Profile for Alice M > Reviews

Content by Alice M

Alice M (UK)

The Rough Guide to The Gambia (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to The Gambia (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Emma Gregg

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, turned my holiday into a fantastic adventure, 28 Jun. 2007
The Gambia's the kind of place where it's fun to just relax by the pool and do nothing. But it's even more fun to get out and about, having adventures! This book helped me do exactly that.

Without the Rough Guide, I would have missed out on so much. I chose my hotel on the basis of a review in the book, and loved the place. And in just a week I took boat trips along amazing mangrove creeks, visited crazy markets, and met really friendly villagers. The book tells it how it is, so you're not left wondering which trip/lodge/restaurant to choose. It's also really good on background info. I'd definitely recommend it.

"Time Out" Marrakech: Essaouira and the High Atlas
"Time Out" Marrakech: Essaouira and the High Atlas
by Time Out Guides Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars invaluable advice, 28 Jun. 2007
I used this book on my first ever visit to Marrakech and Essaouira and it gave me all the confidence I needed to get the most out of each - spot on.

In Search of the Pangolin - Eco-travel Tales
In Search of the Pangolin - Eco-travel Tales
by Satyajit Das

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, warm, delightful, 28 Jun. 2007
Whether you (like the authors) are an ardent eco-traveller or more of an armchair-traveller, if you have a love of wildlife then you will love this gentle, funny book. The authors really are excellent company - I'd really like to settle down with them beside a campfire somewhere deep in the jungle and hear more stories like these!

Lanzarote Tour and Trail Map (Discovery Walking Guides)
Lanzarote Tour and Trail Map (Discovery Walking Guides)
by David Brawn
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb map that really is super-durable!, 28 Jun. 2007
We loved this map - the detail is excellent. Whether you're exploring Lanzarote in a hire car, on foot or by bike it's incredibly useful - and we loved the fact that it refused to fall apart, no matter how badly we treated it!

All we took with us to plan our trip was this and the Rough Guide (Lanzarote Directions by Emma Gregg) - which is brilliant too - and we had a great time, with lots of off-the-beaten-track adventures!

Beat About the Bush
Beat About the Bush
by Trevor Carnaby

4.0 out of 5 stars great, but left me wanting more, 28 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Beat About the Bush (Paperback)
For anybody who's been on safari in Africa and wants all their animal questions answered, this book is a very good start. It's full of interesting stuff about behaviour etc. What's there is really good - so good that I wanted more - more detail, more species, more topics. Volume Two please!

Rough Guide DIRECTIONS Lanzarote & Fuerteventura
Rough Guide DIRECTIONS Lanzarote & Fuerteventura
by Emma Gregg

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - we bought this on impulse and it made our trip, 28 Jun. 2007
We chose this Lanzarote guidebook as it seemed much fresher than the others (we already know the island a bit). We're SO GLAD we did - it took us to loads of amazing places we'd never have found by ourselves, including some very pretty villages and some really good restaurants and wineries. The chapter on Fuerteventura was useful too, as we spent a couple of days over there.

We'd recommend this book to anyone. It opened our eyes to a whole new side of Lanzarote and we enjoyed our trip so much we're going to book three weeks next time!

The White Masai
The White Masai
by Corinne Hofmann

5.0 out of 5 stars engrossing stuff, 28 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The White Masai (Paperback)
While I often found it hard to sympathise with the narrator, I kept on turning the pages. Anybody who's ever wondered whether marriages which cross the 'development divide', uniting people from utterly different backgrounds, can ever really work, will find plenty of food for thought here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2011 12:55 PM BST

Zanzibar: Pemba - Mafia (Bradt Travel Guides)
Zanzibar: Pemba - Mafia (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Susan Shand

4.0 out of 5 stars very thorough!, 28 Jun. 2007
I'm a big fan of Bradt Guides and found this very useful for background info prior to my trip. Really appreciated all the research that had obviously gone into it.