Profile for J. C. Hiskins > Reviews

Kenwood IM200 1.1 Litre Ice Cream Maker
Kenwood IM200 1.1 Litre Ice Cream Maker
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic model, 31 Jan 2010
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my seven year old daughter. She manages to operate without any help for me, so it really is very simple to use. All the ice cream we've made has been perfect. Provided the bowl is well frozen you can have soft-set ice cream within 20 minutes. An hour in the freeezer and it is pretty firm. The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is that it is rather noisy, but other than that it is simple and easy to use and super-quick to clean. A really good basic buy.

Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
by Jane Brocket

5.0 out of 5 stars Will get you reading and eating, 4 Feb 2009
I found this book to be absolutely charming. More a book about children's literature than a cookbook it still has some delicious recipes - both the parkin and macaroons are superb. Reading this book has inspired me to read the books I loved as a child to my own children and hope that when they're old enough they will want to read them for themselves. My daughter and I have had fun putting together "Famous Five" picnics (lashings of everything, of course) and baking simple things, like sugar biscuits. It is a book that has had me spending more productive time with my children and that can only be a good thing.

Bake
Bake
by Rachel Allen
Price: 4.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book for beginner and enthusiast alike, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: Bake (Hardcover)
I'm an enthusastic baker and collect cookbooks in general and baking books in particular so my mum bought me this for Christmas. In the single week that I've had it I've already made 2 of her recipes - the bacon and blue cheese empanadillas to use up Xmas leftovers and also made the wonderfully crunchy, indulgent, but not too rich chocolate and coconut bars. This is my first Rachel Allen cook book but won't be my last. The recipes are simple, well written and can get anyone baking. If you can read you can bake. The glossary is fabulous and exceptionally useful and her writing style is warm and inviting. I recommend this book to one and all.

Lady and Sons Box Set
Lady and Sons Box Set
by Paula H. Deen
Edition: Plastic Comb
Price: 19.39

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete let down, 20 Jun 2007
I bought this box set thinking there were three books in it, but there were only two. This annoyed me initially but once I'd read through the books I wasn't that bothered. I had hoped that the recipes would be a little better than they turned out. I have little knowledge of Southern American cooking, but it looks as though it is based on convenience and little else. I lost count of the recipes that called for canned and packeted food. There seemed little "real" cooking. I'm not a fanatic, but I like to feed my family on food that I prepare from scratch, I like to know exactly what my children are eating. I do not feed them on cans of condensed soup or cans of chilli as they are filled with preservatives and heaven knows what. There were a few recipes I might try in the future, but very few. The baking recipes looked the most interesting.

If you like real cooking and knowing what is in your food then this is not the book for you. It isn't proper food, just reconstituted, reheated mush and I hate to think that this is real "Southern Food". Give these books a wide berth.

Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon
Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon
by Claudia Roden
Price: 21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite!, 12 Mar 2006
This is a truly wonderful cookbook - my book of the year so far. Claudia Roden writes beautifully and there is not a recipe in this book that I don't want to cook. A book of three parts, Turkey, Lebanon and Morroco, the differences in these cuisines are quite marked even when using similar ingredients. There are some delicious tagine recipes along with pilafs and fish dishes and the desserts are sublime (try the Turkish yoghurt cake!), but for me the mezze recipes are a real standout. You can easilly make a full meal out of a handful of recipes from this great collection and I often do. The variety of the dishes and their stunning flavour is remarkable. I cannot say enough good things about Claudia Roden and this incredible book. If you enjoy cooking something a little out of the ordinary you won't regret buying this book for a second.

French Leave: A Wonderful Year of Escape and Discovery
French Leave: A Wonderful Year of Escape and Discovery
by John Burton Race

3.0 out of 5 stars French Leave, 11 Oct 2004
The recipies in this book are wonderful. All are authentic, well researched, occasionally a challenge, but always worth the effort. John Burton Race is a wonderful chef and his love of food is infectious, but he is no writer. The prose that accompanies the recipies is risible. No idea or character is allowed to develop, the whole year he spent in France is told in the sketchiest fashion imaginable and is an incredibly boring read. But the food is amazing!