Profile for Ms. T. Ross > Reviews

Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
by Martha Swift

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 29 Aug. 2010
As other reviewers have said, this is a beautiful book. It's not only cupcake recipes, but complimenting buttercream icings and a section with layer/sandwich cakes, all with pictures.

When I made my first batch of vanilla cupcakes, I thought the recipe was a bit fiddly, but was pleased when they had an even rise in the oven, with a nice shape to them. Yesterday, I made a second batch of vanilla cupcakes and I honestly couldn't remember why I had thought they were fiddly in the first place. Fair enough, there is a little more effort required than just throwing everything in one bowl and beating, but I much prefer the results and feedback I get from using this recipe. Neither batch have been stodgy and both have produced a fine crumb.

I too was sceptical about using 500g of icing sugar in the buttercream, but if you follow their recipe, you really need to use this amount as otherwise it would be too runny. It does produce a sweet buttercream, but it seems to compliment the cakes perfectly. However, I didn't find it as easy to make the buttercream look exactly the way it does in the pictures, but I guess that's down to the spatula I'm using; and because it is sweet, I didn't want to overload the cupcake. As much as I like doing my swirly icing with my Wilton 1M nozzle, I think some of these cakes look much classier.

I also made the chocolate cupcake recipe yesterday, with chocolate buttercream. There is more too this recipe - you'll need at least 4 bowls to melt the chocolate, whip the egg yolks, whip the whites and cream the butter and sugar - but again, the result was worth it. I got 12 muffin-sized and 22 mini-muffin size cupcakes from the batter. My sister and Mum loved them and I wouldn't be surprised if 5 children of friends are sick tonight after they consumed 2 large ones and at least one small one each (and possibly more after I left the rest of the batch with them) but they seemed to really enjoy them, which gives me great pleasure. I'm now desperate to try more of the recipes, especially the lemon one.

If you enjoy making cupcakes then this is a must-have book.