ARRAY(0xac6e59e4)

Profile for Journey of the giant > Reviews

Content by Journey of the...

Journey of the giant "kingfisher_75" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Gone
Gone
Price: 5.31

4.0 out of 5 stars about, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Gone (Kindle Edition)
im a 10 y.o bog and i love reading.these books inspired me to write books at school that my teachers love.if u like action, sci-fi and a little bit of romance, i recomend this series.

Smart Flesh
Smart Flesh

5.0 out of 5 stars Give It Time, 26 Mar 2011
This review is from: Smart Flesh (Audio CD)
This new record was always going to be stood up against previous effort OMGCD. It's initial impact is one of disappointment, even for those immersed in the wonder of this fabulous band. It is a project that really needs some serious devotion and investment before it's charms float to the surface, but belive me it is well worth this perseverence. The only major grump I have is the inclusion of Wire, a (turgid) solo instrumental, and in my view a serious error of judgement, particularly when one considers the songs overlooked and relegated to the "bonus" disc - "Maybe So" merited inclusion on the album, in fact outstrips many of the album tracks. But.......I love it!! Apothecary Love, I'll Take Out Your Ashes and the epic Smart Flesh are highlights.

The Wild Hunt
The Wild Hunt
Price: 10.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's All Go To Sweden And Play Johnny Flynn Songs......, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Wild Hunt (Audio CD)
....it may be the closest we can come to paying the country of Sweden back for providing us with the sublime TMOE.

I first saw this gent under the stars at End Of The Road festival 2009, knowing nothing of him prior to then. I have been in full blown obsession mode since that day. Now, these obsessions and incessant airplay are not infrequent, but in my case normally blow themselves out after a few months. Still going strong today........

Largely due to this album, the subsequent release of 2 equally brilliant EP's, and a few more pilgrimages from northern Scotland to gigs, his stock rises.

"A Thousand Ways", "Love Is All", "Buurden of Tomorrow" are stand outs from easily the album of last year. Can he compete with the excitement of a new Low Anthem record in 2011? To be seen. (if this review was out of 10, I might (but might not...) have dropped to 9.5 due to the track "Kids On The Run", which is the only TMOE track from 2 albums and 2 EP's that EVER gets skipped on my iPod.

I'm off to Sweden to apologise for James Blunt, Snow Patrol etc

Been Listening
Been Listening
Price: 12.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Handsome, young, posh & splendid, 2 July 2010
This review is from: Been Listening (Audio CD)
I noted the release of this with a degree of interest, having enjoyed his debut A Larum. The double disc duly popped through my letter box, and I subsequently deposited it on my car seat to follow my normal ritual of giving new purchases their baptism while driving. Standard practice of 1-2 listens then back inside the house has been obliterated - this album has been on repeat since purchased. It is simply outstanding, a real step forward from debut. Each and every track stands up to scrutiny. Yes, he rubs shoulders with fellow young, scruffy and very English artists like Laura Marling, Noah & The Whale, The Leisure Society et al. The common theme? They are all magical, and Johnny Flynn sits proudly atop the pile with this fabulous release.

Hope Glory Mountain
Hope Glory Mountain
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Indeed, 7 Dec 2009
This review is from: Hope Glory Mountain (Audio CD)
Not usually inclined to leave reviews unless an injustice has occurred.
I feel this way about a 3 star review for this album, so here's a 5 to bump up the average.....
The songs on this record are very affecting, and more importantly, very good. Since seeing them performed live at End Of The Road 2009, the band have catapulted themselves right up my most played on iTunes, and find themsleves in such exalted company as Herman Dune, Vetiver, Cave Singers, Felice Brothers, Low Anthem. In such fine company they belong - the songs speak for themselves, and anyone inclined toward any of the above named bands will find a lot to delight in with Glory Hope Mountain.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2010 9:02 PM BST

Nothing Gold Can Stay
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Felice, 12 Nov 2009
This review is from: Nothing Gold Can Stay (Audio CD)
Contrary to most of the reviews, I was hugely disappointed with the 3rd Felice Brothers album, Yonder Is The Clock. After the majesty of it's predecessors, and a storming live set witnessed at King Tuts in Glasgow, I could barely remember ever anticipating a new release with such fervour. I noticed that the only stand outs on the record were those sung by Simone Felice. On checking this trend, I subsequently found the same pattern on all Felice Bros releases - almost all of my favourite tracks had lead vocals by Simone (Mercy, Radio Song, Your Belly In My Arms). Imagine my delight when The Duke & The King announced their impending release.......the record more than made up for Yonder Is The Clock. It's Topanga Canyon vibe and lyrical content hit the spot. Written after a sad event in Simone Felice's personal life, it resonates with the sound of a man trying to find some answers. This was evident watching the band perform live at End of the Road festival, as he performed with an intensity I have rarely seen, and was literally held up by bandmates at the end of the show. The addition of a singing drummer with a voice like Marvin Gaye added a new dimension to the songs. Here's waiting for the next album, hoping my favourite Felice finds it within to keep on delivering the magic. Oh, and he could have a word with his kin as well, to get them back on their true path..........

Tight Knit
Tight Knit
Price: 9.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Beards, hats, tunes, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Tight Knit (Audio CD)
Vetiver are a wonder, a delight of a band that just keep on giving.
After 2 (one more of an EP) covers albums, containing little known songs (ie not The Beatles, Bob Dylan etc churned out badly on most covers albums) that were joyous affairs, the first album of originals since To Find Me Gone is perfectly crafted.

Can't be bothered trying to provide a breakdown of each song, or even to slot them in to some new oddly named genre (see "freak-folk", "alt-folktronic" "psych-folk" etc etc). Cohorts of Devendra banhart, and musical soulmates of John Phillips, The Band, I see them as a pre-cursor to the infinitely more successful, but no better Fleet Foxes.

Go on. I challenge you to find a better song this year than "More Of This". Toe tappingly splendid.

Thing Of The Past
Thing Of The Past
Price: 14.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like hay on a sunny day smells.....in a good way....., 26 Jun 2008
This review is from: Thing Of The Past (Audio CD)
With due respect, the geezer (or lady) on the previous review is a little too busy trying to be all clever and wistful. Forget all the pontificating about the value of a covers record, and just appreciate a) the selection of wonderful and non typical songs chosen b) the amazing and blissful interpretations of them c) the beauty of the vocal (seen live is just as incredible) d) the fact that a band as overwhelmingly fab as this is around to provide music as gloriously listenable as this.
Listen to any of these (faves are Roll On Babe and I Must Be In A Good Place Now), don't over analyse or concern yourself with who wrote them, and thank your own particular stars that Vetiver are with us...and hope the sun shines

The Felice Brothers
The Felice Brothers
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They might smell a bit, but....., 5 May 2008
This review is from: The Felice Brothers (Audio CD)
This lot are easily the best new band I have heard for years. Following on from a debut record (Tonight At The Arizona) that i thought they couldn't possibly match, this album proves me wrong. Highlights are Love Me Tenderly, Greatest Show On Earth and Ruby Mae. As exhilarating and raw as it gets, love it..buy it.

Casa
Casa
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost to most, 21 April 2008
This review is from: Casa (Audio CD)
Native to Saskatchewan, RDY offers an album soaked in the prairie spirit of western Canada. You can almost taste the dust and see the stretching plains as he delivers song after song of (almost) mumbling beauty. Laced with a splash of trumpet here and a smattering of piano there, it is hard to pigeonhole this music, and very hard to compare. Some may call it alt country, others may label it desert Americana. The man sounds laid back to the point of sleep, but uplifts with this wonderful album.

Page: 1 | 2