Profile for Alessandro Balestrino > Reviews

Content by Alessandro Bal...

Alessandro Balestrino (Pisa, Italy Italy)

Peter Gabriel: Live In Athens 1987 [Blu-ray + Bonus DVD] [2013]
Peter Gabriel: Live In Athens 1987 [Blu-ray + Bonus DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Peter Gabriel

5.0 out of 5 stars magnificent, 19 Nov 2013
This is a fantastic blu-ray that includes a suberb performance by Peter Gabriel. The only thing I can say is buy it. I am aware that some reviewers have complained because a DVD version of the same concert has come out not long ago, and assurances had been given that no blu-ray version was forthcoming (and instead here it is!). Most of these reviewers gave the present blu-ray one star. But, while I do not wish to dispute their point, the occasional customer should be re-assured that the one-star evaluation has noting to do with the concert as such: the sound and video quality are top-notch, as are the recorded performances.

Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Seeing as English is not my mother tongue it is easy for me to imagine that I will soon run out of adjectives to describe this show: "awesome" would be the one that comes to mind, but I am afraid it doesn't sound very British. So, let me try brilliant, superb ... take your pick and don't be afraid to exaggerate ... at this price, it's a must-buy.
I had a problem with the delivery, because Amazon used a non-trackable system that relies on my ordinary mail carrier for the last patch (I live in Italy), and ordinary mail delivery is totally unreliable here - but of course Amazon couldn't know it. The replacement order was however carried out perfectly.

Bones - Season 7 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Bones - Season 7 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Emily Deschanel

5.0 out of 5 stars Still very good, 1 July 2013
With the exception of the manger scene, in which Brennan's delivery of the baby didn't quite find its focus - it was neither funny nor dramatic nor anything really (just too improbable to be watched), this season of the show was as good as always. The characters continue to grow and develop, the dialogue is good, the new arch-nemesis is brilliant ... one thing which I found excellent is the way they managed to write Deschanel's real pregnancy into the script - except of course the delivery scene. So, my advise is to buy: the blu-ray is reasonably priced, and although there are only 13 episodes, it's worth the money, since the quality of the image is superb and the audio is also quite spacey.

Monteverdi: L'Incoronazione Di Poppea (Opus Arte: OABD7105D) [Blu-ray] [2010]
Monteverdi: L'Incoronazione Di Poppea (Opus Arte: OABD7105D) [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Baroque Orchestra of the Gran Teatre del Liceu
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars great music, so-so settings, 11 Mar 2013
Monteverdi is, as always, great to listen to. The music is so rich you can't tire of it. I liked the performances here. I am no great expert, all I can say I enjoyed it. I did not like the very minimalistic setting, that I found very unRenaissance-like. It's not that I do not like this sort of modernisations, though, it's more that I found this one not especially well done. On the whole, however, my advice is to buy: if you are into Monteverdi, this is very good, and you might like the setting more than I did.

In Concert With The Danish National Concert Orchestra & Choir [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Procol Harum

5.0 out of 5 stars very very good, 11 Mar 2013
Awesome. The sound is just fantastic, the music, if you like Procol Harum, is of course as brilliant as ever. A good place to start for those who do not know the band, a good place to remember for those who do ...

African Bach
African Bach

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice relaxing songs, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: African Bach (Audio CD)
I like this record because it creates a soothing and relaxing environment. There are no memorable pieces or outstanding ones, just a flow of alternating up-tempo pieces and ballad-like ones, all richly arranged and nicely rhythmic. Perfect in the background, but good also if you actually want to listen to some music and wish to keep it light. The sound isn't topnotch, but acceptable. The cover notes are however insufficient, as they do not list the players and generally do not give any information beyond the very basic stuff. All in all, I would suggest to buy, given also the very reasonable price.