Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "XBL - MrTheFish" (Scotland)

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Xbox 360)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solo, awesome online., 20 Jan. 2007
Nice game, very pretty, decent weapons, great snow and explosion effects etc etc. You've heard all this before and yes it's all true. A really good enjoyable game, brainless visceral combat, gunning down legions of insects and pirates. It's good, sure, it doesn't really disapoint on any level, so long as you turn your brain off.

But the main game just warms you up, gives you a feel for the controls and the basic mechanics of the game. Once you get the hang of how your character handles and what buttons you need to push, go for the multiplayer. Start off slow with a few non ranked matches and have yourself a blast. Human vs Human combat is infinitely more satisfying than the single player campaign, and while that's true for pretty much every game ever made with a multiplayer component, I find it just applies more to Lost Planet. This may be because human players can take a pounding before they die - you really need to lay the fire on thick to kill people. This results in some real tough gritty one on one encounters, especially if both players are equally skilled. And where single player requires brainless mowing down of everything that moves, pvp requires tactics, skill, brains and grenades.... lots of grenades.

There's more sense of achievement in killing one opponent in Lost Planet than single handedly killing an entire team in Gears. And I have to say, taking out players in VS's while your on foot is just about the most satisfying thing in video game history. I say "just about" because coming first with a 0-death score in a ranked match is more satisfying. Oh yes it is.

So yeah, enjoy the mindless single player game, it's a hoot. And once you got the hang of things, (......).

Gears of War (Xbox 360)
Gears of War (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

5.0 out of 5 stars The first genuine next-gen game, 18 Nov. 2006
This is the first item I've ever bought from amazon that inspired me to write a review, that in itself should speak volumes considering the thousands of pounds I've spent on amazon over the past 5 years.

Gears of War is the 6th Xbox 360 game I've purchased, bought Just Cause, Ghost Recon AW, Burnout Revenge, Oblivion, Chromehounds previously. Those 5 games were ok, but left me with this vaguely dissatisfying feeling at having shelled out so much money on the console and the games, and there was always this nagging voice at the back of my head berating me for wasting my money on this console.

Well that voice just got stabbed in the face and torn apart by a Locust grunt.

Gears of War is simply amazing. Every second I play it I am in awe, in terror, on the edge of my seat. Most games I play I take the gung ho approach and just charge in all guns blazing. Not Gears of War. I find myself terrified of open spaces, of dark areas, of anything that looks peaceful and safe. I know that as soon as I'm feeling secure, the Locust will attack and I'll find myself in the middle of a terrifying hail of gunfire, inhuman screams, yells of victory, warnings of enemies flanking me, and that's just from my teammates! Never in my life have I played a game that made me feel so completely immersed in its world. From the jaw dropping visuals to the excellant sound and the fantastic battle music that builds slowly as more and more enemies come charging at you, covering each other, throwing grenades, keeping your heads down while their comrades try and flank you.

Some of the game innovations are wonderful. Dancing from cover to cover is effortless and highly intuitive. Quickly ducking around the corner and capping a grunt with your sniper rifle then ducking back as a hail of gunfire splatters all around where your head was a half second ago... talk about adrenaline pumping. And the reload system, I don't know how they thought of it! Most games you run out of ammo, you reload, and that's it. In GoW you can just let the gun reload normally sure, but that takes time. Instead time it right and pull off a quick reload, or time it perfectly and get a damage boost reload. They took such a simple thing as reloading your gun and turned it into another adrenaline pumping task that needs to be mastered or you risk jamming your gun for several seconds. Simply brilliant.

Beautifully, wonderfully, horridly fantastic. One of the best games I've ever played on any console or on PC. I'm confident saying there wont be anything out to beat this for a long long time, and since I haven't even tried multiplayer or seen it in HD yet, that's a heck of a claim!

I am now happy that paying so much money on my xbox 360 was indeed not a waste. To have never played this game (at night, in the dark, with the volume pumped WAY up) would be a crime against the very spirit of gaming.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 8:40 AM GMT

RF Online (PC DVD)
RF Online (PC DVD)
Offered by Satsumo

3.0 out of 5 stars Casual Gamers Beware, 25 Feb. 2006
This review is from: RF Online (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Don't be fooled by the hype, this is nothing if not a 24/7 grind, and a deceptively complicated one at that.
Traditional level grinders will shoot themselves in the foot here, because while it's easy to level your character, it's hard to level your skills, and the larger the difference between mob level and skill level the harder it is to boost them.
What's this mean?
Well basically, it means you can powerlevel pretty easily killing mobs over and over and over, it's not so much of a chore as in other games. But if you do, you will soon find yourself with a level 30 character and a series of level 1 or 2 skills. Which means you are going to be annihilated by the first opposing faction player that comes along. It really requires massive amounts of time to level not only your character but all your skills (and since you can have pretty much every skill in the game from level 1, minus a few class/race skills.....)
The game interface is rather clunky and I found it quite hard to adapt to, with several quickslot bars similar to WoW, though you can't put the same skill/item in more than one slot, which kind of sucks when you are used to multiple quickslot bars configured for different situations (and maybe have health pots on each one, or your most used attacks on each one). Movement in the world is a pain in the behind, requiring a left mouse click to move you to whichever spot you clicked on, or manual movement with the cursor keys (though moving diagonally doesn't seem to work), and in the heat of battle its easy to become confused and go wandering off in completely the wrong direction.
On the plus side, the graphics are amazing, though I admit I have a high end system and all graphical settings maxed out. Character details is extraordinary, and as previously stated, the armor/weapon visuals are stunning. But as good as you think they are, just wait until you see those MAU's (big giant robots, huzzah!). The music is quite wonderful too, very Final Fantasy-esque (as indeed the visuals are too).
Beautiful visuals, beautiful music, awkward interface and above all, NOT for the casual gamer.