Profile for R. MACKENZIE > Reviews

Content by R. MACKENZIE

R. MACKENZIE (Oxford UK)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful in tackling depression and anxiety..., 16 Aug 2010
Jon Kabat-Zinn is a pioneer in the treatment of various conditions, both mental and physical. In these CD's Kabat-Zinn teaches the listener the age old technique of Mindfulness. Mindfulness has been proved in the medical and psychological world to significantly reduce the chances of relapse and severity of depression.

I can also testify to its powerful positive affects on my depression over the years.

This professionally recorded work is a must for just about anyone that wants more peace and more meaning in life.

Be well,

Overcoming Anxiety
Overcoming Anxiety
by Helen Kennerley

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately this was not a great read..., 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: Overcoming Anxiety (Paperback)
The grammar, spelling and cover blurbs were great; however the main content of the book was nothing new. In fact, a ten to twenty minute search on the internet would get you just about all the information found in this book.

I have read many other titles within the `Overcoming' range and found that all that I have read to be interesting, informative and inspirational. This book in my opinion was different. It lacked much of what the others provide, which is a shame as I am sure a lot of people could benefit if this book was rewritten and republished.

I really wanted to have got something out of this book, but I simply did not. And in fairness I can only give this book 2 stars.

All in the Mind
All in the Mind
by Alastair Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars For me the book was excellent and somewhat important..., 10 Nov 2008
This review is from: All in the Mind (Hardcover)
As a person that has suffered depression in the past and as someone that treats clients that are currently battling their way through mental health issues, I found this book to be a fascinating insight into the world of sufferers and into the potential problems that the professionals that treat them may obtain through their working life.

For me the book was excellent and somewhat important. You see, as a therapist one of the challenges in treating people with depression, is the way that people react to their illnesses (sometimes not even seeing them as ill at all, but attention seeking). For far too long many people have been misunderstood when they convey to friends and family that they are suffering from a mental health issue such as depression. This book would certainly help to educate those friends and family members that are willing to be open minded and to learn.

All of the story lines from the various characters were handled with respect and where delivered very interestingly.

I am looking forward to this becoming a film on the small screen sometime in the future and awaiting eagerly the announcement of Campbell's next novel.

I would be interested to hear the views of other therapists or sufferers of mental health issues on this book.

Author of Self-Change Hypnosis
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 7:10 PM BST

The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD)
by Mark Williams
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic, 24 Sep 2008
Before I start I just have to say that this book is FANTASTIC and is a really exciting step forward in the treatment of depression. At last - a non-drug approach to one of societies most overwhelming problems: Depression.

As a person who has suffered from depression in the past and as a therapist, I truly enjoyed this book from start to finish. It told me all I needed to know about mindfulness and taught me the process in a very comprehensive yet easy to follow way.

I had read several books on mindfulness by various authors before receiving this book. Compared against the others that I read, I found this one to be the most clear, so even if you do not suffer from depression, but are looking to learn mindfulness, this book could be just what you are looking for. The other bonus with this title is that it is not repetitive like similar titles I have read - it just tells you what you need to know.

Some observations that I would make though are as follows.

1. There were a few spelling and grammar mistakes throughout, however they didn't affect my `reading flow', so this should be an issue.
2. The layout of the separate sections could have been better laid out. It shows you how to follow an 8 week program in the end of the last chapter. I would have liked to seen it laid out so that you read and practice a section at a time rather than learning everything before you start.
3. There is a warning in a couple of places in the book that warn you not to us the program in is entirely now if you are experiencing an episode of clinical depression. This somewhat confused me as the title of the book is `The Mindful Way THROUGH Depression.
4. The book comes with a CD... It was recorded using the voice of one of the authors, Jon Kabat Zinn. The meditation entitled `The Body Scan' seemed a little rushed. As a personal preference, I used an old CD that I had from Jon that was much better quality for me and worked well.

These were the only negative things that I picked up and wanted to include them to make this review as balanced as possible. There were so many things right with this book though that the comments above are small concerns against all the things that you will get out of reading it.

So in conclusion: this book is easy to follow, very inspirational and motivates you to learn mindfulness and overcome your depression. It is simply fantastic.

Author of Self-Change Hypnosis

Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: How to Turn Your Fear and Indecision into Confidence and Action
by Susan Jeffers
Price: 5.51

4.0 out of 5 stars One That Will Stick Out on the Bookshelf, 8 Dec 2007
I had this book sat on my bookshelf for a great many weeks before eventually getting round to reading it. I would have read it so much earlier if I had only known what a gem it was going to turn out to be.

