace it. I'm glad I have both. This set for when I have time, the single when I don't. The quality of sound is excellent, the music superb and while some may have issues with the packaging, I think it looks great.

Frankly, I don't need leather bound CD cases, I like these for the music, not just to display. As Bernard Black said when asked if they were real leather editions of Dickens, he'd have to be paid in leather bound notes! Anyway, the cases look fine and I don't use them for frisbee or fetch with the dog.

Okay, price. Don't get ripped off by the sellers here who are frankly using the scarcity in the UK to ramp up the price dramatically. Play.com has this set for sale for thirty five pounds. Yes, it says presently out of stock, but put in an order anyway. I did about three weeks ago and as soon as they had it, it was sent.

Problem is that when they have outstanding orders, they get filled first, but if you are one of those you're fine. They don't take payment before they can deliver, and postage is included. The price on Amazon, (not by Amazon itself I hasten to add) is criminal. So, don't pay that and go elsewhere. And enjoy what is a true musical feast.

The Best Of Rambling Syd Rumpo
The Best Of Rambling Syd Rumpo

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for the ramblings, less for the rest, 17 Jan 2008
Every time I listen to this CD, I laugh. Really. It's that funny. To a point. Listed as The Best of Rambling Syd Rumpo, this CD is KW at his best, in full flow on Round the Horne, but only up to track 17. The concluding tracks are fine as far as they go, but RSR they aren't. As Noel Coward, KW shows how superb a mimic he was, and the two songs in this style are entertaining. The rest, from a musical I hadn't heard previously, are interesting, but that's all.
The CD, if containing RSR alone, would be worth five stars, without question. Unfortunately, the producers decided to short change us and the result is less than satisfactory. Even so, every time I put this CD on, I laugh. Really, I do. And all without bending my Chord Wangle!

Boston Legal - Season 3 [DVD]
Boston Legal - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Spader

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure excellence, 17 Jan 2008
Generally, by season three of any series, things begin to settle, slow or generally decline. Boston Legal does none of these. Characters stay true to form, the writing continues in the same vein and the acting is superb. Bill Shatner is always worth watching as the legendary Denny Crane and James Spader is given every opportunity to show why he's an Emmy winner.

There's not a weak link in the cast or duff episode in the whole run. It was especially nice to see Lake Bell reprise her role, but then who'd complain about that? All in all, it's hilarious to watch, compulsive when serious, (well, serious-ish) and even thought provoking as the series tilts at windmills. Highly recommended, but watch seasons one and two first.

Prestige Deco Cordless Dome Kettle, Brushed Satin, 1.5 Litre
Prestige Deco Cordless Dome Kettle, Brushed Satin, 1.5 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deco kettle, 13 Jan 2008
Well, it boils the water well. It also looks superb. The finish is excellent and it is easy to fill. This natural finish is better than the painted ones as there's nothing to peel off, etc. Looks really great and does exactly what a kettle should.

The Nazis - A Warning From History [DVD]
The Nazis - A Warning From History [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years on and still unsurpassed, 12 Jan 2008
I remember watching this series when broadcast. At the time, it had a profound impression on me, illustrating clearly that while I understood some of what had happened in the 1930s-40s, I had a great deal to learn about why and how it happened. To hear from those who had taken part or stood by while the horrors unfolded, to see the lack of regret, showed just why this series should be included in everyone's education.
It lead me to further research on various aspects, but even having read volumes on certain aspects, this documentary series remains at the height of distilled knowledge. Easily understood, anyone can watch this, at any suitable age, and gain from it. As I said in my title, while many other similar series have been broadcast since, this is still one of the most incredible produced.
As a complimentary to it, I'd recommend Conspiracy. Naturally it's a work involving some drama and elaboration, but to see the one after the other gives a feeling of the times and attitudes of senior Nazis, that while some actively sought the holocaust, others allowed it through their inaction. It's a reflection of the wider, national feeling of Germany at the time, something that TN-AWFH illustrates in the programmes focusing on that terrible period of inhumanity.

Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

2.0 out of 5 stars 2001 it's not., 12 Jan 2008
This review is from: Solaris [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched this film twice. I won't watch it a third time. The reason I watched it the second time? I actually fell asleep the first viewing. That has happened exactly twice watching films, so I'm not narcoleptic or anything. The effects are pretty good, the acting isn't bad, but the plot and direction are dreadful.
It's not that I didn't understand the film, unfortunately I didn't find it thought provoking as some have. No, it's just that there is very little content to the plot and what there is isn't used to as great effect as possible. It just seems to be something that they wanted to do but lost interest in quite quickly.
There are some films, like the aforementioned 2001, which benefit from time being spent building tension, elaborating on detail, etc. but it is a means to an end. I watched the film twice just to be sure it wasn't the fact that it was pretty late the first time. No, it wasn't that I'd been over tired, I'd just become so bored by what is in my opinion a wasted opportunity. Don't waste your money, unless you need a good sleep.

Coupling: Complete BBC Series 1-4 Box Set (Special Collectors Edition) [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Davenport

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, in all ways., 30 Dec 2007
If you watch British sit-coms now, you'll wonder how Coupling was ever possible. The cast are superb, the writing excellent and without doubt, you will laugh more in ten minutes than after whole week of regular viewing now.
Yes, series one to three are the best. Series four suffers only on the point that it's impossible to place a new character into an cohesive cast and not lose ground. If Jeff, played by Richard Coyle, had stayed for the last series, it would have been just as good as any previous series.
But anyway, if you enjoy Friends, Frasier, Cheers, Seinfeld or any other of the fine US imports we've had, you'll enjoy this and then some. What I want to know is why can't we make programmes of this standard now and just how did Sarah Alexander become so beautiful? Seriously, to be that good looking she must've had lessons!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5