Profile for GRAHAM CROWDER > Reviews

Content by GRAHAM CROWDER

GRAHAM CROWDER

Sun Certified Network Administrator for Solaris 8 Study Guide (Sun Microsystems Press)
by Richard D. Bushnell
Price: 21.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider carefully - riddled with errors, 28 Feb 2004
I bought this book on the strength of its endorsement by Sun. Unfortunately however, I found it to be riddled with errors - the DHCP chapter in particular is a complete mess and propagates mis-spelt command names throughout. When I emailed Prentice Hall with some errata, they didn't even have the courtesy to send me an automated acknowledgement.
Some of the chapters in here are very good, but because of the variable quality and poor attention to detail during proofreading, I would only recommend this guide to people who have access to Sun systems and are able to try things out. I passed my SCNA with a high score, but only because I have the luxury of access to test equipment. If you don't have this, and are relying solely on this book, you may struggle. If you are a borderline case where every exam question counts, I'd hate to see a failure because you have referenced incorrect information from this supposedly official source.
This is a wide-ranging and complex topic to cover, and nobody is perfect, but accuracy is critical and I'm afraid this book may let you down.
Sorry Prentice Hall, but you really must try harder.

Painting It Red
Painting It Red
Price: 9.05

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you, 7 Jan 2001
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
As with some of the other reviewers, I found that certain tracks were an acquired taste. However, after a few plays I find it very difficult to pick out a "wrong'un". The weakest of the selection (Closer Than Most or The River, IMHO) would still stand out confidently on their own. It is nice to hear Dave Hemingway being given a chance to exercise his vastly under-rated vocal skills and velvet harmony. The Meditteranean makes a beautiful contrast with some of the darker tracks on this album, and it it executed superbly. I have to wonder whether the sublime Tupperware Queen will ever see the singles shelves after Jacqui's departure. I sincerely hope so.
In three words: BUY THIS ALBUM.

Now That's What I Call Quite Good
Now That's What I Call Quite Good
Price: 7.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that's what I call timeless, 7 Jan 2001
Although I grew up with 70's and 80's music, somehow I missed the Housemartins. Hearing this album makes me wish I had paid more attention. What strikes me the most is that so many of these tracks are as relevant and sharply observed today as they were when they were recorded. Songs such as Build, You've Got A Friend and Flag Day speak volumes. They have a certain rawness, an edgy urgency, and I firmly believe that people need to hear these works of art and vicious social commentary.