Profile for S. O'ROURKE > Reviews

Content by S. O'ROURKE

S. O'ROURKE "Generic internet ID" (Lincoln, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Painless [DVD]
Painless [DVD]
Dvd ~ Àlex Brendemühl

5.0 out of 5 stars This is film is superb. It also has subtitles., 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Painless [DVD] (DVD)
Evocative of Del Toro Pan's Labyrinth and to a lesser extent Devil's Backbone. Intelligent and disturbing film making that stays with you long after watching it.

Unfortunately due to an Amazon error regarding subtitles (you will be watching a film with subtitles!) some frustrated people are giving this superb film 1 star ratings, which is a shame.

Brooklyn - 3 Tier Shelf Unit / Bookcase - Black
Brooklyn - 3 Tier Shelf Unit / Bookcase - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality shelves, 20 Sept. 2013
Nice shelves, well made, incredibly easy to assemble and good quality. Perfect for dvds/cd/blu ray and good value at 24.99 plus p&p.

If unsure about the dimensions, check the dimensions!

The Devil's Business [DVD]
The Devil's Business [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Gordon
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Satanic horror in years, 18 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Devil's Business [DVD] (DVD)
I was lucky enough to see this at frightfest last year on the big screen, and so am very excited it has finally been released.

Fans of classic Satanic/Occult Horror such as Race with the Devil, The Devil Rides Out (and Wheatley's novels for that matter), Rosemary's Baby and more recent films such as House of The Devil should, nay, will love this intelligent well scripted horror. Strongly recommended.

Harpoon: The Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre [DVD] [2009]
Harpoon: The Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Pihla Viitala
Offered by TIP TOP SELLER

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and fun!, 4 Mar. 2012
I was lucky (?) enough to catch this at Glasgow frightfest in Feb 2010 and the film was well received as an obvious tongue in cheek slasher homage. Having bought the dvd I can now see that's it's tagged as a straight hardcore slasher movie. Which is a blatant bloody lie, and if I'd bought it as such I'd be as annoyed as everybody else seems to be.

I still think it's ace though.

Opus Eponymous
Opus Eponymous

5.0 out of 5 stars 666, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Opus Eponymous (Audio CD)

Mi nomine Baphomet
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2012 11:41 AM GMT

Kenco Millicano Refill 85 g (Pack of 6)
Kenco Millicano Refill 85 g (Pack of 6)
Offered by MadBuy

2.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully balanced opinion!, 27 July 2011
Fairly average instant (red Kenco?) mixed with 15% finely-milled beans to make taste more palatable. If Kenco used the Costa Rican, Peruvian or Brazilian brand instead, this could be a very nice instant.

As an instant-coffee afficionado (don't laugh, the two aren't mutually exclusive!) I would rate this higher than, say, Blue really rich Kenco or N******e Gold Blend, but lower than the speciality ranges (e.g. the Kenco ranges above).

Hope this helps!

PS - I have now upgraded my rating from a 3 to a 4, as I seem to be continuing to drink it!

PPS - Not sure what happened here folks, but now I don't touch the stuff and find it bland and inspid. Went back to Kenco Peruvian and Cosa Rican, and never looked back!

Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage (PC DVD)
Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247

3.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor, 19 Sept. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Having played Darkness Within 1 and greatly enjoyed it, it was with some excitement I began to play The Dark Lineage. Unfortunately, the game is so buggy as to spoil enjoyment. Items can disappear, some puzzles don't work properly and references are made to events which have not yet occurred. In one puzzle, Howard made reference to a piece of deciphered text, however, I had not yet deciphered this text. Some of the bonus puzzles, such as the morse code puzzle, do not seem to work, which prevents one from finding many of the secrets and easter eggs later in the game.

"Fortunately" there is a patch now available that solves these bugs. As I usually do, once I installed the game (only a week or so ago) I immediately installed the latest patch (1.02), only to find the game refused to run, as soon as I started a new game it would send me back to windows desktop with the generic windows error message "this program has stopped working". Only WITHOUT the patch could I get the program to run at all. Unfortunately the bugs spoilt the experience for me, I sometimes had to resort to walkthroughs to see if I was stuck or if the bugs were the problem. Certainly these prevented this form being the immersive experience it should have been, as this would have been a great game without these problems.

Having said that, I did complete the game and would recommend this with reservations to fans of Darkness Within 1. Presumably had the patch worked all would have been good. I use Vista 32 bit, so perhaps users of another OS would have no problem getting the patch to work, it must work for some people!

Jules' review seems a fair summary of the game, so I don't really feel the need to repeat what he said, although I thought he was unduly unfair on the graphics, this isn't a FPS after all. The graphics are amongst the best I have seen in a point and click adventure, and, ironically, I found no graphical glitches at all!

Evil Days Of Luckless John (PC)
Evil Days Of Luckless John (PC)
Offered by A*BargainProducts

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 12 Jan. 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I very rarely, if ever, find a point and click adventure so infuriating that I stop playing about 30 minutes in. Unfortunately this is such a game. While the graphics are very nice, very lucas art-esque, the controls are so frustating and impossible to use in one of the (many) real time segments. Think of the worst bits of the movement controls in broken sword 3 (which I finished) magnified one thousand times, and repeated over and over again until you lose the will to live. As a great fan of GTA et al on the PC, I normally have no problem with real time controls, but here I have simply given up. 99p plus postage, and it was still too expensive, and a waste of time. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!! Buy dark fall, Barrow Hill, any light house interactive adventure, any broken sword, a zork game, Beyond good and evil, ANY pc game, but not this one!

Don't say you weren't warned.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2011 5:48 PM BST

The Roger Corman Collection [DVD]
The Roger Corman Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice box., 22 Dec. 2008
Love this box set. My three fave Price/Corman/Poe movies in one nice slip-box. No advantage over the individual releases, and a bit of a shame they're not remastered, but then they're exactly as I remember. And they're in their proper aspect ration, no stupid 4:3.

Any Price Corman fans should buy this now. End of! Hey, even people who don't like Usher keep watching it apparently!

The Sin Eater [2003] [DVD]
The Sin Eater [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Heath Ledger
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Forgiveness for the unforgivable?, 17 May 2008
This review is from: The Sin Eater [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Dreadful, pretentious tripe. A ridiculous and probably blasphemous conceit too. I only watched it all to see if it could maintain the same level of pretension through out, it could. The only saving grace was the belly laugh reading the, admittedly few, positive reviews on amazon. Not even slightly as clever as it thinks it is.

I'm off to read some Umberto Eco, see ya!

Page: 1 | 2