As a therapist I spend a lot of time reading, learning and relearning techniques that will not only help my clients, but help me to live a more joyful and rewarding life. Feel the Fear and do it Anyway is one of those titles that like many self-help books focuses heavily on cognitive behavioral techniques. In my opinion, this is what makes it such a massive seller the world over.

The book has twelve, easy to read chapters that are mostly filled with excellent learnings that you 'will' be able to implement in your life without too much effort, however some of them are big life changers and you may find them a bit of a challenge.

If you are an avid reader of self-help books you will certainly have heard Susan Jeffers message before, however she does offer some uniqueness throughout.

Before I get to the crux of why I think this book is fantastic I want to cover a few things that I thought were downsides to the title.

Firstly, I found that it delivered the information too quickly. Right in the first few chapters I was left with loads of tips, but didn't find it easy as to where I should start. Something better may have suggested 'do this day one' and 'this on day two' and so on. A sort of calendar of events type of structure would have been fantastic. This isn't a big deal, however it did make me feel overwhelmed a little at the beginning.

Secondly, Susan kept referring to other 'self-help materials' that she recommends. At the start of the book these announcements were often and it felt like I was being back ended with sales of other products. Once or twice would have been fine, but I lost count how many times it was suggested that I get other materials such as the tapes and books that were listed at the back of the book. This actually was a big disappointment as they seem like cheap little tactics, however it shouldn't overcast that this is a very special book.

Third and lastly, it all got a little spiritual and preachy in chapter 11. This will be fantastic for most, however for me it was a bit of a turn off. I am not going to say too much on this as I don't wish to offend those with beliefs in the 'spiritual realm' or that we 'are all connected through the universe' somehow, but what I will say it that it discredited what could have been a fantastic chapter (in my opinion!).

Having said that, I really do love this book for many reasons. One of the those reasons is that once you get your head around the message, you will think 'now why didn't I think of that'. Apart from chapter 11 when (as I said) it gets a bit spiritual and new-agey, it is pretty much logical and easy to accept, although as I said it could have been better structured.

So in conclusion: Fantastic message, the writing has a nice flow and is easy to read, however it could do with a lot of restructuring. Then it truly would be fabulous instead of just fantastic.

If you are serious about growing as an individual then I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.

I will certainly be looking forward to the chance of reading the sequel in the near future.

Overcoming Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Overcoming Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
by David Veale

4.0 out of 5 stars The least that it will do is enlighten you to the disorder..., 10 Nov 2007
After reading this book, there are two points that I would like to raise before I give you my overall opinion, so bear with me.

Structure: The structure of the book is not the best and at times may confuse an individual using it to overcome their Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. You have to keep referring to the appendix which is a section that probably amounts to one third of the book. You may need to read a few of the chapters twice before you get the understanding that you will need.

Spelling and grammar: There were problems with spelling and grammar throughout the book, which were annoying but didn't really create a massive problem.

My overall thoughts on this book is that it is an excellent resource for OCD sufferers and therapists alike. It is very rich with 'real' help and advice that is reasonably easy to implement. If you suffer from OCD or are a therapist that helps others with OCD then you really should make a commitment to yourself to read this book. The least that it will do is enlighten you to the disorder.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2008 1:00 PM BST

Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money
Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money
by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Price: 8.48

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read!, 10 April 2007
The thing that I love most about this book is that it caused me to kick myself repeatedly while reading and kept me repeating my new found mantra 'why didn't I think of that before!'

I picked up my copy on Friday, after months of having it on my `to do' list. By Sunday I was amazed with the things that I had learned - not just from what Robert teaches, but from the new way of thinking that this book gives you.

There is a lot in there about investing - something that I will get into soon, however just by applying what I have learned from this book into my company has already boosted profits and that's just in a few days and around all of the other stuff that I have to do to run my business.

Page by page the book gave me a new feeling of excitement that renewed and intensified my passion for success.

This book is not for everyone, especially those that don't want achievement, however if you want success then I would say that it is a must read - just don't wait as long as I did to get you hands on it!

Anyone Can Do It: My Story
Anyone Can Do It: My Story
by Duncan Bannatyne

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Read That Everyone Can Learn From..., 16 Feb 2007
I love this book for many reasons; however my biggest reason is that this is both a story about success in business and is also about success in life. So many entrepreneurs strive forward because they never find contentment within the life that they have. It is great to see that Duncan Bannatyne has both contentment in the present and excitement about the future!

This book is not just a must for entrepreneurs, but it is for anyone that needs a little bit of a nudge in the right direction. I really believe in the saying "You decide the limits of impossibilities" and in this book you really see how a young guy guy Clydebank with little education really did achieve the impossible and achieve the life of his dreams.

This book will make you laugh and cry, but best of all it will inspire you.

Do yourself a favour and get this great book today...