Profile for David Wadsworth (david.wadsworth@ccgb.co.uk) > Reviews

Content by David Wadswort...

David Wadsworth (david.wadsworth@ccgb.co.uk) (United Kingdom)

jQuery: Novice to Ninja
jQuery: Novice to Ninja
by Earle Castledine
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent (SIX start rating), 28 Feb 2013
I have written JavaScript for the last 10 years and found it to be a very useful language although a little simple with tons and tons of typing (or copy/pasting) to achieve anything.

When jQuery first appeared I was immediately interested but did not have the time to dig deeper. Having just finished a three year project I decided that I needed to get to know jQuery.

It is like someone at JS listened to me banging on about JavaScript and built something better so now all I needed was a manual. By downloading EVERY jQuery sample and reading every one I came to this book. I read it from cover to cover the moment it downloaded and started practicing the techniques right away. I have surfaced for a few hours only before plunging in again and felt I must say `Cheers Bud` to the author for this excellent tome (are they still tomes if they are electronic?). I do not think this book would be perfect for someone who does not know JavaScript but for me it is an `Ile Flottane` of loveliness.

OK, waffle over, got to get back to it.

CSS3: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
CSS3: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Sawyer McFarland
Price: 21.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough!, 28 Feb 2013
Let me state right from the start I have not bought this book.

I am writing this review after downloading a sample of the book.

I do not know if the author reads these reviews but I feel I have to say that either the sample is too short or the book if full of Preface, About the author etc twaddle. I plowed through everything to get to the start of the good stuff only to have the sample run out leaving me no way to assess if the book is any good or not.

I buy loads of technical books for myself and my company and always use the same method. I DL as many samples as I can find, read ALL of them, select three that I want and then read the online reviews and make my final selection.

It is very very rare that I cannot assess a book because the sample finishes before any true content.

I do not want your book for free (the are places for that) as I am happy to pay for it but not untested.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 2:01 PM BST

Simply SQL
Simply SQL
Price: 6.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it!, 18 April 2011
This review is from: Simply SQL (Kindle Edition)
I originally contacted the author in an sql help forum where has answered a very perplexing question.

On his suggestion I purchased the Kindle version of the book and I am very glad I did.

I am a software engineer and have been for 36 years. I only meet SQL occasionally and like all lazy coders I have never learnt the language, preferring to muddle thru and hit the help forums when I get stuck. I have always known that I should learn it but its like the engineers car or painter and decorators house, it never gets done and after 36 years I guessed it wasn't gonna get done.

I am working on a project that oozes sql (multi tiered, up to 3000 clients) and after reading Rudy's book I have gone back and rewritten every single line of SQL and ..... wait for it ...... it all worked first time.

The plan is to come down off of the ceiling next weekend and coalesce on the floor (eh Rudy)?

Seriously though, this is the book that made me a SQL coder and it can also do it for you, stick it on the kindle and keep with you.

Sorted.

Act! 2000 5.0
Act! 2000 5.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best CRM software available....., 5 Sep 2001
This review is from: Act! 2000 5.0 (CD-ROM)
I run a consultancy company and have installed every CRM software product on the market. Since the upgrade to version 5.03 we now ONLY use ACT! as it is the safest product for storing your data, the most versatile to use and with Amazon pricing the most cost effective solution to keeping in contact with your customers.

JavaScript Goodies
JavaScript Goodies
by Joe Burns

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent starter manual, 7 April 2000
This review is from: JavaScript Goodies (Paperback)
This book is definitely for the beginner and as such experienced programmers with find it a bit flimsy. However, having had some prior programming experience, I found the style of the book to be very informative and I constantly refer back to it whenever I lose my way.

HTML: The Complete Reference
HTML: The Complete Reference
by Thomas A. Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent HTML tutorial book, 8 Mar 2000
Although the book is very deep in its coverage of the subject (help! detail overload) it is a bit pants as a reference book. I found that finding a topic is a bit, well, like a treasure hunt; worth persuing but you don't always find the treasure. Still, well worth the money and it helped me design much better websites.