Profile for GSURMACR > Reviews

GSURMACR (Tarleton RUFC)

WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 4 TB
WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 4 TB

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 9 April 2015
Phew!!! After reading the (ahem!) 'mixed"reviews I took my courage in my hands and ordered this yesterday afternoon. Arrived at midday and once connected....up came an error message saying I needed to contact WD customer services. Kicking myself, I did so. BUT....extremely good support desk walked me through the setup and 30 mins later Im up and running with a HUGE 4TB personal cloud and very happy. Handily, works fine with a network expander that you plug in, as it hums softly, but enough to perhaps become mildly distracting in the sitting room! Only real minor irritation is the WD online interface requires Java which is not a problem to download.... unless you run a chromebook, like me, so will have to find a way to sort this. However the advantages of being able to access my home PC files from work without memory sticks or expensive monthly storage more than outweigh this. Cant claim any expertise in this area, Im a complete idiot with computers. Sorry folks, dumb luck but it worked like a dream for me!!

Pride and Joy
Pride and Joy
by Alex Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be the best few quid youve spent, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Pride and Joy (Paperback)
By way of background - Im a consultant surgeon at a UK NHS hospital. Last week after reading this book I emailed my Directorate Manager as follows (CC-ing as always my consultant surgeon colleagues)

"Quick question – Ive noticed that there is an EDD [expected discharge date] column on CPD for all inpatients. Do you know who fills that data in? Ive never thought about it / been asked to estimate it before. For day case / elective cases Im sure the data is highly predictable, but for emergencies much less so (and emergencies are where the problems lie).

For an explanation of why an accurate EDD is the most essential bit of data we need to sort out our bed crisis please beg borrow or steal a copy [of Pride and Joy]

If we can do a few simple things and convince (shame?) medicine into doing likewise we might, just might, start being able to get our own patients into our hospital.

I know, I know, crazy talk. But we can dream."

(OK so a cheap shot at the expense of Medicine, but they can take it.)

If youve read Goldratt's "The Goal" you'll be familiar both with TOC and the novel-as-learning-journey format used here. As a clinician I found it accessible and has already led to small changes in my own behaviour - eg just been on call this weekend and did a full round of all the general surgical patients in the hospital and discharged some home. (One thing to remember is nobody ever got fired for keeping a patient in hospital so if the NHS is ever going to get back on an even keel, it will require the senior decision makers leading the line).

Didnt stop us having to divert, however. :-(

Well worth the time to read. Could be the best few quid youve spent.