Profile for Ian Hobson > Reviews

Content by Ian Hobson

Ian Hobson "Ian" (Northampton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Motionperformance Essentials Blue Velour Comfort Memory Foam Neck Support Cushion (Traveling, TV, Reading)
Offered by MP 1st Class Supplies
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and a great saving to the neck, 29 May 2014
The memory foam is rather solid and suports your neck, rather than confirming to it. However, lie back and it works superbly.

Product appears well made and the cover unzips for washing - but there is no hook or clip so attaching it to case or backpack between trains was not possible.

I have an inflamed rotator cuff in my shoulder which often makes sleep painful, yet I have just spent 24 hours in trains and buses (and waiting about!) and it saved my neck enough and enabled me to grab some sleep.

Its not perfect - I would like to have given it 4.5 stars - but it is very good. Will definitely make sure I take it with me next time I am on a long trip.

Dorfman Pacific Men's Large/Extra Large Thinsulate Lambskin Gloves (Black)
Dorfman Pacific Men's Large/Extra Large Thinsulate Lambskin Gloves (Black)
Offered by BeltOutlet
Price: 15.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Super soft, effective and remarkably warm, 7 May 2014
I bought these gloves for cycling (in case of accident they would protect my hands from scraps on the road).

They are thin yet super warm, elegant pair of gents gloves, and don't interfere with the control of the bike at all.

Brilliant!

Kryptonite Evolution Kryptoflex Cable with Flex Frame Bracket - Black/Orange, 7 Ft
Offered by Koo Bikes
Price: 31.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Really secure lock - just a bit small., 11 Mar 2014
This is a secure lock, and looks tough as anything. It will send any thief looking for another bike to ride home if you can fit it.

The main shackle has a 3.25 inch wide gap, and the gap is 6.25 into the loop. This is not suitable for my e-bike because the battery is behind the seat post and I simply cannot fit this lock securely.

For a normal bike it would probably be superb.

RTX Wireless Phone Jack
RTX Wireless Phone Jack
Offered by liGo
Price: 34.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, let down by poor quality., 11 Mar 2014
When it arrived, it connected up easily and everything appeared to be OK. I could ring out.

Then the trouble began. When the computer was on, I got serious interference with the sound system, and had to move things well out of the way.

An in-coming call failed to ring the phone, although picking it up did answer the call. (No problem - I could here the other extension ringing).

Then, after about a week of use, I picked the phone up this morning to answer a call and got nothing but static. Same again 30 minutes later. This is no use to me, so its going back. Tomorrow I'll be up in the loft installing a proper extension cable.

Nice idea, let down by poor implementation.

Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T-Shirt - Heather Grey Large
Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T-Shirt - Heather Grey Large
Offered by ETHIC-STAR Limited
Price: 2.48

1.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, scratchy and shrank, 14 Dec 2013
The good.

The bad. This "Heavy" T shirt, is thin. The sizing started off a bit on the small side, and then it shrank in the first wash! (The temperature was for "delicates and coloured"). The material is scratchy. After 2 washes the seams started to come undone and they have been discarded.

Gold Coast Bicycle Tyre Inflator Pump with Manometer Gauge. Up to 160 PSI or 11 Bar Air Pressure
Offered by eSecure
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and effective, and easy to read., 14 Dec 2013
Says it all really.

For use at home it is much easier to use than a hand pump, and the gauge is easy to read, and helpful in getting the pressure correct.

It is too large to take on the bike conveniently, so I have a small pump for punctures when out.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit fragile - light use only., 14 Dec 2013
Bought in July, and used basically for fetching the shopping.

It arrived when expected, and fitted fine, and is secure once fitted. There are three large containers - one each side and on top - and a small pocket on each side for papers, and two rear pockets shaped for bottles. The zips are fitted so they won't get opened when in use by dragging on things. Its been secure and served its purpose. On the one wet day, the shopping did not get wet.

However there has two issues.

First - how to get the shopping from the supermarket to the bike? I tried taking the panniers off and into the supermarket, loading them at the checkout, and then carrying them to the bike. Not good. The pannier is hard to fix onto the bike when full! If I use the store's carriers this is wasteful. If I take my own bags, they have to be taken home on the bike as well, limiting capacity.

Second, and most disappointing is that the horizontal seam to the top section has split. As it gets worse, the top section will shed its contents. This is after 5 months of approx weekly use. The Supermarket is just under 2 miles away, and I have not strained it, so the use has not been heavy. OK, it is an inexpensive pannier, but I am rather disappointed.

The Design Cookbook: Recipes for a Stylish Home
The Design Cookbook: Recipes for a Stylish Home
Price: 3.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely un-readable., 9 May 2013
This book will not load onto my Kindle 2 (it does not appear on the list) nor will it load to my Kindle for PC. It appears but says it is not compatible.

On the iPad I can see pretty pictures - and I can make out where the text is, but it is too small to read. The letters are so small they are not formed properly by the pixels - my guess is it is in 4pt.

Most paper books are in 11 to 13pt for comparison.

This ebook is simply UN-readable - even with a powerful magnifying glass.

Eaga Energy Monitor
Eaga Energy Monitor

3.0 out of 5 stars OK to get an idea of usage - but short life, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Eaga Energy Monitor (DIY & Tools)
Installation was a breeze. The meter box and sender is about as far from the display as is possible in a modern house, but they liked up and worked fine.

It reports energy use about ever minute. Whether this was the average power over the last minute or an instantaneous reading I was never able to tell.

After about 8-9 months, I had to replace the batteries, which required a very small screwdriver. This is because the sender is sealed with screws and a rubber washer/ring thing. It is a bit fiddly to do but it does protect the sender from the damp if your meter box is outside.

Sadly, after 15 months, it just stopped working. I replaced the batteries in the sender unit, but it made no difference. It would report it had linked up, but never stopped showing 0.00 used.

Daffodil US01 - USB Sound Card - Plug and Play Speaker and Microphone Connector for Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 6.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap rubbish, 15 Nov 2012
It worked, but was so flimsy that it broke after a month of very light use.

Don't waste your money.