Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul

Paul (Willenhall, United Kingdom)

Zyliss Extra Large Rotary Cheese Grater with Fine and Coarse Drums
Zyliss Extra Large Rotary Cheese Grater with Fine and Coarse Drums

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit pricey but so worth it!, 25 Mar. 2013
This is basically a kitchen gadget for the lazy amongst us. I love cooking and cheese is oh-so-definitely a part of that. If there is one part of cooking I absolutely hate however it's grating cheese! I hate the muscle power and dexterity required to do it well. I hate the fact I end up grating my fingers occasionally. And I hate that I've gone through a number of cheaper graters over the years as they eventually relent from pressure on the handles or just aged plastic.

In steps the joyous solution in this rotary cheese grater! If it looks gimmicky it is because it is indeed quite swish to behold. When I first fetched it out the box I was dubious if it was actually a working kitchen tool or just a fancy gimmick. Fortunately my fears were dispelled when it churned through a slab of cheese in record time. Seriously grating cheese isn't just super easy with this thing it is also really fast! Thanks to it also being dishwasher safe it was a simple matter of disassembling it in 20 seconds and popping it in the dishwasher when I finished. I was also impressed that you can load the drum in two ways so this can be used by both left and right handed people which is great if you share a kitchen with others.

Tonight me and the mrs had tasty enchillidas without any of the hassle! Result! So whilst I'd acknowledge it is a little on the pricey side it's certainly well made, works very well and took the hassle out of what is a mundane kitchen chore. If that's what you're looking for then grab yourself one and get grating!

Fifty Sheds of Grey: Erotica for the not-too-modern male
Fifty Sheds of Grey: Erotica for the not-too-modern male

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cheap Giggle, 25 Mar. 2013
The Mrs wanted me to pick this up for her after she'd read the blurb on the high street. At 99 pence you get exactly what you pay for, a cheap giggle. There are a couple of moments of chuckles and a few smirks in here but don't expect a literary masterpiece or comedic genius.

It's 99p at the end of the day folks. If you've got half an hour to kill and a quid to burn then go for it. If you're still unsure then you're probably too discerning for the humour found within in the first place.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Onyx Black - fits all Paperwhite generations

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic just like the Kindle it houses, 25 Mar. 2013
I absolutely love this case. I wouldn't exactly call myself an aficionado of e-reader cases but I'd be willing to bank this is up there with the best.

To keep things short and sweet here is the rundown as I see it.

Good Points

Quality Feel - This case looks and feels high quality from the outer leather exterior to the interior material branded with the kindle logo. This makes it something nice to own and doesn't hide your paperwhite in something cheap and tacky.

Sturdy - The case has a tough feel to it which lets you know it will protect your e-reader from all but the most brutal punishment. I've dropped my kindle a couple of times and it has completely protected it from normal falling damage. I'm not sure how it would cope with a trip down the stairs but then I don't fancy being THAT careless to find out! There is a magnetic clasp on the front of the case which prevents the cover from opening when in a bag or drawer. All in all this means you can be confident that the whole of your kindle is protected from front, back and sides while it is in the case. Which after all if you're in the market for a case, is something you want.

Comfortable - I personally find the kindle easier to hold while it is in this case. I can't see why you would want to remove it either as the kindle slots in perfectly snug and looks tidy while in there.

Wakes the Kindle - Similar to the iPad magnetic front case opening the kindle when it is housed in this case will cause the device to wake which is a nice touch. Yes, it only takes a couple of seconds to use the on/off switch but with this you don't need to which for me makes my reading experience that little more immersive. It becomes even more like picking up a book, turning back the page and off you go. Similarly when you're done reading just close the cover and put it down as you would with a book. It's one of those simple things that just "feels right" and adds to the wonderful experience of owning such a device.

Bad Points

I'm struggling to think of many really but there are two fairly obvious one's to mention.

Cost - It's certainly not cheap in a market where there are plenty of cases on offer. If you're on a budget and you're not overly concerned with top notch protection for your kindle then maybe this would be too much of an expense.

Weight - It does add a little weight to the product. This is heavier than a gel cover and heavier still that just keeping your kindle in a pouch that you remove for reading. All of this is pretty obvious but if you're someone who cares about every extra bit of weight you add to the device it's something to think about. I personally don't think it adds any discomfort to the device. As I've already mentioned I prefer holding the kindle while in this case.

Overall

I think this is a solid offering from Amazon to protect one of their best devices on offer right now. If you're looking for a case I can give my full recommendation for this one. It's certainly not cheap but I take the view that if I'm spending a fair amount on such a nice device I want to make sure it is protected properly. This case certainly ticks the boxes for protection, comfort and being of a high quality manufacture.

Hama USB 2.0 Hub 1:4 Black, Bus-powered
Hama USB 2.0 Hub 1:4 Black, Bus-powered

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job and does it well, 25 Mar. 2013
Chances are if you're reading this you're also experiencing the pain of having too many USB devices and not enough ports to service their needs. The short and sweet version of this review is this is an inexpensive product that takes that pain away.

I set this up on the front of my PC case so I could leave my iPhone charger, Kindle charger and headset charger plugged in at once. As an added bonus the USB slot along the bottom of the device houses my Lastpass authentication USB drive giving me easy access to it when I need it.

All this means I can have all my devices plugged in at once without the hassle of having to hotswap them as I go. So far I've owned this for a few months and it has worked perfectly for me even with all the devices charging/being used at once. What more could you want?

The only disadvantage if I had to think of one would be the cable is quite short. So you couldn't really get away with plugging it in at the back of your machine and running it to the front if that's what you intend to do. I really feel like I'm nitpicking at this stage however for a product that is otherwise well priced, does its job and is delivered with the usual efficiency I've come to expect from Amazon.

Cyber Clean Home and Office Pop-Up Cup - Single (145g)
Cyber Clean Home and Office Pop-Up Cup - Single (145g)
Offered by die-geschenkidee

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and certainly useful!, 25 Mar. 2013
I ordered about six of these after listening to a friend in the office talk about them. Why six? Because other people there were equally enthralled at the prospect of playing with "Ghost Busters Goo" that also cleaned and sanitised a keyboard. Whilst the Ghost Busters reference might be a little age specific I can certainly attest to the fun and cleaning to be had with this product. Yes it is a little bit of a gimmick but it does also work!

What's good?

It is able to grab hair and crumbs from between the keys without you having to prize them off.
It coats the keys with an antibacterial agent which is certainly good if someone else has been using your keyboard!

The Bad?

If your keyboard is actually dirty it doesn't go far in the way of actually cleaning it.
The scent is a little potent and takes a while to wash off your hands.

Overall

If you're looking for something a bit fun that can get light amounts of dust, crumbs and hairs then this will do the job nicely. If your keyboard is actually dirty and in need of a good clean then you'd probably be better off with conventional brushes and wipes. It is quite handy being able to grab stuff from between the keys without having to pry them off or bang the keyboard upside down however, so a combination of the two certainly can't hurt! Overall I'd recommend it for light daily cleaning and the fun factor but if you want serious cleaning power perhaps you should look elsewhere.