Profile for Runcorn > Reviews

The Playwright's Guidebook
by Stuart Spencer
Price: 12.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Very glad I found this, 16 Sep 2012
I stumbled upon this in a bookshop a few years ago now, but am reading it for the third time recently. The early parts don't necessarily tell you anything revolutionary, but it's so clearly articulate on the fundamentals. Once that established the author goes on to talk about the anatomy of scene building and how to build conflict, and is as good as anyone else I've read on this aspect of writing. That kind of thing also covers novel writing, screenplays, short stories - I thought the lessons in this book were very versatile.

I've recommended it to a couple of mates who've also read it and found it helpful. It obviously doesn't have all the answers, doesn't deal that much with dialogue and characterisation for example. Definitely recommend this if you're especially looking for something with focus on how the different aspects of writing are connected on a structural and thematic level.

Cat's Cradle (Penguin Modern Classics)
Cat's Cradle (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Kurt Vonnegut
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Really doesn't get much better, 16 April 2011
Firstly, I'm a huge Vonnegut fan. From the pulpy sci-fi stuff to the offbeat and down-to-earth satires. For me, this is his best book. It's got all the elements that make Vonnegut great on show - funny dialogue, short chapters, repeat phrases which get more powerful each time, all within a whole new world religion he expertly creates within the story. I almost feel like I understood people better when I finished reading this the second time. It's deep, it's dark, but it's funny but it's really truthful and (I think) it made me understand how to be a better person!